Our midfield problem

Mic09

Don't think it would harm us one bit in giving either a trial or short term contract to a one or two of these guys: 

Midfield: Essien, Reo-Coker, Osman, Sissoko

Right Back: Hibbert

If Barton is released from Rangers shortly, I'd have him until January/end of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Don't think it would harm us one bit in giving either a trial or short term contract to a one or two of these guys: 

Midfield: Essien, Reo-Coker, Osman, Sissoko

Right Back: Hibbert

If Barton is released from Rangers shortly, I'd have him until January/end of the season.

Barton's character wouldn't help resolve issues hence why he's getting kicked out of Rangers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NuneatonVilla said:

Barton's character wouldn't help resolve issues hence why he's getting kicked out of Rangers.

I'd still have him in a heartbeat.  One or two of our lot need a kick up the arse and some home truths said to them.  

Edited by ferguson1

I think it's shocking that we are looking at Lyden being our saviour or getting some burnt out chancer on a free transfer. Why did we let Sanchez and Vertout go if we weren't going to get in replacements? 

I would still like to see a midfield 3 - who that 3 is I haven't got a clue as only Tish emerges from our current midfield with a tiny bit of credit so far this season and to be honest that translates to about one good game for us.

Even our youth midfielders seem non existent, unless we recall Mason and Calder and give them a go?

It feels like we have been getting Jed fit since he joined, Bacuna can do a basic job in a three, so can Gardener. But the only way to solve the midfield problem is to buy some decent midfielders in January.

It isn't just the midfield. 

We need people to get into the penalty area and stretch defenders. Did you see how many times through balls were blocked? We make it too easy to be marked out of the game.

We need to release balls a lot quicker. The above will help create space for that.

We need to close down quicker and put teams under pressure.

Players need to show willing to take the ball and to find space to receive a pass.

Strikers and attacking midfielders need to stop heading to the same area. Plenty of times we had Grealish, McCormack and Kodija in one small area on the left when attacking and Adomah on the right wing.

• Like 2

It's not just about the midfield for me, it's the whole team not moving up and down the pitch as a unit. 

Back four and centre Mids sat far too deep last night and it creates a disconnect with the forwards. 

You could see McCormack getting more and more frustrated trying to get the team up the pitch to press Wolves when they had it deep. 

I also think it contributes to the fitness issues late on, becuase we don't move and play as a unit, players are covering too much ground. 

We have the quality to be brave and play a high line in this league, which in turn would get the relevant departments closer together. 

The team not playing as a unit is massive for me. We don't have a clue whether to press or sit and end up doing neither which is our problem. The midfield doesn't get much help but it looks worse because of our tactics. We probably should play a 3 but I don't think we have the players to play it. Veretout and Tishbola alongside either Jedi or Westwood would be ideal but until Jan we are stuck. I'd be looking at Lyden to come in or even give Gardner another crack in there. We have to stay in touch till Jan then get in a couple of midfielders. 

• Like 1

Playing 3 in there will, just by adding another body, give the illusion that we look more 'solid', but if we don't sort out what we are doing with and without the ball as a team, it will only have a knock in effect elsewhere in the team. 

5 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

We have a problem of a lack of pace in midfield and Chester's certainly not the answer to that, imo! We only have 4 CMs and they're mostly hugely limited and slow. I think we're screwed with the current lot. 

I'm not suggesting him for his pace although I'd wager that he'd beat Westwood, Jedinak and Gardner in a foot race.

He might not be the best solution but I was trying to think of possible options a little bit 'outside the box'

I'd also give Amavi a try there. We've got little to lose. He can't be worse than Jedinak who was dogdirt yesterday 

Midfield has been s problem fir years with us teams just play through us  we lack energy there which is a receipe for disaster in the Champ where games are end to end you needs players that can cover the ground .I think our structure is also a issue  aswell which has been alluded to on here seems to be no balance to our side with players not covering each other you can see our midfield and at times our full backs look very exposed .

I'd play Lyden or Bacuna there in a 3

I know Bacuna is shite and can't pass the ball 2 yards but he's athletic and might be able to press the opposition a bit and not give them space

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Â