Carles Gil

bose

I can semi understand why he may not start. Kind of...apart from Nzogbia isnt the most defensive minded player who can quite often "roam" so hes OOP when suddenly needs to defend which is what gil is being criticized for. What i do have a problem with is him not coming of the bench. He probably (havent seen enough but w/e) is the most flair player we got and im sure he will be able to run around more than joe cole. I would also personally sacrifice (if true) that little bit of defensive shape for the additional attacking flair/qualities if its a decision between weimann or gil

Hes done nothing other than scoring vs Bournemouth out of all the games hes played. Sections of our fanbase again making the club look stupid

loooooooool. Youre dong that yourself. Oh Burrrnnn 

Edited by gharperr

No not really. While weimman is out of position he can still fit the system. He's disciplined enough to keep his position in wide areas and his work rate supports the fb and our attackers.

I don't think he's good there, in fact I'd choose gill over weimman most games, but I think weimman suits Sherwood's 4-4-2 system more.

Weimann wasted several good breaking opportunities with a poor passes. He is a waste. Sinclair, Gil or Grealish should play instead of him anytime.

The passes were good and in the right place, the other forwards, particularly Benteke, were not where they should have been.

• Like 2

This over the top reactions over a player who has started 4 games (all losses) is becoming one of the most ridiculous things I can remember coming from our fan base in a long time.

Winning or losing a game says NOTHING about how an individual player has performed.

On the contrary, he was the main reason we won against Bournemouth and assisted the goal against Chelsea (both from the right wing, by the way) after how many games without scoring?

I hear that he can't adapt to the system, but isn't it the manager's fault if he can't find a system to suit our best players?

I'm not saying it's necessarily Sherwood's fault, it might very well be the case that Gil has a terrible attitude, but most of the objections I hear don't stand.

Out of position - so is Weimann.

Doesn't work hard enough - it's not like N'Zogbia is the hardest of workers.

He hasn't shown enough - he hasn't had that many chances. And what have the likes of Cole, Grealish and Weimann shown?

The big question is not why he isn't starting, but why he doesn't even come off the bench, even in very different situations (Sunderland, Swansea, ManU).

• Like 4

Sherwood saying he trains well and he likes him but is an "icing on the cake" player. I respect what he says about Aston Villa must come first before any player but he says in the article how we lost 7 in a row but Gil shouldnt be the scapegoat. Im sorry but to not get off the bench against Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, Mancs when we need a goal is poor in my view. Forget tracking back towards the last quarter of a game when you're in desperate need of a goal, you need a special player with ability to make something happen. Frustrating.

• Like 1

He was the best player on the pitch against Lplop and Chelsk, played out of position against Stoke, and not seen since.He is our only player who can beat a player and create anything.Should be picked ahead of Gabby, Weimann, N,Zog and JCole.

A must start for tonight surely.

• Like 2

Baffling how Gil hasn't had a sniff under Sherwood. How he doesn't get a game when we need a bit of guile going forward and players like Andi, N'Zogbia and Cole are picked over him is difficult to comprehend.

Finally get some creativity and after a promising start he is dropped.

This is an issue Sherwood needs answering. If we continue to perform as we have done over the last couple of weeks and if he doesn't get a look in then I wil be questioning Sherwood's judgement.

Sherwood saying he trains well and he likes him but is an "icing on the cake" player. I respect what he says about Aston Villa must come first before any player but he says in the article how we lost 7 in a row but Gil shouldnt be the scapegoat. Im sorry but to not get off the bench against Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, Mancs when we need a goal is poor in my view. Forget tracking back towards the last quarter of a game when you're in desperate need of a goal, you need a special player with ability to make something happen. Frustrating.

The words of a dinosaur tactician.

Gil's a quality player, in an ideal world we'd have him in a midfield three, with Delph and Sanchez just behind him, giving him a licence to create, which he absolutely would. 

• Like 4

Confidence gone, rhythm and form lost from playing well in the few games he had, manager obviously doesn't rate him.

I bet he will play him tonight and when he obviously doesn't win the game single handedly Sherwood can use it as an excuse to not use him ever again.

"well he had his chance and didn't take it".

Being claimed by some fans that are there and on talkSPORT that Gil has just been seen driving out of Villa Park.

If he doesn't start this evening I think he has been treated very poorly by Sherwood.

Worried if this is true though as it might signify he won't get a chance at all in future.

Being claimed by some fans that are there and on talkSPORT that Gil has just been seen driving out of Villa Park.

Maybe he forgot his boots and went to get them?

It happened to me once. Luckily I was a regular then, and a friend of mine who was always a sub was sent to my house to get them, while I started the game wearing his boots. He told me later that my mother had said to him that it was a miracle I remembered to take myself to the pitch. I was 15 then and we used to go out drinking the night before games.

Â