The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Those that want Sherwood out and another manager to take over this team cannot see the bigger picture. Regardless of who we bring in, Aston Villa Football Club will still have the same problems that they had when Paul Lambert was manager or when Alex McLeish and Gerard Houllier were managers.

Of course there will still be problems, that isn't up for debate. It's clear to see that the club needs a re-shape from top to bottom.

That doesn't mean they should throw petrol on the fire by continuing to employ a man who is clearly a] not even a football manager b] embarrassingly out of his depth and c] steering us towards relegation due to his incompetence.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Carragher saying Sherwood has done a 'very, very good job'

Piss off you scouse clearing in the woods

I don't think he's done as bad a job as people on here are making out - although it's certainly not "very, very good" :D

• Like 2

I don't think he's done as bad a job as people on here are making out - although it's certainly not "very, very good" :D

not many managers in the world would be able to cope with the spine of his team ripped out never mind their 1st job

• Like 1

I'm not sure what Stan expected, you can't give your employer Pelter's on national radio and in the written press and expect to keep your job. 

Whether or not his views are correct or otherwise is irrelevant.

He is untitled to his opinion.Its becoming a dictatorship now at Villa. Your not allowed an opinion.

He is right we are a laughing stock and all the signs point to a club going down. Crap manager, board vs manager, manager critising players openly. team cant score. just negative atmosphere at the club. If Collymore isnt allowed to praise sherwood then why have they still got him in charge?

Le Tissier and Shearer have got in trouble at their clubs for similar things

not a Villa thing

Just because it occurred at other clubs doesn't mean its acceptable at our club in my view

If you slagged the company you worked for off in public and the national press, would you be surprised if they decided not to employ you anymore?

What did he actually say? I was under the impression he was just supporting Sherwood?

I caught the back end of his show on TS last night and he gave the club both barrels. To paraphrase, our director is nothing more than a PR guy, Lerner doesn't give a toss about the club, blah blah.

Now Dem I agree with you that all the criticism is warranted, where I think we disagree is that you simply can not expect to retain employment after slagging off your employers on national radio.

The club has done nothing wrong iny view.

not many managers in the world would be able to cope with the spine of his team ripped out never mind their 1st job

He's only lost Benteke of that spine.

And according to you he's got a better player than Delph in Gana.

So what's the problem?

On no planet has he done a very, very good job.

Good last year, utterly atrocious this, evens out at poor overall.

Don't even think we've been utterly atrocious this year.  A lot of it is down to the rebuilding exercise.  Overall, I don't think we've been that poor.  West Brom and Stoke were bad games, but we still haven't ever looked like we're on the end of a hiding.

He's done alright.  He just seems lost right now.

So what's the problem?

Vlaar, Cleverley

So what's the problem?

Yeah.

The only difference is that we don't have Benteke.

That's it.

So what's the problem?

Vlaar, Cleverley

Vlaar barely played last season.
I imagine he knew Cleverley was going well before he left so he should have planned for that. if the players he brought into replace Cleverley aren't up to the job then that's his fault.

So what's the problem?

Yeah.

That's it.

miss-the-point.png

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

A good (experienced) manager would have got us 3 points at Leicester, a point at Palace and probably a point at home against Sandwell which would have had us sitting 16th.

How can people not see that a half decent manager will make a big difference to where we finish this season?

• Like 2

So what's the problem?

Yeah.

That's it.

miss-the-point.png

You're the one twisting words and then being deliberately awkward over Gueye/Delph.

The team that played our last game against Burnley had the spine as Steer, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke.  He's replaced players with loads of others that quite obviously need time to settle and understand how their new teammates and new manager want them to play (noticed this was Sherwood's fault in your opinion - who bought the players though?).

"What's the problem?".  And you call me obtuse.

yeah to lose 4 1st choice key players and then assemble 4 new players as replacements is not easy as some people think it is especially when players dont all speak English as native language

Edited by Zatman

I agree with Stan. I fear I maybe a quiet minority reading this thread but I'd sooner have Sherwood than Monk, Rogers or Moyes.

