Carles Gil

bose

He probably did leave the ground, but was told to come back or face a fine or something. Apparently he was walking around the pitch before kickoff so I would say that's the club wheeling him out there to keep up appearances...

I'd prefer Carles Gil stays in the summer than Tim Sherwood if I'm honest.

I'm not a million miles away from that sentiment either tbh.

I think that's utterly laughable. If Sherwood keeps us up given the state we were in when he arrived he will have done an excellent job, Gil or no Gil.

If he fails then very little leeway will be given. Naturally.

What people seem unable to understand is that this is Tim Sherwood's job we are talking about here. He is under no obligation to give a **** what any of us want at this stage, he MUST do what he thinks is right. Even if he is proven wrong.

This is the burden a leader carries. Suck it up.

He will have done a good job turning us around, but I think most of us can agree out squad is much better than our current league position.

I don't think you can divide it that evenly... that he'll have done excellently if we stay up, but given little leeway if we drop.

This is more a personal thing to me. We aren't going to be winning anything for the next three or four years, probably much longer, and I like seeing players like Gil appear for Villa. Players who have a bit of ability and can actually play football. They make me enjoy it even if we lose matches. I don't rate Sherwood particularly highly, and I think we're a relatively decent attraction for a lot of managers, even moreso if we were to be taken over.

I am not saying I'd rather we play Gil, losing games 3-2, than play others and win 1-0 and stay up, obviously I'd prefer the wins. But here is the major point in my eyes: Gil is currently better than all of the alternatives who are ahead of him in the squad. N'Zogbia, Grealish, Cole, Weimann, Sinclair, he is simply a better player, so seeing them in the team when we are not opening up defences for fun doesn't add up (I am aware we scored seven past QPR and Sunderland :D A live wire would have been useful against Swansea/West Brom league game). Seeing Weimann and N'Zog on the bench and Gil in the stands is wrong.

so seeing them in the team when we are not opening up defences for fun doesn't add up

Under Sherwood so far there have been 3 games where we've really struggled to create good chances.  Stoke, newcastle and man u.  Gil played in 1 of them, would have made little difference to the outcome against Man u and probably could have made a difference in the newcastle game but he was poor in the game before and others were given a chance.

• Like 1

I'd love an explanation as to how someone who was performing so well has ended up being frozen out. I can only assume he keeps shitting in Sherwood's Happy Meals and stealing his toys.

Sherwood's explanation, given on two separate occasions now, is (to paraphrase) that however well Gil might have been playing, he was part of a team that had lost 7 matches in a row and Sherwood's priority is to create a team that can get points. Gil doesn't currently make it into the teams he is picking to play more attacking football that will get us enough points to stay up.

Why are the rest of the players who were part of the team that lost 7 in a row still getting a look in?

Yep, faulty logic. 

People are missing the point here....it's not neccesarily about starting games.....there is this thing prem clubs have called impact substitutes.....Now I thought we were dire in the second half, barely created anything and Benteke's free kick got us out of jail big time. It was the same v Swansea.

In both instances the second half introduction of Carles Gil would've done us wonders imo.

• Like 3

It's a no-brainer for me. Gil has flair and skill that no one else in our squad has. He should make the bench at least, but even that would be daft. I don't care if he doesn't track back as much as other midfielders, they're not all that hot at it either. We're still conceding goals every game without him in the team, we might as well have him on there to increase creativity and thus our chance to score more goals since outscoring the opposition is our only real hope given our pretty piss poor defensive record.

A diamond of Sanchez, Delph, Cleverley and Gil just behind Gabby and Benteke is what we should be playing in my opinion, with the full backs bombing forward -- and Richardson should never be one of them. Stop playing Weimann too, ffs. I got pretty sick and tired quite early on of Lambert's stubborn streak and his lack of changing his approach. I'm concerned that Sherwood is heading in that direction too. I don't care if he doesn't think Gil is suited to a relegation scrap, it doesn't seem like any of the others are either. Mentally we are very fragile, might as well play your best players and give yourself the best chance.

• Like 2

the thing for me is he has got Darren Bent, Luke Young or Reo-Coker syndrome. made better by posters who dont like the manager

plus the fact that we have been scoring goals more regularly now I fail to see what Gil can bring to make us better at the moment.

• Like 2

Just because we scored three goals against QPR who have conceded the most goals of any team this season, doesn't mean we're scoring enough. Just because we're scoring more than we were under Lambert doesn't mean we're scoring enough.

I don't think there are many that are rewriting history by claiming Gil to be better than he is. He's not perfect by any stretch, but he has flair and creativity that we have lacked in our midfield for years now. I don't think there are many players who could have scored a goal like the one he scored against Bournemouth. Bacuna perhaps.

Despite what people think managers do just take a disliking to a player and then he doesn't get a look in, thats whats happening here. He's come in and immediately decided for whatever reason Gil wont be in the team but obviously the likes of Wiemann, Richardson and N'Zogbia are all good enough..

There is always a reason for taking a dislike to someone.

We scored 3 goals yesterday so why are people complaining so much about the decision not to play Gil.

May as well never sign any attackers ever again then.
Talking about the decision not to play him in this specific match.

Yeah I get that.

So if we scored 3 goals in this match we may as well not buy any more attackers, right? 

That's how your logic is working.

Point is, scoring three doesn't mean you shouldn't be looking for improvements. Just because we scored three goals doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for better attacking options, regardless of who provides them.

Scoring 3 would indicate that there is not a lot wrong with the attack, and it does not need much improving.

Unless you think we should be scoring 4, 5, 6 goals every game.

Just gone off injured for the under 21s

Shame. What stick will Sherwood be beaten with Saturday now?

Should have been playing in the first team, not the under 21's. Sherwood out ;)

Haha I did actually think of that one as I was writing it.

• Like 3

Keep telling myself that its our precarious position thats to blame for Gil being ignored. Sherwood has obviously been told to keep us up, no matter what and goes with the players he has prior knowledge of. He possibly knows very little of Gil and does'nt know his strengths or weaknesses as yet. I'm at least prepared to give TS the benefit of the doubt over this one and expect to see the guy feature a lot more next season.

Unless..........

Keep telling myself that its our precarious position thats to blame for Gil being ignored. Sherwood has obviously been told to keep us up, no matter what and goes with the players he has prior knowledge of. He possibly knows very little of Gil and does'nt know his strengths or weaknesses as yet. I'm at least prepared to give TS the benefit of the doubt over this one and expect to see the guy feature a lot more next season.

Unless..........

I think this is a very sensible viewpoint. I said weeks ago, that if still a prem club next year I think gil will be a main part of the team.

He's fallen out of favour somehow, but I wouldn't look into it too much yet. He' probably using players such as nzogbia and Sinclair for premier league experience, and grealish because he is young and fits his ideal player mould. I think if we stay up he'll play a lot for us next season.

Â