Carles Gil

bose

I know nothing about the championship.  But I do know about second tier leagues.  They tend to be a bit more wild and wooly (and even more moments of rashly brutal physical challenges).  But it's not because the athletes are any stronger, it's because the referees are weaker.  (hard to imagine, I know)

Edited by srsmithusa

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Seriously, where did this "physical Championship" shit come from?  The bigger, stronger, better athletes play at the toplevel.  

Yeah, while a weak player, it's not so much the physicality he struggles with, it's the pace of the game. Closed down quicker, less space and time and a faster game seems to be what he wasn't able to come to terms with. He showed in glimpses that he should be able to play at this level and play well but he just couldn't do it. 

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep. It's really a simple fact that the premier league has the superior athletes. It's all about levels, I remember playing against a lad who had played in the conference for a few years, I was utterly shocked at  not only how good his technique was, but just how damn athletically able he was, just so much faster, incredible balance and agility. 

The Championship is not more physical and is not faster than the premier league, the players in the championship, pound for pound, are slower and inferior athletes plus worse technically. 

true but after watching these idiots playing last season the Championship is probably even a step above their level

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, while a weak player, it's not so much the physicality he struggles with, it's the pace of the game. Closed down quicker, less space and time and a faster game seems to be what he wasn't able to come to terms with. He showed in glimpses that he should be able to play at this level and play well but he just couldn't do it. 

pitches are also a lot smaller as well which is crucial since he takes about 7 touches before releasing the ball

On 03/06/2016 at 11:36, Zatman said:

or my favourite that I rather Gil here than previous manager next season, when that happened Gil was even worse

It's funny how you and DCJ keep bringing that post up (obsessed much), when that post is even truer now than it was then.

As bad as Gil was last season, I'd still rather have him here than that clown of a manager :crylaugh:

• Like 4

On 6/4/2016 at 09:27, Shropshire Lad said:

In fairness, a quick mooney suggests Gil played in 18 of 23 games for Garde. Whether he was any good in those games is down to one's own judgement. But he did feature in the majority of the matches we had whilst we had an actual manager in charge.

(Whether that manager is any good, again, comes down to one's own judgement ;))

As for not appearing much under Eric "let's give this lad Bacuna a go" Black, I'm not going to hold that against Gil too much on that front.

I think that mooney was very quick. I was talking about the amount of playing time he got, not the number of matches in which he featured. Of those 18, he only lasted the full 90 minutes in 4 games (I'll allow him 5 for one where he was subbed off in the last minute). For all his other matches he was either subbed on or subbed off, depending on where he started.

His contribution to the side can only be described as ineffective and disappointing and he did nothing to live up to the hysteria that led to the "rather Gil than Sherwood" comment that we heard earlier in the season.

I hear he has now said he's not prepared to play in the Championship so that is nearly the end of that I guess.

I think many of us would still rather Gil was here than Sherwood.  In fact I'd still rather Bacuna and Gabby were here than have Sherwood.  It doesn't have anything to do with hype, just that Sherwood was the worst thing to ever happen to this club.  Gil is neat on the ball and would do well back in Spain or a team with more movement, but yes he doesn't have the cutting edge or strength for a struggling English team.  Hopefully Di Matteo can find a role for him though.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think many of us would still rather Gil was here than Sherwood.  In fact I'd still rather Bacuna and Gabby were here than have Sherwood.  It doesn't have anything to do with hype, just that Sherwood was the worst thing to ever happen to this club.  Gil is neat on the ball and would do well back in Spain or a team with more movement, but yes he doesn't have the cutting edge or strength for a struggling English team.  Hopefully Di Matteo can find a role for him though.

Although for the a spell when he took over it was the best we have looked in 5 seasons, which I know isn't saying much

Edited by Xela

I'd rather have Di Matteo and Clarke but have to keep the current squad with no new players, than have Sherwood and say £50M to spend, to get us promoted next season.

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Although for the a spell when he took over it was the best we have looked in 5 seasons, which I know isn't saying much

Hush your mouth! Don't you know it's not permitted on here to remember the fact that he saved us from what looked like certain relegation and got us to a cup final through defeating Liverpool in one of Villa's best performances for many a season.

(Or maybe Gil did the team talks for those matches? ;))

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

True, just a shame after about 5 games his tactic of 'run around more' burnt us out and everything after that was utter incompetence on the grandest scale and extremely costly.

16 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Hush your mouth! Don't you know it's not permitted on here to remember the fact that he saved us from what looked like certain relegation and got us to a cup final through defeating Liverpool in one of Villa's best performances for many a season.

Who is it that doesn't remember that, or give Sherwood credit for it?

It's following that up with the worst cup final performance I've ever seen and a transfer window that condemned us to relegation that most people have a problem with.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's funny how you and DCJ keep bringing that post up (obsessed much.), when that post is even truer now than it was then.

As bad as Gil was last season, I'd still rather have him here than that clown of a manager :crylaugh:

Sherwood was a disaster but that doesn't change what was going on at the time that post was made. It was ridiculous then and a prime example of how overrated this guy was. 

I'd have Gil over sherwood right now as well for what it's worth. 

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

True, just a shame after about 5 games his tactic of 'run around more' burnt us out and everything after that was utter incompetence on the grandest scale and extremely costly.

There was an 11 game spell starting with West Brom in the league up until West Ham at home where we won 7, drew 1 and lost 3 (which included Man City unluckily and Man Utd which is par for the course). For that spell we actually looked good, then it just went to rat shit! 

• Like 3

Re: physicality of the Championship, I think it's a bit of a myth perpetuated by pundits like the sky sports crew. They constantly imply that the since the quality of football diminishes as you get lower down the leagues, the physicality increases to somehow 'make up' for this lack of talent. It's nonsense. I think it's to do with the elitism of the PL and a sort of 'it's so good they don't need to be physical' sort of statement. Watch a corner in pretty much any PL game and that will demonstrate how physical it is.

Edited by alreadyexists

I hope that Di Matteo and Clarke recognise how potentially devastating the combination of 'Jack & Gil' could be and attempt to fit them into their plans. For a time last season it looked like those 2 were on the brink of really clicking but as we had no strikers there was hardly ever an end product.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

There was an 11 game spell starting with West Brom in the league up until West Ham at home where we won 7, drew 1 and lost 3 (which included Man City unluckily and Man Utd which is par for the course). For that spell we actually looked good, then it just went to rat shit! 

And I believe the comment came after we won 3 games in a row. Which made it even more ridiculous. 

Â