Our midfield problem

Mic09

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is Lyden actually any good?

All I saw when he played v Bournemouth was just run after the ball Chris Herd style.

I feel people thinking he could be some sort of saviour are going to be disappointed.

He is a good player, wears his heart on his sleeve but don't expect him to come in and save our season

Consider this. Jonathan Hogg who we released what 6-7 years ago probably walks into this Villa team. I'm not going on with the whole hindsight thing, he's a hard working competent player at best but he walks into that midfield right now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Consider this. Jonathan Hogg who we released what 6-7 years ago probably walks into this Villa team. I'm not going on with the whole hindsight thing, he's a hard working competent player at best but he walks into that midfield right now.

midfield of Hogg and Bannan would be very good at this level for us

• Like 1

some of the names of midfielders we should have that are being banded about on here fill me with desperation......

.....and realism to how far we have sunk, very sad indeed.

Edited by imavillan

I know 3 at the back has not been good in the past but I think it may be worth trying again

Elphick Chester Baker

Bacuna                        Amavi

Jedinak

Tish          Gardner/Lyden

then any 2 from 

Gestede & Ayew/Kodjia/McCormack/Grealish/Adomah

Kodjia & Ayew/McCormack/Grealish/Adomah

N.B. It wouldnt be a bad idea to have our forwards pressing knowing that we have so many options on the bench and rotating for Sat/Wed/Sat......so they dont get knackered pick up strains.....etc

Gestede Kodjia McCormack Ayew Grealish & Adomah need to get use to rotation/differrnt option being implemented in our overall playing plans

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Gardner should be nowhere near the starting eleven our midfield is pedestrian enough as it is

Gardner performed in this league last season so he can do it at this level. Seeing as we don't have many other options he deserves a chance especially in a 3. 

• Like 2

The worry for me is we are anxious for these players to go and then a few weeks down the line anxious for them to come back. The sold players seem to play better elsewhere to add to the frustration.

It seems no matter what formation we choose, what personnel we choose, what tactics we adopt, we get the same result.

We switch players around and around and around and it makes no odds.

We buy new players and seem ok at first and then they revert to the habits of all the rest.

There is something mysterious at work here .....what I don't know?

None of the players boss the position they are in, they  are like wet lettuce......Folk say its a mental thing.....it looks like a physical thing to me.

How can we just keep going back for more money over and over again

Dr T will thing he has Oliver Twist as Manager.

PS The only common denominator I can think of is too many players coming in at any one time....I have never really known it prior to the window before last, its always been 2 or 3 additions, due to not having the money.

Edited by TRO

11 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Don't think it would harm us one bit in giving either a trial or short term contract to a one or two of these guys: 

Midfield: Essien, Reo-Coker, Osman, Sissoko

Right Back: Hibbert

If Barton is released from Rangers shortly, I'd have him until January/end of the season.

Thank **** you are not the chairman or the manager. We would more likely be focusing on preparing for league 1 football with those names.

11 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I'd still have him in a heartbeat.  One or two of our lot need a kick up the arse and some home truths said to them.  

And Joey Barton is the answer to that?

I wonder how the players might feel knowing they are a training session away from a cigar in the eye ball or that he is betting the teams we play to win?

He is a total pr*ck flush.  I think we have enough issues to be getting on with rather than adding to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

Gardner performed in this league last season so he can do it at this level. Seeing as we don't have many other options he deserves a chance especially in a 3. 

Has has not really performed well in it this season though!

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

The worry for me is we are anxious for these players to go and then a few weeks down the line anxious for them to come back. The sold players seem to play better elsewhere to add to the frustration.

It seems no matter what formation we choose, what personnel we choose, what tactics we adopt, we get the same result.

We switch players around and around and around and it makes no odds.

We buy new players and seem ok at first and then they revert to the habits of all the rest.

There is something mysterious at work here .....what I don't know?

None of the players boss the position they are in, they  are like wet lettuce......Folk say its a mental thing.....it looks like a physical thing to me.

How can we just keep going back for more money over and over again

Dr T will thing he has Oliver Twist as Manager.

PS The only common denominator I can think of is too many players coming in at any one time....I have never really known it prior to the window before last, its always been 2 or 3 additions, due to not having the money.

