Carles Gil

bose

I really like Gil from the glimpses that I've seen, but I am starting to wonder if he is a luxury that a team like ours cannot afford.

You look at players like Adel Taarabt when they are on the ball, and see absolute brilliance at times, but the lack of work-rate defensively is the main reason that they don't play regularly. Perhaps this is the main reason that Carles hasn't been getting a game.

It's a shame because myself like most on here have been clamouring for us to sign a player like him for a few years now. I think it's a case of him being the hero that we want, but not the one that we need.

Gil doesn't fit into a 4-4-2? Where was Weimann playing then yesterday?

Weimman will run up and down that side all day.  I'm not sure GIll will do the same.

I'm not a fan of picking someone who works hard over someone with quality but I think that's partly the reason behind it as we're in a real fight at the moment. 

My point is saying someone doesn't fit into a specific system then playing a striker on the wing makes the point invalid no?

No not really. While weimman is out of position he can still fit the system. He's disciplined enough to keep his position in wide areas and his work rate supports the fb and our attackers.

I don't think he's good there, in fact I'd choose gill over weimman most games, but I think weimman suits Sherwood's 4-4-2 system more.

• Like 1

I am sure he was rested for Tuesday very important match. We will play with two creative wingers imho. If Sinclair not fit, it will be NZog and Gil. It should save his Villa career.

No not really. While weimman is out of position he can still fit the system. He's disciplined enough to keep his position in wide areas and his work rate supports the fb and our attackers.

I don't think he's good there, in fact I'd choose gill over weimman most games, but I think weimman suits Sherwood's 4-4-2 system more.

Weimann wasted several good breaking opportunities with a poor passes. He is a waste. Sinclair, Gil or Grealish should play instead of him anytime.

• Like 1

I really like Gil from the glimpses that I've seen, but I am starting to wonder if he is a luxury that a team like ours cannot afford.

You look at players like Adel Taarabt when they are on the ball, and see absolute brilliance at times, but the lack of work-rate defensively is the main reason that they don't play regularly. Perhaps this is the main reason that Carles hasn't been getting a game.

I think you may have got to the heart of the Mata ... from Guardian.

Mata, Oscar and Eden Hazard featured regularly last season as an attacking trident behind a lone forward, and there remains the scope for that trio to be restored. "But only when [Mata] adapts to what we want," Mourinho said. "I'm not ready to ask Oscar to track opposing full-backs. Brazil has more talented players in the No10 position than any other country in the world, and he plays there for the national team, so I want to build with Oscar as my No10. I want the other two players, from the side, to adapt to that reality and learn how to do things they were not ready to do before.

"The players are open to some of the changes, and not so open to others because this is more difficult. If I'm a defender I want to play low block, with no space behind me. If I'm an attacking player I'd prefer to play without a position, without certain responsibilities, and with others behind me to cover so I don't need to worry about [tracking back]. It's about changing mentality. It takes a bit of time. But it won't take five, six, seven years. I promise."

I disagree, I like Weimann, but he is a striker and that is all, definitely not a winger and especially not in a 4-4-2. Whether Gil should play or not is up for debate but if Gil doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 on the wing then Weimann definitely doesn't.

Gil is a creative player who makes things happen. We need that in the side rather than moving players out of position.

• Like 1

It's a shame because myself like most on here have been clamouring for us to sign a player like him for a few years now. I think it's a case of him being the hero that we want, but not the one that we need.

He spent all of last season in a relegation battle. It was in a different country, but the basic requirements of players in that situation are still the same, and the experience of it is valuable.

I am sure he was rested for Tuesday very important match. We will play with two creative wingers imho. If Sinclair not fit, it will be NZog and Gil. It should save his Villa career.

There were people claiming he was rested for the baggies game, then the Sunderland game, then Swansea. Whether are not he should be playing is open for debate, what is not really debatable IMO, is that For whatever reason Sherwood simply doesn't fancy him.

I wouldn't hold to much hope about seeing him on Tuesday mate.

I personally think it's an 'ego' thing, and by that I mean sherwoods. The way I see it Gil is a lambert signing who was brought in to save our season, now sherwood is there and wants to save our club from relegation but his ego wants him to do it with the team that has struggled all season and not use lambert last throw of the dice to help him. Now I may be wrong but I can't see any other reason why he hasn't got minutes, yes yesterday I can see the virtue of having the work horse weiman instead, the Sunderland game was fine as we blooded a youngster, but stoke, Newcastle and Swansea were games Gil was brought in for to help us unlock teams we otherwise seem incapable of not matter who is at the helm.

I suppose the QPR game will tell us more, but anything less than a win without Gil getting game time will not help sherwood. I am all for him being in charge, yes tactically a bit niave (but no more so than our last manager). UTV

• Like 1

Hes done nothing other than scoring vs Bournemouth out of all the games hes played. Sections of our fanbase again making the club look stupid

And cole has done??? And Weimann has done?? And grealish has how much experience??  Gil was a player we have been crying out for, for many seasons before. We sign him and hardly play him, thats the reason fans aren't happy.

I mean Cole is ahead of him now??????

• Like 1

Hes done nothing other than scoring vs Bournemouth out of all the games hes played. Sections of our fanbase again making the club look stupid

Posts like this make sections of our fans look stupid. 

Aside from that great goal, he was one of the best players on the pitch when he came on against Liverpool and he had an excellent assist for Okore's goal against Chelsea. 

• Like 1

The way I see it Gil is a lambert signing who was brought in to save our season, now sherwood is there and wants to save our club from relegation but his ego wants him to do it with the team that has struggled all season and not use lambert last throw of the dice to help him. Now I may be wrong

Carles Gil: joined Villa on 13 January

Scott Sinclair: joined on 30 January, the last player Lambert signed, so the absolute "last throw of the dice"

Starts under Sherwood:

Gil - 1

"Last throw of the dice" Sinclair: 5

So, yes, I think it is 100% correct that you may be wrong about this.

And your theory about "ego" can be consigned to the scrapheap.

The way I see it Gil is a lambert signing who was brought in to save our season, now sherwood is there and wants to save our club from relegation but his ego wants him to do it with the team that has struggled all season and not use lambert last throw of the dice to help him. Now I may be wrong

Carles Gil: joined Villa on 13 January

Scott Sinclair: joined on 30 January, the last player Lambert signed, so the absolute "last throw of the dice"

Starts under Sherwood:

Gil - 1

"Last throw of the dice" Sinclair: 5

So, yes, I think it is 100% correct that you may be wrong about this.

And your theory about "ego" can be consigned to the scrapheap.

Come on mate what have facts got to do with anything? Didnt know there were so many Oliver stone wannabes on here with all these conspiracy theories. Wonder what thier take is on the jfk shootings and moon landings?
  • Like 1

Â