The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Count me out RE: Bradley. Too big a risk IMO - he's not managed at this sort of level before, certainly not at a club that resembles ours. We need experience, badly. 

I don't know if PL experience is going to count for that much. BB has had a pretty varied career, and obviously has a brain in his head. I think he'd cope about as well as anyone.

I'd rather have Moyes in because he's been here and done it, but that can also be a bad thing. Everton will always be Moyes's PL club, whereas Villa could be Bradley's (assuming he's forgiven us for rather shoddy treatment of his son by McLeish).

Saying that we might not have the option of getting either of them.

We cant afford a risk again. Not at this stage.

We really should have gone for Big Sam. Moyes or Rodgers is the only real option. Neither really have experience in relegation battles all that much either. Its a different sort of pressure. Would love to see how someone like Mourinho would cope with the pressure of the Villa job. ( i know it wont ever happen).

Its a tough gig. Almost have to set up your team and tactics a complete different way. Not sure too many managers available to keep us up now..... almost better off keeping Tim.

I just cant see us getting another 34 points to stay up. Seems so far away.. other seasons we had got off to a much better start... we have folded early..

Just seen interview with joe Cole saying that Sherwood needs time as its a new team and these days you need time, thought fair point but then thought ok we bring in Moyes, Rodgers etc, how much time do we give them???

He has had enough time and has failed miserably.

Is 24 league games really enough time though?

It's more time than Alan Irvine and Neil Warnock received in similar circumstances recently. 

Just seen interview with joe Cole saying that Sherwood needs time as its a new team and these days you need time, thought fair point but then thought ok we bring in Moyes, Rodgers etc, how much time do we give them???

He has had enough time and has failed miserably.

Is 24 league games really enough time though?

It's more time than Alan Irvine and Neil Warnock received in similar circumstances recently. 

And after reacting, both Palace and West Brom went on to stay up comfortably 

I have seen a lot of Bob Bradley and Stabæk over the last two years, as it is my local team in Norway. What he has done with the club over the last two years is unbelievable. I would be delighted if he were to take over Villa, how he still manages Stabæk is hard to believe. The guy has that extreme winning mentality you can only find in Americans. He always go for 3 points, he even did the first matches last year when the squad average age was 19.9 years and the club had the lowest budget in the league. 

Bradley is a special manager, and I think everyone that has followed his career will be as baffled as I am that he is still managing a small club in Norway.

• Like 3

It's either today or another match. Crossed fingers for the former... 

When Lambert got sacked he pretty much went 1/8 on over night. 

Sherwood is now as big as 1/5 on

Edited by Kingman

I think Bob Bradley would be fantastic. His CV is excellent. He has shown himself to be a highly motivated, pragmatic organiser of men. I am given the strong impression that everywhere he has been he has gotten every ounce of talent out of the players at his disposal.

He is one of the founding fathers of "soccer" in the US and is credited with turning the US national team into a genuine force by making them well drilled, well organised and making the very most of their strengths. He is everything Sherwood is not as well as some of the things he is and has the skillset that translates to pretty much every level.

I can't help but think that he's basically kicking back in Norway, enjoying life. But if he wants the limelight and the challenge we could do much, much worse.

• Like 1

I think we could do worse than Bradley too. he wouldn't be my first choice by a long shot, but I think he'd do ok. Probably too much of a gamble this time though.

Plus, I think it's just the usual lazy link when we've got a manager under pressure because Lerner is American. Doubt there's anything in it

• Like 1

My thoughts are that the English premier league in unique - its pace, power, ariel threat aren't so prevalent in any other leagues, thats why so many overseas managers flounder over hear. Im gutted we missed Big Sam - but onwards and upwards ......I actually think we will beat swansea on saturday - thus prolonging the agony - but you never know the stars may align that we sack Sherwood as Moyes gets the sack.....

Of the muted names Moyes would be my first choice - I wouldn't rule out Laudrup, Bradley I feel has potential, but would be risky , I wouldn't want Person or Rodgers.

All that said I really think we are up against it , I don't think we have the players this season. I m not totally convinced we haven't spunked £50m up the wall to be honest..  

Am I alone here in thinking Harry Monk would never come here. He's been a Swansea man most his career and did a good job last season. They started well this year too but results have dipped. They will pick up again Saturday with a convincing away win and things will be rosy again, like always for the "team in need", after playing the Villa. Non starter for me.

Only viable option I see right now is Moyes getting the sack if Sociedad lose again with the locals already starting chants for him to "go home" lol. Sherwood could be gone too just in time, with their sackings coinciding.

Am I alone here in thinking Harry Monk would never come here. He's been a Swansea man most his career and did a good job last season. They started well this year too but results have dipped. They will pick up again Saturday with a convincing away win and things will be rosy again, like always for the "team in need", after playing the Villa. Non starter for me.

Only viable option I see right now is Moyes getting the sack if Sociedad lose again with the locals already starting chants for him to "go home" lol. Sherwood could be gone too just in time, with their sackings coinciding.

Probably, Ive never heard of Harry Monk!

Edited by Kingman

I'd want Moyes at any time this season, even if it is too late, because with him in charge I'd be very confident of a promotion from the championship. Not so much with Paolo di Sherwood.

Find it unlikely Moyes would want to join Villa though, even if he gets the sack.  

I'd want Moyes at any time this season, even if it is too late, because with him in charge I'd be very confident of a promotion from the championship. Not so much with Paolo di Sherwood.

Find it unlikely Moyes would want to join Villa though, even if he gets the sack.  

Really ? - I think Moyes would jump at the chance.

The only reason I could see him declining us is that he might want a break from football for a few weeks\months. He could get another job at the start of next season and not walk head first into a relegation battle.

Foxy knows it has to be done - the science says so, as this study from last year demonstrates - http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13606719.2014.910000

You don't know what you're doing! The impact of managerial change on club performance in the English Premier League

Abstract

It is widely regarded that the role of the football manager is one of chronic insecurity. The pressure on the modern day football manager for consistently high club performance is intense, particularly due to the continuing rise in revenues available to clubs competing in elite leagues. Managerial change often occurs when a clubs’ form declines. However, whether managerial change is beneficial for a club remains unclear. This study addresses this area of examination by analysing data on managerial changes within the last decade (2003/2004 to 2012/2013) in the English Premier League. The main findings of this study were that managerial changes led to an increase in points per match but did not necessarily lead to an improvement in final league position. Further analysis revealed that when considering final league position, clubs in the bottom half of the table improved their final league position, while clubs in the top half did not.

The main findings of this study were that managerial changes led to an increase in points per match but did not necessarily lead to an improvement in final league position. Further analysis revealed that when considering final league position, clubs in the bottom half of the table improved their final league position, while clubs in the top half did not.

Basically, if you have a decent/good manager it's difficult to find a better one. If you have a shit one, it's not that difficult to find a less shit one. 

He wont be gone before Swansea, not a chance in hell. They will wait to see result on Saturday. 

There was someone posted on here a couple of days back but cant remember who.  They made a good point in saying that if a club is waiting for 1 more result to decide whether to let a manager go or not, then the manager in all intensive purposes should already be gone.  

In the grand scheme of things one match wont change anything.

• Like 1

The main findings of this study were that managerial changes led to an increase in points per match but did not necessarily lead to an improvement in final league position. Further analysis revealed that when considering final league position, clubs in the bottom half of the table improved their final league position, while clubs in the top half did not.

Basically, if you have a decent/good manager it's difficult to find a better one. If you have a shit one, it's not that difficult to find a less shit one. 

Guess we'll be adding to that statistic soon enough.

• Like 1

Â