Our midfield problem

Mic09

massive problems in this area.. no matter what pairing SB puts out all our midfield players offer little & a loosing mentality

i hope SB brings tom huddlestone to the fold in january,

tish looks like hes a long way off being a force in the championship & at 5m (shaking head) !

Definitely personnel are an issue here but a much bigger issue I think is general organisation. 

Every time any Villa picked up the ball yesterday they were about 30 yards from their nearest team mate. The team was so disjointed it was ridiculous. 

I remember something along the lines of attack as a team and defend as a team from school days. I think if we gave that a whirl all departments would look a lot stronger. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dounavilla said:

I thought I went back in time for a moment reading about Benteke.

Those were the days.

Absolutely. I read the opening post and nearly wept. Worrying about how to get the best out of a midfield of Cleverley, Sanchez, Westwood and Delph, so that we could give better service to Benteke? 

We really didn't know we were born, back in Feb 2015, did we?

What radical options are available to SB to sort out the horrific mess RDM has left in midfield?

What about playing Baker alongside Elphick and pushing Chester forward to play at the base of a MF diamond - probably not the best passer but at least has energy, commitment and a bit of bite

34 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

What radical options are available to SB to sort out the horrific mess RDM has left in midfield?

What about playing Baker alongside Elphick and pushing Chester forward to play at the base of a MF diamond - probably not the best passer but at least has energy, commitment and a bit of bite

We have a problem of a lack of pace in midfield and Chester's certainly not the answer to that, imo! We only have 4 CMs and they're mostly hugely limited and slow. I think we're screwed with the current lot. 

Particularly for away games maybe we could look to set up mre for counter account and I also think something left field might help; certainly cannot get any worse. what do you guys think of dropping Jedi into a back 3 with Baker and Chester as someone who can play the ball out rather than hoofing it. Have amavi and Bacuna as wing backs which both have done before. In midfield get more energy with Lyden alongside tish with Mccormack as the attacking mid. Upfront a mobile 2 of Ayew and Kodjia.

Bring on Grealish for Mccormack when he tires.

Also have Greeen on bench to strech opposition if we get in front.

Edited by SuffolkVillan
spelling

To start with we must play with 3 central midfielders.

I've not seen enough of Jordan Lyden to say if he'd improve us, but youthful exuberance and something to prove can't be a bad thing.

Of the players available on a free, Meireles, Osman, Hugo Viana... all probably need a month or so to get up to speed. And neither probably has the exact abilities we crave.

Still worth a look if we can bring someone in.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

If Essien is without a contract get him fir the rest of the season

If fit he'd be a cracking signing, but he's had a horrid time with injuries in the last couple of seasons.

For me the only way we can work round this is to go for a 5-3-2 formation, with our current problems we have I think this is the only few systems I think we can use. I'm afraid on the only way we can go forward is sitting back, letting them have possession and looking to try and catch them on the counter.

GK: Gollini

CB: Elphick

CB: Baker

CB: Chester

RWB: Bacuna

LWB: Grealish (this is going raise a few questions, but now and again he can pull off the odd good tackle and the only one I can think off who has pace on the left side to catch teams on the counter)

CDM: Tshibola

RCM: Gardner (is he injured I'm on not sure)

LCM: Jedinak

RS: Gestede or Ayew (though Ayew as the pace for this system)

LS: McCormack

Not sure if the loan window is open or do they still run it but how about Matty James from Leicester, can't get a game there at all. He was excellent at this level.

Edited by NuneatonVilla
  • Like 1

Â