The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He gets credit for the changes he made but he put out a silly front 3 really, who were all the same type of player and gave us only one dimension.

Realistically, we could easily be coming out of that game with a loss, with the chances they had - so we shouldn't get carried away because we didn't dominate them.

I have to agree with this. We got the result so fair play but had we lost Sherwood would have got rinsed for the first half tactics. (Because that just what happens).

I personally don't think the tactics were wrong in the first half it was more a combination of the performance of the players and Bournemouth putting in a lot more.

We was always going to be under the cosh in he first half - first Premier League game for Bournemouth, carnival atmosphere against a team that just escaped relegation last season. They were always going to come out of the blocks at 100 miles an hour.

Credit for Sherwood for getting the victory although it seems that he can't do right by some posters, whatever he does as manager of our club. I'm just happy we've got 3 points on the board early and look forward to the next game as we are long overdue something against Man Utd! 

• Like 3

I was personally unimpressed with the Sherwood signing when it happened as I felt we needed someone like Pulis to stabilise and had missed the boat. However the way he has behaved, gone about his business and more importantly started to bridge the gap with his straight forwardness between the club and fans again is slowly turning me into a believer. Since he came in he done what was required to keep us up when we were pretty doomed. And as much as tekkers or anyone else wants deny it, Sherwood got the players playing in a way that allowed opportunities for him to score and more importantly ensure our survival. I'm pretty sure that had we been in a more comfortable position our style would have been different but at the time the necessity far outweighed the luxury. He has brought in good backroom staff something Lambert failed to do. On top of that the quality of the players and youthfulness of the majority of his signings will ensure no stupid financial loses in the future. And more importantly from a fan point of view given me a little reason to get excited about the direction we are moving in again.

I think with the players at his disposal yesterday he got the tactics spot on. As he mentioned in his post match interview Bournemouth were always going to have a lot of the ball early doors and the idea was to have the players and system to counter quickly and keep their fullbacks on their toes not allowing them to push us too far back continually. As the game wore on and we had more possession this allowed us to switch it round bring on gestede and have more aerial presence as we were spending a lot more time in their half. Obviously the subs had to be made at some point as several players wouldn't last the full 90min. When we did get the goal he then made the correct decision an shored up the defence further with Richardson for Sinclair. Tactically spot on imo and apart from the performance of the débutantes was the other outstanding contribution to the cause yesterday. 

5 lads making their debut after being here only a couple of weeks and then to beat a good team that most had us losing against yesterday - including myself. I think Sherwood, Sgt Wilko and co deserve a great deal of credit for a good start. It wont always be good as there will undoubtedly be ups and downs but at the moment credit where it's due. 

• Like 1

I was personally unimpressed with the Sherwood signing when it happened as I felt we needed someone like Pulis to stabilise and had missed the boat. However the way he has behaved, gone about his business and more importantly started to bridge the gap with his straight forwardness between the club and fans again is slowly turning me into a believer. Since he came in he done what was required to keep us up when we were pretty doomed. And as much as tekkers or anyone else wants deny it, Sherwood got the players playing in a way that allowed opportunities for him to score and more importantly ensure our survival. I'm pretty sure that had we been in a more comfortable position our style would have been different but at the time the necessity far outweighed the luxury. He has brought in good backroom staff something Lambert failed to do. On top of that the quality of the players and youthfulness of the majority of his signings will ensure no stupid financial loses in the future. And more importantly from a fan point of view given me a little reason to get excited about the direction we are moving in again.

I think with the players at his disposal yesterday he got the tactics spot on. As he mentioned in his post match interview Bournemouth were always going to have a lot of the ball early doors and the idea was to have the players and system to counter quickly and keep their fullbacks on their toes not allowing them to push us too far back continually. As the game wore on and we had more possession this allowed us to switch it round bring on gestede and have more aerial presence as we were spending a lot more time in their half. Obviously the subs had to be made at some point as several players wouldn't last the full 90min. When we did get the goal he then made the correct decision an shored up the defence further with Richardson for Sinclair. Tactically spot on imo and apart from the performance of the débutantes was the other outstanding contribution to the cause yesterday. 

