The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He gets credit for the changes he made but he put out a silly front 3 really, who were all the same type of player and gave us only one dimension.

Realistically, we could easily be coming out of that game with a loss, with the chances they had - so we shouldn't get carried away because we didn't dominate them.

You genuinely think you're right. I find that fascinating. Even when Sherwood said before the game that some players weren't quite ready fitness-wise. Gestede could do half an hour and he got half an hour. But you keep second-guessing the man who sees them in training every day. Utterly fascinating and mind-boggling.

Great Post.

Opinions are all well and good but it does my head in when fans think they can see stuff Managers (even poor ones ) can't .  Particularly when it comes to tactics and player selection.  How on earth would any of us know enough about all the different factors that go into deciding a Team for any given day ?

• Like 1

We've drawn 1 of his 17 games in charge. So there's an additional 2 points a season!

Those wins came against West Brom, West Brom, Sunderland, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, West Ham and Bournemouth. Not a bad spread of quality and styles.

Draw against QPR, obvs.

Losses to Stoke, Newcastle, Man United, Swansea, Man City, Southampton, Burnley and Arsenal.

Might have mucked the order of those, think Swansea and United are the wrong way round. Also Liverpool and Spurs? From March to May was a bit of a trip!

That makes interesting reading.  For me there are no games that are automatic wins for us in this League, but there are one or two which, if not automatic defeats, we could realistically expect to lose more the majority of the time.  I would say that is those against Man City, Chelsea, and to a lesser extent Arsenal and Man United.

By that I mean our rivals (probably anyone outside top 6 or 7) will also have very few successes against these.

When looked at like that his record so far really would stand us in good stead for the season.

Also worth bearing in mind that the Stoke and Newcastle defeats came before he'd had much time to work with the squad. We were on the beach by Burnley. Can't say any of our wins were "lucky" but the City away result still rankles me. It was a **** peno...

So yeah, I'd love to have the debate with somebody who thinks he should be doing better.

• Like 1

I was another cynic but he's doing very well so far, and has shown a bit more nous than I (or many others in football) gave him credit for. Impressed with the transfer business, but IMO we still need a couple more if we're going to have a good season. 

He gets credit for the changes he made but he put out a silly front 3 really, who were all the same type of player and gave us only one dimension.

Realistically, we could easily be coming out of that game with a loss, with the chances they had - so we shouldn't get carried away because we didn't dominate them.

You genuinely think you're right. I find that fascinating. Even when Sherwood said before the game that some players weren't quite ready fitness-wise. Gestede could do half an hour and he got half an hour. But you keep second-guessing the man who sees them in training every day. Utterly fascinating and mind-boggling.

Great Post.

Opinions are all well and good but it does my head in when fans think they can see stuff Managers (even poor ones ) can't .  Particularly when it comes to tactics and player selection.  How on earth would any of us know enough about all the different factors that go into deciding a Team for any given day ?

It is interesting that Graeme Souness and Jamie Carragher were saying the very same thing after the Stoke v Liverpool Game, that even when players have a full pre-season some start slow c 5 games others come out of the blocks immediately....our guys have had very little time together to know how each other plays or the speed of the Prem, but it seems a reason for all the other teams and an excuse for us.....no one every cuts us any slack whatsoever.

I thought it was a very clinical win

Edited by TRO

I thought we were set up perfect yesterday. It was important not to concede early so we get it tight first half. The only thing lacking was Gabby was back to his frustrating best and never offered much. 2nd half it seemed they were let off the leash abit and we pressed them higher up and were a lot better. Very encouraging start to the season. Bring on United!

• Like 1

We've drawn 1 of his 17 games in charge. So there's an additional 2 points a season!

Those wins came against West Brom, West Brom, Sunderland, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, West Ham and Bournemouth. Not a bad spread of quality and styles.

Draw against QPR, obvs.

Losses to Stoke, Newcastle, Man United, Swansea, Man City, Southampton, Burnley and Arsenal.

Might have mucked the order of those, think Swansea and United are the wrong way round. Also Liverpool and Spurs? From March to May was a bit of a trip!

That makes interesting reading.  For me there are no games that are automatic wins for us in this League, but there are one or two which, if not automatic defeats, we could realistically expect to lose more the majority of the time.  I would say that is those against Man City, Chelsea, and to a lesser extent Arsenal and Man United.

By that I mean our rivals (probably anyone outside top 6 or 7) will also have very few successes against these.

When looked at like that his record so far really would stand us in good stead for the season.

The no draws thing was a feature of his at Spurs too.

I argued at the time that whilst his win ratio was impressive, his loss ratio was also quite high, because he hardly ever draws games.

Disregarding whatever you can glean from that stat, one thing is for sure. This season will be interesting (for once!)

Draw against QPR, obvs.

I argued at the time that whilst his win ratio was impressive, his loss ratio was also quite high, because he hardly ever draws games.

Disregarding whatever you can glean from that stat, one thing is for sure. This season will be interesting (for once!)

2 wins are better than 4 draws

• Like 1

Draw against QPR, obvs.

2 wins are better than 4 draws

Absolutely.

My post wasn't a criticism if it came across that way. Just an observation.

Edited by Stevo985

We were terrible in the first half and he got them playing much better in the second half so he must have said something useful at half time. It's good to see that he won't settle for that level of performance.

We were terrible in the first half and he got them playing much better in the second half so he must have said something useful at half time. It's good to see that he won't settle for that level of performance.

It seems he told them to sit in more 1st half but we never retained the ball enough and we got under more pressure as the half went on. 2nd half we pressed more and it was a lot better performance even if we were a bit more open. Look at the performance of Gueye in either half it basically sums up how we played.

yeah his halftime teamtalk's certainly seem to have a positive impact which makes a change

I love the way Sherwood seems to be able to 'sell' Villa to the potential signings, even when teams that have been better than us in recent years are in competition with us. Shows what a manager with charisma can do combined with our excellent facilities and history. 

I'm more optimistic this season than I have been since MON was here.  :)

• Like 3

Â