The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

For those who haven't read the Collymore article the link is below. It is worth a read and may alter opinions of Sherwood and the task in hand.....

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/stan-collymore-statement-home-truths-about-aston-villa/

It says nothing we didn't already know apart from "Waaaaaaaaah the club have stopped me writing articles after I criticised them" 

The sourest of sour grapes from a notorious, albeit passionate plank. 

• Like 3

But the point is, Sherwood isn't struggling because of those reasons.

It's his own fault for making the same mistakes over and over again which is the reason he got the boot at Spurs (with far better players!)

I've never known someone talk so much shit either.

I actually Sherwood is struggling (on the whole) because of the players he has brought. We  loose game after game, yet people are saying we have a good squad of players ?.

Sure Sherwood and his tactics don't help, but many of those players brought aren't up to it at this level, whoever the manager.

• Like 1

This one will definitely not save us.

A fair few on here said the same when he arrived last season, that turned out ok.

Personally I hope he gets until at least Christmas to turn things around.

by christmas we will be around 10 points away from safety

This one will definitely not save us.

A fair few on here said the same when he arrived last season, that turned out ok.

Personally I hope he gets until at least Christmas to turn things around.

by christmas we will be around 10 points away from safety

If we get to Christmas with Sherwood in charge then we may as well keep him. We'll be as good as relegated by then.

It is not Sherwood's fault according to Jenas.

EXCLUSIVE: JERMAINE JENAS: Aston Villa will get relegated but it won’t be Tim Sherwood’s fault. Yahoo Sport's global football ambassador wonders why 'arrogant' Villa expect to do better than last season when they have sold their best players. 

Tim Sherwood apparently has one game left to save his job after Aston Villa’s latest defeat, at Chelsea on Saturday, but I don’t understand why the club’s board is surprised at the position they are in.

From what I hear the players at Villa like Sherwood as a manager, so he hasn’t lost the group. Villa are where they deserve to be in the table simply based on the squad they have. When I was at QPR and we got promoted to the Premier League, we went into that season knowing we would be in a relegation fight. I don't understand why Villa are not in that mindset, or what gives them the arrogance to think otherwise.

My first dealings with Sherwood were when he was doing his coaching badges at Spurs. He wanted to become a manager and you could tell he had the credentials for it. I was immediately impressed by the way he tried to reward players who he thought were working hard in training. He was the one person who always stood up to Harry Redknapp and told him who he thought should and shouldn't be playing.

Harry surrounded himself with a lot of people to get different points of view, but not many others were prepared to go against the grain. Tim took an interest in me from an early stage, especially when I went through a period of not playing. He instilled a belief in me that I had lost a little bit in myself, and after working with him in the Under-21s I got back into the first team and was playing in the Champions League.

Sherwood is an emotional manager and that can bring huge benefits. When Villa got to the Cup final that was largely due to his passion, energy and belief in players like Jack Grealish, Fabian Delph and Christian Benteke, who all improved after Sherwood arrived. He’s proved that when he works with good players, he can make good things happen.

The only time I’ve seen Sherwood’s emotional side have a negative effect is when Tottenham lost a game at Chelsea and he dug out a few people publically and questioned some of his players’ “mentality”. That’s about as bad as it gets for a player because it implies you are weak, and that rant upset some of Tottenham’s squad. But he’s still developing and learning as a manager – this is only his second job, and his first one didn’t last long - and I think he learned a lot from that.

Not that he won’t still have those types of discussions with players to their faces. There was an incident at Tottenham, at a time where he wasn’t even manager, when he was watching a game against Chelsea from the stands and Benoit Assou-Ekotto did something that severely annoyed him. We were in the dressing room after the match, having lost, and suddenly Sherwood came flying through the door.

I can’t remember what Benny had done exactly, but Sherwood was angrily letting him know what he thought about it. I was taken aback because he wasn’t the assistant manager or manager; he was mainly brought it to observe. But he showed he was prepared to say the things that others maybe weren’t. He’s argumentative, but sometimes it’s good to have an argument.

You won’t ever take that emotion out of him. That’s why he throws his jacket around and screams and kicks. One of the things that used to frustrate him was how simple the game really is, and how complicated people make it. He’s a massive believer in working harder than your opponent, which was also what his game was about as a player. He would get frustrated if players weren’t prepared to do a bit of extra work in training, and especially if that then translated onto the pitch.

I remember at half-time of a reserve match at Spurs, he was so angry he literally lined up every player, and one by one told them what they were doing wrong. I’ve never seen that before – a manager going through every single player and just annihilating them. But at the end of it was a positive message – let’s improve. It was refreshing – it’s a different type of management to what we’ve become used to. Everyone expects managers to be so prim and proper and media trained, but I prefer the passionate approach that Tim has, and I’d like to see it more.

