Carles Gil

bose

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

He strugggled? Funny how people see games differently.

In the first half he was one of the best players on the pitch for me.  All they could do was try and foul him.

When he had the ball he looked pretty good. The frustration was that he'd almost straight away then get out-muscled and lose it.

5 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

When he had the ball he looked pretty good. The frustration was that he'd almost straight away then get out-muscled and lose it.

That's him in a nutshell. He's tidy on the ball, can pick a pass,can score goals and has a lovely touch but he's easily over powered, can't defend and doesn't have any pace. He's a poor man's David Sliva if you will. He has to play as a "number 10" otherwise he's not really going to be effective.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

That's him in a nutshell. He's tidy on the ball, can pick a pass,can score goals and has a lovely touch but he's easily over powered, can't defend and doesn't have any pace. He's a poor man's David Sliva if you will. He has to play as a "number 10" otherwise he's not really going to be effective.

Think it's harsh to say he doesn't have any pace.  He's not RAPID, but he's not slow either.  The only thing I noticed last night was that he gave the ball away sloppily a few times.  Other than that, he's our best player to pass to.  Always looks for the ball, always with decent close control and tight turning/passes.  He and Veretout are pivotal for linking the midfield to attack.

At the point of the diamond I'd like to see him be more attacking in threading forward passes and taking players on. 

I think the reason we look quite ineffective upfront is that Gil is just neat and tidy. In a more advanced midfield role I think you need more than that. 

18 hours ago, KSV said:

Yeah i think hes gone backwards too. I hope he gets a bit more confidence like the rest of the team and we see the true potential of Gil and the team. 

I would say almost every single player we have has gone backwards, the only consistent performers we've had have been Ayew, Veretout and Okore, recently Lescott as well, to a lesser extent.

Looked a lot better once he came off. Number 10 or nothing for me, lacks the pace to be effective wide. Think we'd look so much more dangerous with a proper wideman, such a shame Traore is injured.

Edited by penguin

We just aren't suited to his style of play. Has the quality. If we had the likes of Vardy who move and create space for a through ball or.something he would be more effective. 

3 minutes ago, KSV said:

We just aren't suited to his style of play. Has the quality. If we had the likes of Vardy who move and create space for a through ball or.something he would be more effective. 

I agree,, 

I also think that if we got two pacey wingers (Townsend,Lennon type) in instead of playing Gil/Grealish we would be in a much better position, it would suit our current strikers well.

11 minutes ago, penguin said:

Looked a lot better once he came off. Number 10 or nothing for me, lacks the pace to be effective wide. Think we'd look so much more dangerous with a proper wideman, such a shame Traore is injured.

That's a result of the team we were playing today.

Leicester are very difficult to play passing football against, and that's obviously how Gil plays. Garde did well to take him off and switch us to a more effective style today.

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He couldn't get on the ball in the first half.  I still think he is one of very few players who will create anything and therefore he needs to be on the pitch as much as we can afford to have him on.

0 assists in 15 games suggests otherwise to me. 

• Like 1

I think he's been the worst player in the team for the games against Palace and Leicester.  Needs to be much stronger, and give the ball away much less.  Very, very disappointing.

Â