Your right there. I have had this feeling since That Cup Final, We slaughtered Liverpool and got smashed by Arsenal & since that day for me we have not been the same as a club ever since.

I am not saying it is that, but that is the time where this mentality has risen from imo.

Someone, something..  :detect:

I think one of RDM's problems was trying to squeeze too many of the big name signings  and big egos into the team at the expense of team balance. Hopefully Bruce will have the gonads to make tough decisions in the interests of the team.

I think Westwood and Tish with Jedinak sitting deep behind them would give us a much better balance, even if it means having a bit of money sitting on the bench.

I'm not a fan of Westwood, but I can tolerate him much more when it's not him that's the last line of resistance between the opposition and a shot on goal.

• Like 2

Midfield is just a complete mess in reality and bereft of options.

Play one? which one ? and that gives 5 at the back and 4 up front or the other way around. That isn't a workable option

Play two ? which two? we have played two most of the season and it doesn't work the quality is just not there for us to play two and get away with it.  Tshibola looks ok when fit,  westwood is to blame for everything,  gardner isn't far behind him, jedinak is "taking time to settle seeing as he's australian" and Lyden god knows where he is his paper round must clash with game time or something

play three ? similar as for two which three? we hardly have one decent let alone three.  in addition this gives no width,  not that we have any wide players anyway to make use of unless we pick adomah and that gives no balance at all as we have no left winger

play four? do we actually have four midfielders to play in four different positions? doubtful. Especially in terms of having no balance at all.  then we can't accommodate all the 475 striking options we have.

Midfield needs sorting absolutely no argument but it needs sorting after figuring out which forward options are the best for us and how to get the best out of them.  personally I'd play Gestede and Kodjia up front with Ayew in a withdrawn role behind them.  That then means we need three in midfield as personally I do not like the 3 or 5 at the back option.  I'd always go for four at the back so 4-3-1-2.  And I'm doing this to basically accommodate Ayew who I still believe would tear this league a new one if used properly in a floating role as Bruce tried to use Grealish on Saturday. 

So in this formation we need three central midfielders,  a left leaning one,  a central one and a right leaning one and they have to be able to be box to box.  For me tshibola is capable but needs two alongside him. We do not have these two.  Having three central midfielders gives no width but if we have full backs able to push on then they can when they have the ball.  Bacuna and Amavi can do that role and with three in the centre able to help the defence it would not leave us exposed.

So for me at the moment I'd go

--------------------------Gollini

Bacuna-----Chester-------Baker--------Amavi

-----Westwood----Tshibola--------Lyden

----------------------Ayew

----------kodjia----------------------Gestede

Bench- mccormack, grealish,  adomah,  jedinak, Hutton, cissokho, Bunn

and replace westwood and Lyden with better options in january

And I am a traditional 4-4-2 bloke ,  two central midfielders and two wide men but we have no width so I'd also get a left winger in January too.

We basically have to play a formation to get the most out of what we have while he tries to implement his own style .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Your right there. I have had this feeling since That Cup Final, We slaughtered Liverpool and got smashed by Arsenal & since that day for me we have not been the same as a club ever since.

I am not saying it is that, but that is the time where this mentality has risen from imo.

Someone, something..  :detect:

I think it was away at Southampton just before....But I know what you mean.

The standing off is what I remember most.

17 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Thank **** you are not the chairman or the manager. We would more likely be focusing on preparing for league 1 football with those names.

And Joey Barton is the answer to that?

I wonder how the players might feel knowing they are a training session away from a cigar in the eye ball or that he is betting the teams we play to win?

He is a total pr*ck flush.  I think we have enough issues to be getting on with rather than adding to them.

Joey Barton was in the team of the year last season in this league. He was Burnleys player of the year. Sean Dyche is a massive fan. Agreed he can have his moments but we should've signed him in the summer and if he was free at Xmas I'd have him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Joey Barton was in the team of the year last season in this league. He was Burnleys player of the year. Sean Dyche is a massive fan. Agreed he can have his moments but we should've signed him in the summer and if he was free at Xmas I'd have him. 

Can't argue, which is why i suggested him yesterday.  Would rather have Barton over Westwood and Gardner any day of the week.

• Like 1

Â