I think he did a decent job at Spurs overall, but the one thing he didn't get to do as a manager - until the last transfer window - was buy players. Villa’s summer recruitment hasn’t gone to plan, but the question is how many of those signings were Sherwood’s.

He was interested in buying established Premier League players like Aaron LennonAndros Townsend, Emmanuel Adebayor and Esteban Cambiasso, but instead they have signed a lot of young players from the French league. They are using something akin to the 'Moneyball' system led by a guy called Paddy Reilly. When I was at Villa Park in 2011, he was the one showing us DVDs of the opposition and giving us a rundown of the players we'd be facing.

But he's been massively promoted and now seems to have a hand in most major decisions made at the club, including transfer dealings. I understand it’s him who suggests players to the board, and many of those are the ones who have been signed. When you take into account the sales of Benteke and Delph, Villa’s net spend over the summer was just £7m, which is a pittance in Premier League terms. They were a bad team last season, who did well to avoid relegation, and now they are a worse team. They’ve lost their two best players. So what did Villa’s board expect to happen?

I'm not sure Sherwood has been given what he wanted in terms of transfer targets, and now he is being asked to turn water into wine. That’s why I think Villa will get relegated, with or without Tim Sherwood.

I think he did a decent job at Spurs overall, but the one thing he didn't get to do as a manager - until the last transfer window - was buy players. Villa’s summer recruitment hasn’t gone to plan, but the question is how many of those signings were Sherwood’s.

So basically.

He's good overall, apart from buying players where he's unproven.

Now he's done that, if it's failed then it wasn't his fault anyway.

Got you loud and clear Jermaine.

• Like 3

The problem I have with the "the team need time to settle" argument is that they're not settling. I was saying the same thing after a few games.

But it's not like the team are improving. It's not like you can watch a game and think "I can see what's being built here, but it's going to take time". It's aimless. Nobody looks like they're improving. if anything, players look like they're being unsettled.

The fans don't know what the direction is, the players don't appear to know, and the manager has openly admitted he doesn't know what to do.

I find it quite bizarre that people are comfortable with that.

I don't think anyone is comfortable with that.

I am not convinced any other manager can do any better, but that does not make me comfortable with consistently losing either.

Right now, for what ever reason, the players are not good enough to gain wins, unless some basic elements in their game change it will continue, I'm equally not convinced tactics are the main concern, i think individual issues are more at the core of the problem, which makes me unconvinced a new manager can change it.....however if it happens, i hope i am wrong.

There are many reasons put forward, why we are struggling, but I fail to see how another manager can improve us, unless it is more malicious than misdirected.

There is always things that "go on" that we don't get to know about and I guess right now it will be pass the hot potato.

Finally, I think we have a much bigger problem than JUST Tim Sherwood.

• Like 1

There's a reason why Jenas rhymes with Anus.

Interesting that the Sherwood propaganda machine is now turning on Reilly.  When I saw them together they were like best mates and it was clear Reilly was subservient to Sherwood

• Like 3

Interesting that the Sherwood propaganda machine is now turning on Reilly.  When I saw them together they were like best mates and it was clear Reilly was subservient to Sherwood

It's not interesting if Reilly was responsible for transfers though, is it?

But sure, Jenas provides an opinion that doesn't stick to the narrative of hating Sherwood so, y'know, what an anus!

• Like 1

You're completely sure that after the ONE time you saw them, he is subservient to Sherwood?

As long as Fox and Lerner know what time it is, I couldn't care less what Jenas, Collymore or any other ex players think of Sherwood. They'll never blame the manager, it's like an old pals act.

• Like 1

Carragher and Neville saying similar things. Sherwood's management of the team is currently an issue, but he's not the one whose killing the club. He needs to be replaced but we'll be back in this position again fairly soon if nothing else changes.

We have been poor under Sherwood since the 2nd half against West Ham last season , the loss's against Southampton , Burnley and the cup final where due to the players being losers..

Preseason was mediocre and carried on the theme of conceding too many goals but well results don't matter said Sherwoods its about fitness ( which now we still dont have ) 

Then we go into the season and we are still poor but this is due to 1)Players not fit enough 2)Wrong players brought 3) Not enough mavericks in the team 4) Not listening to his instructions and thats just 4 of the excuses I can remember !!

We know the issues in the background with Randy wanting out but dear god there is no way that alot of the current issues on the pitch are due to poor management from team selection to tactics to subs all of it is a mess.Yes not one person in the media has brought this up.The club deserve criticism but he is getting a free ride and even if sacked now will clearly leave with his reputation intact...

• Like 3

Jenas mentioning Reilly, it's obvious he's been told by Sherwood about him. He even mentioned the previous job he did at Villa, so what the guy has been given a promotion, it happens. He's basically trying to discredit Reilly and saying Tim is doing a decent job when it's clear he isn't.

• Like 2

Â