Monk has inherited a good side and is continuing a philosophy that was put in place dating back to Martinez. Who incidentally has turned us down a few times. Monks performances as of late isn't enough to be warranting a frenzy over his appointment.

Rogers was outsmarted by 'Tactics Tim' in an FA Cup Semi Final and his ability to turn things around when the chips are down would concern me.

Moyes is struggling in Spain. There is debate about his time at Man Utd and even Everton fans that have said they should of achieved more under his time. Not only this he was appointed in 2002. Things have changed since then.

Sherwood got us out of a big mess last year. He has proven he can do it so I'd sooner back his corner. Much has been said about our net spend which was £8.25 million in the summer. This doesn't get you a decent keeper these days. Most teams would suffer losing Benteke, Delph and Cleverley let alone a team who scrapped past relegation. I think any of the names being branded around would only inherit the same problems and another 30 odd games down the line we would be here again. The heat has been turned up after the Chelsea game. A game that we should not of lost but a mistake by Guzan. Who I do believe Sherwood had earmarked as one of the first players to replace but funding wouldn't allow. I understand the frustrations! I haven't got my head in the sand, I see after watching them week after week we have been poor but I think a little more patience is needed. I really hope we can get a result Saturday and things turn around. For obvious reasons but also I'd like Sherwood to succeed as Villa manager.

I am going to sit on the fence regarding Sherwood as I have said from the start of the season that he will need a certain amount of games to get to know his best team. I personally would like him to get that time and see where we are then but, I also don't see why the club are sticking with him if they gave him just two games to save his job. They might just as well sack him and get in someone new.

I have a question for you though. If Swansea turn Villa over at the weekend, would you still see Sherwood as a better option than Monk? No hidden agenda behind my question, I am just wondering if a defeat would change your opinion.

You make a very good point. Having watched Swansea's 1-0 loss to Stoke last night they looked as bad, if not worse than us against the same team. Monk inherited a team with a philosophy and in a better position overall whilst Sherwood walked into a side losing 2-0 away to Hull and looking certain for the drop. A lot depends on Saturdays performance and the result but my concern is that we would be in the same position down the line with Monk in charge and we are using the well worn cliche that the grass is not always greener whilst back at the start of the cycle. I suppose the truth be told if we were turned over the knives would well and truly be out but whilst gutted I'd take a back seat. For me it is becoming simple. The only two ways we can escape the monotony of the yearly relegation battle is either a new owner who is willing to put ample funds to build a competitive team (which isn't looking likely). Or option B to hire a manager with view of building and develop a team on a small budget which of course will take time. Lambert tried, with time but eventually failed. It is a dangerous game to be playing but it seems in the clubs current situation it is the only option and I think Sherwood in the long run is one of the better options and Monk would do no better. 

So what's the problem?

Yeah.

That's it.

miss-the-point.png

You're the one twisting words and then being deliberately awkward over Gueye/Delph.

The team that played our last game against Burnley had the spine as Steer, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke.  He's replaced players with loads of others that quite obviously need time to settle and understand how their new teammates and new manager want them to play (noticed this was Sherwood's fault in your opinion - who bought the players though?).

"What's the problem?".  And you call me obtuse.

You can't seriously be counting Steer as the spine of the team?
Vlaar hardly played last season.

He lost Delph and benteke. According to you and Zat he's replaced Delph with a better player.

So that leaves Benteke. it's a big loss, but is that big enough to explain the dreadful performances we've seen so far?
I'm not sure it is.
That's before we even get to the fact he spent nearly 60 million on replacing the players who left. It's not like he didn't have anything to spend to replace them. If the players he bought to do that aren't up to it, then who's fault is that?
We can handle time to settle. But it's clear that's not what's happening. The players don't look like they are improving. We're regressing, if anything.

Nobody is saying Sherwood's had an easy job. What people are saying is he is failing at that job completely miserably.

Edited by Stevo985

Â