Carles Gil

bose

Grealish started last night and did well. In those circumstances (i.e. if they're performing) give me a product of our youth system over a player from elsewhere any day.

Arguably, Gil should have been on the bench instead of Cole, but one of those has played at the top level, won trophies, and has vast PL experience, whilst the other has mainly wafted around playing for a shit Spanish club. I can kind of see why TS MIGHT prefer him Cole in the situation we're in.

The uspet over Gil is akin to the teenage girls who cried because Zayn left One Direction. It's ridiculous. If we weren't scoring goals or creating anything then I'd probably understand it.

I'm more annoyed Okore didn't start over powder puff Ron. Clark and Okore have looked a better partnership. It's who plays at the back we should be more concerned about.

Absolutely spot on.  I can't believe this knicker-wetting about a player who scored a goal against a lower-division side. 

• Like 2

You'd think it's a duty of care for managers to help overseas players settle, in fact it was probably number 1 on Sir Alex's recruitment policy. I know Gil wasn't Sherwood's signing but he'd been here a few weeks, giving up a squad place at Valencia to try and play more football at a struggling club in a different culture, and it seems that he has made little effort to help him settle. Publicly calling him an icing on the cake player is ridiculous. I'm utterly baffled.

Yes, I'm sure it was number one on cuddly, caring loveable Alex's to do list as well.  How did that work out with Veron, Taibi, Djemba Djemba, Bebe, Dong Fangzhou, Kleberson, Forlan etc etc etc.  In fact, I've just read this quote from Bebe:

"He told me to cut my hair, it will look better. So I cut it the same day. In the next training session, he didn't recognise me. I went past him many times and he didn't know me."

As Sherwood says, it's a team game and maybe Gil just doesn't fit into the team in the way he wants to play. Attacking play wasn't the problem last night, it was the defence.

• Like 1

what difference would GIl have made. Unless he has become a left back overnight then I dont think he would have helped 

Exactly, when you score 3 goals at home you expect to win. 

We scored 3 goals yesterday so why are people complaining so much about the decision not to play Gil.

May as well never sign any attackers ever again then.

• Like 2

Grealish started last night and did well. In those circumstances (i.e. if they're performing) give me a product of our youth system over a player from elsewhere any day.

Arguably, Gil should have been on the bench instead of Cole, but one of those has played at the top level, won trophies, and has vast PL experience, whilst the other has mainly wafted around playing for a shit Spanish club. I can kind of see why TS MIGHT prefer him Cole in the situation we're in.

The uspet over Gil is akin to the teenage girls who cried because Zayn left One Direction. It's ridiculous. If we weren't scoring goals or creating anything then I'd probably understand it.

I'm more annoyed Okore didn't start over powder puff Ron. Clark and Okore have looked a better partnership. It's who plays at the back we should be more concerned about.

Absolutely spot on.  I can't believe this knicker-wetting about a player who scored a goal against a lower-division side. 

To be fair they could well be in a higher division than us next season

Can't really see Gil fitting in to the pacy, high intensity attacking football Sherwood is trying to get us to play TBF.

It's not the most surprising thing in the world that he isn't getting a start.

But, as said above, it's the manager who has to make the decisions and take the rap for them, not the fans.

Can't really see Gil fitting in to the pacy, high intensity attacking football Sherwood is trying to get us to play TBF.

Out of interest, why do you think that?

From what i've seen of Gil so far, he seems to be all three of those things. Pacy, intense and attacking

He would have played where we Grealish played and I thought Grealish had a really good game so I think the manager got his selection right. Whether he should have been on the bench and replaced Grealish is another argument. 

When Sherwood singed he said that until we're safe the football will be all about getting the ball to Benteke and just going for it. He said there would be a different philosophy going into next season, so maybe that's when Gil will get more of a chance.

Out of interest, why do you think that?

From what i've seen of Gil so far, he seems to be all three of those things. Pacy, intense and attacking

There isn't much evidence to go on. We've only seen Gil play once in a Sherwood side and I wouldn't say the Stoke game was the best showcase for his style of football, but Carles didn't look up to the pace in that game.

We've mainly seen Gil playing in the dreary, ineffective, sideways-passing football of Lambert's last phase and, maybe not surprisingly, he looked OK in that context.

A lot of everything with Gil doesn't make sense - and I have a lot of sympathy for a player who didn't want to leave his club but wanted first team football to prove himself.  Lambert would have absolutely sold this to him and now he's not getting it.  I feel like he's being completely alienated, and certainly hope this isn't the case.

Some of Sherwood's comments don't seem to fit either.  "We don't have the players for a scrap or a fight, we look to play football" - even in brief cameo appearances, Gil has shown skill and ability that our team simply doesn't have elsewhere.  His debut (I think?) against Liverpool was very good, and that's Liverpool with a quick team and quick midfield, not Q.P.R. et al.  He's even training well, apparently.

People are saying about having a pacy team that Gil doesn't fit in to as well.  How does Grealish get a look in, then?

It may well be perceived as an over-reaction, but this certainly isn't just a stick to beat the manager with.  Ultimately it doesn't matter if we get the results but not giving an obviously talented, creative player a place on the bench when needing to score and pull away from danger is, at best, incredibly odd.

Edited by bobzy

Â