Our midfield problem

Mic09

The problem with the midfielder's not getting into the box to support the strikers is that none of them are capable of regularly getting decent shots ,let alone goals from distance.So all in all there is very little goal threat there so the opposition really only have to mark Benteke.

Benteke is clearly not at his best but look at how isolated he finds himself at times.

Shouldn't the midfield 3 be as follows

-----------------defensiveplaymaking-----------

-------defensive/attacking----attacking-------

The closest we get to this is,

-------------------Sanchez---------------------

-------------Delph-----------Gil----------------

Then you would want two wide attacking players that can defend too,

The best we have is,

-----Bacuna-----------------------Weiman---

Problem is that Sanchez sometimes has a stinker, Delph has no end product and Weimann and Bacuna are limited footballers.

Then Benteke is supposed to a complete forward but is playing like a complete ...

I think the last time one of our midfielders got into the box and scored was Chelsea last season! For me Delph has all the attributes to be the one who gets into the box and helps put but for some reason he seems to stop more often than not on the edge of the box. We don't get enough runners from midfield for this reason I'd play Gil in a 3 with Delph and Sanchez and let them get used to each other.

I agree Delph should be out attacking midfield player. 

I don't. Delph lacks an end product.

He should be a box to box midfielder. Helping out in defensive midfield when he needs to, but primarily driving into the opposition half and feeding the attacking midfielders (I'm including the wingers/wide attackers as "attacking midfielders in this case).

Imo

I think he scored 3 league goals last season, which isn't brilliant but if he was able to does his stuff at the other end of the pitch instead of in the middle of the park or in his own half I would back him to get to double figures in a season. He's the most skilful of our central midfield players but isn't the best passer. I reckon with Westwood and Sanchez as the defensive midfield players and Delph furthest forward our midfield will work. 

Thats the midfield I want at the moment seeing as Gil appears to be playing off the right.

But ideally I'd liek to see Westwood replaced with a proper ACM and Delph to do the running/watercarrying between Sanchez and the ACM

Throughout this period we dont seem to have changed anything and i think thats the problem, why not change the system since it hasn't worked for 22 games? Does it have to be 3 in the middle one of them being Cleverley who is absolutely useless?

I suppose its easy to sit here and manage but why not go 4231 with Delph/Sanchez and then Sinclair/Gil/Wiemann for some real width and attacking intent and Benteke ahead of that? I don't see why we haven't changed anything, we must be the easiest side for opposition scouts because our game plan seems to be exactly the same for every game.

I know come 2pm tomorrow im going to be pissed off and raging before the game has even started because Cleverley will be the first name on the teamsheet again.

......4231 thats the format for me right now

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I actually think we have been much worse since Gardner has been left out

Very much this! I thought I was the only one. I'd play Gardner holding and Westwood and Bacuna in the middle. At least they both move about, Jedinak looks half asleep and Tshibola must be the only box to box  midfielder I have ever witnessed who doesn't move box to box!

In lieu of quality we might as well go with quantity. It won't be pretty but hopefully there will be enough individual quality up front to get us some goals and enough meat in the middle to finally stop teams strolling to the edge of our penalty area unimpeded every single goddamn time we lose the ball.

So yeah, flood the middle and hope for the best.

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 2

Our midfield problem is immense. 

Jedinak is so bad I absolutely agreed we should bring on Westwood for him. Bruce has allowed him the "long midweek journey" excuse but to be honest it was pretty much a typical performance from him. He really looks like a dud. 

Gardner despite what my Forest supporting mate has said looks awfull. Our big hope is Tish who is totally inexperienced and starting to look it recently. 

We were criminally remiss in ignoring the needs in midfield during the summer and what we have bought has not worked. 

All the firepower in the world upfront but we are weak and uncreative in the middle and it is seriously hurting us now. This absolutely has to be addressed in January or we will suffer a similar relegation from this league as we did from the last. 

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Pretty horrific today. Both Tshibola and Jedinak were terrible and Westwood wasn't much better when he came on. The worry is that, other than Gardner, we don't really have any alternatives for the midfield. I'd be up for bringing Veretout back.

Sadly Veretout doesn't feel the same 

• Like 1

Â