Carles Gil

bose

I've gone from avoiding talk of football at all costs to genuinely believing we can get points and potentially even score a goal in our next few games. Simply because of a young Spanish player that has a deceptively difficult name to pronounce

They only lisp in the Catalan counties by the way.

I don't think that's true.

The majority of spain pronounce C and Z as "th" (although it depends on the letter that follows it)

They only lisp in the Catalan counties by the way.

I don't think that's true.

The majority of spain pronounce C and Z as "th" (although it depends on the letter that follows it)

Fair enough, I was told this by a devout Catalonian and to be fair, she was probably being a little militant about it all at the time!

I've since googled it.

Seems there might be a difference between "th" and a lisp. Complicated! :D

All I know is my teacher is from Madrid and she uses the "th" sound and teaches us that way so I was going with that

Latin america don't tend to use the "th" sound I don't think. Not for "Z" anyway.

Edited by Stevo985

The story is supposedly that some king of Spain had a lisp, and everybody started doing it to suck up to him. My daughter (decent Spanish speaker) was in central America a while back, and she said they think it's hilarious - a bit like doing an affectedly posh English accent in (say) Alabama.

Good signs from that goal yesterday in that he's got that Hendrie/Merson quality of bending the ball into the corner from the edge of the box.

Love the way he buzzes around midfield wanting to play quick passes and one-twos. We've missed that sort in midfield for years, it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

The story is supposedly that some king of Spain had a lisp, and everybody started doing it to suck up to him. My daughter (decent Spanish speaker) was in central America a while back, and she said they think it's hilarious - a bit like doing an affectedly posh English accent in (say) Alabama.

YEah that's the story (King of Catalonia actually I think). But it's a myth.

I've since googled it.

Seems there might be a difference between "th" and a lisp. Complicated! :D

All I know is my teacher is from Madrid and she uses the "th" sound and teaches us that way so I was going with that

Latin america don't tend to use the "th" sound I don't think. Not for "Z" anyway.

the upper classes in argentina use the "th", but nobody else in latin america

YEah that's the story (King of Catalonia actually I think). But it's a myth.
I thought the king was a mythter -sorry I'll get me coat !!

Think most brummies will probably just call him Gil and pronounce it Gill lets be honest :P

I'll just call him Carl

This.

Afterall... Stiliyan "Stan" Petrov ;)

Anyway, I've been waiting for ages to decide on who's going on my home shirt and I finally have my answer:

The Sexy Spaniard! :hooray:

B8XkVwpIcAAuVmM.png

I'm really keen to see what happens at Arsenal now - a good test for him.

Â