The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Just seen interview with joe Cole saying that Sherwood needs time as its a new team and these days you need time, thought fair point but then thought ok we bring in Moyes, Rodgers etc, how much time do we give them???

He has had enough time and has failed miserably.

Is 24 league games really enough time though?

Telegraph linking us to Monk from Swansea

http://tinyurl.com/qavk3tz

Well of course. Swansea are in freefall, so obviously their manage is the ideal candidate for us. You couldn't make this stuff up. The two main contenders to replace Sherwood are Moyes and Monk, both of whom are struggling in their current jobs (regardless of their previous performance, experience, pedigree). We should be looking for a manager who is on the up and looking to take us forward, not someone who is trying to escape their current job.

The way I see it is as follows -

Tim is currently one league defeat away from getting the sack i.e. we lose against Swansea and he's gone. The cup game at Southampton is a free hit in my eyes. Even if we beat Swansea, if we lose against Spurs that might be enough for the board to pull the trigger (depending on how far adrift we are then), but certainly defeat against Spurs and Man City and he's gone, regardless of a win against Swansea.

If he somehow manages to win the Swansea game and then get at least a point from Spurs, so he manages to conjure up 4-6 points from our next 2 games, then I think he will be given both the Man City and Everton games - from those I suspect he will need 2 points at least to survive. If he can do that, then a win against Watford will see him still in charge by the time we face Newcastle, regardless of our results against Southampton and Arsenal in the league.

So, in summary -  if we can beat Swansea and then pick up at least 3 points from Spurs, City and Everton (including at least 1 point from Spurs), I think he will still be in charge against Watford. If we then beat Watford, I think he will still be in charge against Newcastle. Bottom line - he just needs to stop the rot.

Sherwood has 24 league games might a decent start and hit a rocky slope

Interestingly 2006/07 under new manager MON we played some absolute dogshit up until 31 league games after a good start yet people saw signs of progress

The patience of football fans has really gone downhill?

Just seen interview with joe Cole saying that Sherwood needs time as its a new team and these days you need time, thought fair point but then thought ok we bring in Moyes, Rodgers etc, how much time do we give them???

Hell yes espically when you are already 4 points from safety and an embarassing 19th in the league even though we spent a lot of money

Bob Bradley has gone as low as 4/1 when I just checked odds checker from 10/1 to be next villa gaffer. 

Thought that was curious. Never heard of him. 

I was thinking of Bradley yesterday actually. I wonder how an American manager would be viewed in England and if he'd be accepted by the players. 

Doing a great job in Stabæk at the moment. 2.  in the league with a team that everyone thought would be relegated(its a shitty league on its way up, but still). Very highly thought of and respected by the players in the club, the club itself and other managers in the league. Wants full control and his own backroom staff. Would be delighted if he were to replace Sherwood. 

• Like 3

Not sure why Monk would join to be honest.  Also not sure he would be right for us.  Swansea is a weird club to pick managers from,  there's a philosophy at the club that runs deeper than the manager.  Its really difficult to judge a manager who's only experience is at a club like that.  

But Monk hasn't exactly gone with the 'philosophy' at all, has he? They are totally different under him and a lot more versatile. 

• Like 1

It totally depends on what you're seeing.

If we looked ok, like things were maybe coming together, the players weren't quite there but you could see the direction the team was taking and the manager was looking the part, then no, 24 games isn't enough.

But when you're seeing turgid football that is getting arguably worse every week, with the team looking directionless and unmotivated, with a manager who continues to embarrass himself both on and off the field, admitting himself tht he doesn't know what to do and that the players aren't listening to him, with absolutely no sign that we're going to get any points on the board any time soon, then yes. It's long enough. It's long enough to know that it's not working.

Edited by Stevo985

Sherwood has 24 league games might a decent start and hit a rocky slope

Interestingly 2006/07 under new manager MON we played some absolute dogshit up until 31 league games after a good start yet people saw signs of progress

The patience of football fans has really gone downhill?

That's complete rubbish. We had a decent start under MON. In the first 9 games we collected 15 points and didn't lose a game. Villa did then a dodgy patch over the christmas period but then came a solid 11th. 

Oh just to be a solid mid table side again.....

Yep, good point.

Comparing this start to MON's start is absolute nonsense. Completely different.

And the key is "sign of progress". There are no signs of progress under Sherwood. Quite the opposite.

I'm tempted to say Zatman is just liking Sherwood because everybody else doesn't, given his views on other managers.

Edited by Stevo985

We went on a midseason run of 13 games without a win plus lost at shit teams like Charlton, Bolton and a horrid display at Reading and got knocked out of both competitions early. We only avoided a relegation battle as MON somehow realised after 31.5 games that Berger was a decent player

Apologies if I missed an earlier reference to this, Sid Lowe was telling the Graundian Pod guys that Moyes has no intention of taking a Villa job, has just bought a new house in Spain, etc etc. Dunno how much stock to put in all that, but just saying ...

Sometimes, late at night, alone, when I feel very sad about our lot at Villa, and I begin thinking that our manager acts like a first-class dork, and things couldn't POSSIBLY be worse ...

On such dark evenings, I stretch out my mind, seeking solace amid the gathering doom clouds, and yea, my fellow Villans, I do reach, I say, I REACH, a gentle tendril of hope trying to find something to latch upon ... and I contemplate this picture ... and I think ...

It could be worse. 

2835921655.jpg

• Like 1

Doing a great job in Stabæk at the moment. 2.  in the league with a team that everyone thought would be relegated(its a shitty league on its way up, but still). Very highly thought of and respected by the players in the club, the club itself and other managers in the league. Wants full control and his own backroom staff. Would be delighted if he were to replace Sherwood.  (Skruff, above)

He strikes me as the exact opposite of Sherwood in every way. He'd be perfect :)

Â