The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He has infectious enthusiasm and his pragmatic explanations are plausible....He really does seem to have Nous

He is Charismatic and that will take him a long way.

.....but as we all know, its a results business and no one knows that more than TS.

After the obvious focus on results....I would like in the fullness of time for us to improve our " Ring Craft" sorry for using a boxing term....that for me, will raise the confidence levels to help acheive the results, much in the same way Swansea & Southampton have done.

Having said all that...there will be set backs and derailments.....its all about how we bounce back on track, that's how we will be judged.

Rewatched the full game this evening. Sherwood changed the game with his second substitution that had an immediate impact.

Gestede was on and we had just had our best chance from Westwood's attempted cross being put in towards him from an inside left position (the one that fell to Gabby, rebounded to Rudy, who couldn't connect as well as he would've like).

Eddie Howe played a card of his own. He put Gradel on the left which immediately caused Bacuna all sorts of problems. Caused two chances in a couple of minutes.

Veretout had mostly been on the right hand side of the three in the midfield in the second half but was tiring. He wouldn't be able to provide much cover for Bacuna.

Taking Veretout of for Sanchez provided the following:

• Move Westwood out wide to provide crosses to Gestede and has the discipline to know when to track back to cover Bacuna.
  • Sanchez in again to cover if Gradel cut inside in to a central position.
Sanchez's first touch? A ball out wide to Westwood who wins the corner with a dangerous cross. Puts in the corner that Rudy scores from.

Sherwood's first tactical reaction to the goal? Pointing to Guzan. Knew we had to concentrate at the back (conceded too many late goals in the last year).

You mean that Tactics Tim set ip a plan, that one of our players (Westwood, why I Never!) executed Tim's plan, AND that we had appropriate personal on the bench to make the plan a possibility (Sanchez and Gestede)?

The heady days that are Aston Villa now!

But in all seriousness the game was a success on a number of levels, and one being that Sherwood and co are a more switched on bunch then first thought. A few smart moves (playing defensively to stifle the crowd before coming out 2nd half, Micah as captain worked, a front trio all about pace and dribbling to keep Bournemouth on their toes and tire out before the Rudy express hit the station.) as well as that a lot of positive debuts from Tim signed players, and a good team performance considering how new the squad is, and a good defensive unit.

Big ups all round

Obviously the goal was the turning point but i actually think once Bacuna, Richards and the midfield got a hold of Gradel he was pretty much nullified.

I think he gave Bacuna problems but didn't Bacuna actually stop him on the second run? I think he blocked the cross out for a corner.

Bacuna's biggest issue isn't when we are deeper, it's when the opposition counter and he is forward. He isn't quite positionally aware yet of where he needs to be and I agree when people say a better winger will catch him out. Richards athleticism will help him massively there while he learns though.

I actually love tim. Finally glad to have a manager who shares nearly the same passion for the club as us fans

To be fair I think lambert fully appreciated the size and history of the club. He just did it in an incredibly dull way!

I think he understood it fine. The problem was that it was too much for him and he was trying to underplay our current status too much.  Sherwood has a different focus.  He wants to get us back to that.

I actually love tim. Finally glad to have a manager who shares nearly the same passion for the club as us fans

To be fair I think lambert fully appreciated the size and history of the club. He just did it in an incredibly dull way!

I think he understood it fine. The problem was that it was too much for him and he was trying to underplay our current status too much.  Sherwood has a different focus.  He wants to get us back to that.

said it before you need to be an arrogant bastard to manage Villa (in a good way not the DOL way) and think the size of the club took over Lambert especially after the maulings we took kicked any confidence he had out of him

Although I was far from a fan, I remember the quality of play early last season that earned Lambert another 4 years. Lets slow down a bit chaps. Although I have to admit things are looking up.

On another note, Sherwood giving Micah the captaincy was bang on. When was the last time you saw a Villa captain shout at the players to get us going.

It's been awhile since I have been 100% behind the manager at Villa. Taylor (1st spell) Atkinson,Little,Gregory are the ones for different reasons that I truly enjoyed and supported,with faith and excitement. Not even MON as I never warmed to him (but I do have some good memories of his side)

IMO Sherwood is Atkinson/Little/Gregory all in one! Box office (Atkinson) arms around players (Little) tells it as it is (Gregory) but a bit more to.

For some reason I am 100% behind him, with all the ups and downs that could follow, I believe with the new setup, are Villa can make us smile again.

• Like 2

Another 5 year contract. Tim making sure we're not in the position of last minute contract renewals and expiries!

I don't think he handles contracts.

He makes the recommendations on them then it's left to others.

5 year contracts are only a good thing if the player plays well #N'Zogbia

But fwiw, I think the contracts he's handed out so far have been absolutely right.

Â