5 lads making their debut after being here only a couple of weeks and then to beat a good team that most had us losing against yesterday - including myself. I think Sherwood, Sgt Wilko and co deserve a great deal of credit for a good start. It wont always be good as there will undoubtedly be ups and downs but at the moment credit where it's due. 

Can't agree with this enough, a very tricky tie yesterday considering the circumstances. It is worth noting Rudy has only played 45 mins in pre season, so the chances of him starting were non-existent

I think you'll see alot of teams dropping points away at Bournemouth this year, so big credit to Timmy..

Will be interesting to see how the team develops tactically - it's obvious to see there are flaws in the formation, any team capable of playing an accurate cross field ball seems to immediately have the ability to isolate our full backs one on one. Credit to Tim for the win yesterday.

Got it spot on yesterday. First half was rubbish but in many ways we needed to play like that. Bournemouth were obviously buzzing about playing their first game in the Premier League at home and we were humble enough to realise we needed to try and contain them early on. Once we realised had them pretty much sussed out we made the changes needed to win the game.

It's so nice and refreshing to actually ruin the party. The bournemouth wank-fest was cringeworthy at times.

Yep, agree with this.

• Like 1

Liked Sherwood's interview on MOTD. Working the players extra hard in pre-season as he wants to know as much as he can about them and the gameplan for the Bournemouth game actually working to plan, aside from the ropey 15 minutes before the break.

Well done Sherwood, keep it up! 

From what I saw the tactics were spot on.

He started a quick front three to hit Bournemouth fast on the break. First half we sat back and looked to break, second half we pushed forward when they were tiring. Subs came on and one scored the winner... What's to moan about?

absolutely as Bournemouth were always going to come out flying so 3 speedy attackers to counter them. It didnt work but you could see why he tried it. 

Great result yesterday.

I didn't see the game (just the highlights) so can't really comment on the performance.

But to grind out a 1-0 against a newly promoted side on the opening day is exactly what we needed, especially with United next week.

Very happy. He also looked like a sexy really bad person in his casual shirt yesterday :thumb:

• Like 1

He gets credit for the changes he made but he put out a silly front 3 really, who were all the same type of player and gave us only one dimension.

Realistically, we could easily be coming out of that game with a loss, with the chances they had - so we shouldn't get carried away because we didn't dominate them.

You genuinely think you're right. I find that fascinating. Even when Sherwood said before the game that some players weren't quite ready fitness-wise. Gestede could do half an hour and he got half an hour. But you keep second-guessing the man who sees them in training every day. Utterly fascinating and mind-boggling.
  • Like 3

Great result yesterday.

I didn't see the game (just the highlights) so can't really comment on the performance.

But to grind out a 1-0 against a newly promoted side on the opening day is exactly what we needed, especially with United next week.

Very happy. He also looked like a sexy really bad person in his casual shirt yesterday :thumb:

Agree that the shirt made his eyes pop.

I've not seen the highlights, but they probably tell the story of the game fairly well. Aside from that Bournemouth were a little slicker and us more combative. As expected really, but with the result as the cherry on top.

I'm at a wedding next week.

Might pop into Selfridges this week and give them a picture of Sherwood.

"Dress me like this guy"

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

We've drawn 1 of his 17 games in charge. So there's an additional 2 points a season!

Those wins came against West Brom, West Brom, Sunderland, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, West Ham and Bournemouth. Not a bad spread of quality and styles.

Draw against QPR, obvs.

Losses to Stoke, Newcastle, Man United, Swansea, Man City, Southampton, Burnley and Arsenal.

Might have mucked the order of those, think Swansea and United are the wrong way round. Also Liverpool and Spurs? From March to May was a bit of a trip!

Â