Carles Gil

bose

Carles Gil spoke to AS after his goal scoring debut for Aston Villa in the FA Cup.

You marked your debut with a wonder-goal in the FA Cup...

"Yes. I was already happy because of the way I had been received and for the confidence shown in me, but even more so now having scored and helped the team. In the first half I was playing inside but in the second we saw that space was opening up on the wing and I was able to score. I had the option of a one-on-one and I managed to hit a decent shot."

The Villa fans are going crazy about you...

"It's amazing how I've been welcomed here. It's a completely different mentality. The fans here are much more passionate and in general they show great respect towards their payers. They have made me very happy."

But they struggle to pronounce your surname, admit it...

"[Laughs]. That's true. They're still trying to learn it and they call me 'Yil' instead of Gil. But that's normal. The important thing it to be supported the way I am being. I'm really grateful for that."

The club and coach have done everything to make you comfortable.

"It's true. When they signed me they showed a great confidence in me. From the start they were on top of everything in terms of the apartment, a car or getting the telephone set up and that meant all I had to think about was the football."

And the cold...?

"It's a lot colder than Valencia or Elche but I live in the city centre and I have everything I need on hand. I'm not going to complain. The club's facilities are even better than in Spain, like the stadium. I'm very lucky to play here."

Aston Villa aren't doing well in the Premier League but they have a huge support. What's happening?

"It's true we are having some problems but the project has only just started and I'm sure things will get better. The FA Cup is a great tournament and we're excited about it."

Are you a continuance of the Spanish attacking midfielder that has been successful in England like Silva, Mata and Cazorla?

"It's great that Spanish players are succeeding in England those you have mentioned are the best examples. But I've only just started and I need to find my own way. I hope things continue to go as well for me as they have been so far and that I have as good a career as them."

http://as.com/diarioas/2015/01/28/english/1422463481_614362.html

Nice to read an all around cheerful interview. Made me feel good.

• Like 1

Carles Gil spoke to AS after his goal scoring debut for Aston Villa in the FA Cup.

You marked your debut with a wonder-goal in the FA Cup...

"Yes. I was already happy because of the way I had been received and for the confidence shown in me, but even more so now having scored and helped the team. In the first half I was playing inside but in the second we saw that space was opening up on the wing and I was able to score. I had the option of a one-on-one and I managed to hit a decent shot."

The Villa fans are going crazy about you...

"It's amazing how I've been welcomed here. It's a completely different mentality. The fans here are much more passionate and in general they show great respect towards their payers. They have made me very happy."

But they struggle to pronounce your surname, admit it...

"[Laughs]. That's true. They're still trying to learn it and they call me 'Yil' instead of Gil. But that's normal. The important thing it to be supported the way I am being. I'm really grateful for that."

The club and coach have done everything to make you comfortable.

"It's true. When they signed me they showed a great confidence in me. From the start they were on top of everything in terms of the apartment, a car or getting the telephone set up and that meant all I had to think about was the football."

And the cold...?

"It's a lot colder than Valencia or Elche but I live in the city centre and I have everything I need on hand. I'm not going to complain. The club's facilities are even better than in Spain, like the stadium. I'm very lucky to play here."

Aston Villa aren't doing well in the Premier League but they have a huge support. What's happening?

"It's true we are having some problems but the project has only just started and I'm sure things will get better. The FA Cup is a great tournament and we're excited about it."

Are you a continuance of the Spanish attacking midfielder that has been successful in England like Silva, Mata and Cazorla?

"It's great that Spanish players are succeeding in England those you have mentioned are the best examples. But I've only just started and I need to find my own way. I hope things continue to go as well for me as they have been so far and that I have as good a career as them."

http://as.com/diarioas/2015/01/28/english/1422463481_614362.html

Nice to read an all around cheerful interview. Made me feel good.

He reminds me a bit of Marc Marquez the moto GP racer: modest, likeable, excitable, and very talented.

Wonder if that's translated or is his English already that good?

Will really help him settling in if it is you'd imagine.

He didn't speak a word of English when he signed as far as I know so that must be translated.

He didn't speak a word of English when he signed as far as I know so that must be translated.

Lambert said he speaks more English than he is letting on, so who knows

Lambert said he speaks more English than he is letting on, so who knows

Bet he knows all the swear words.

Have we got a chant sorted?

What's that coming over the hill (Gil)

Is it CAAAARLES is it CAAAAARLES

Think Spurs sang that for Chimbonda. Needs some work.

This surely has to be the song for Hutton? It would be perfect

Â