Carles Gil

bose

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Absolutely love him.  First class attitude, first class technique, wonderful little player.

yet he was at fault for 1st goal by not tracking his runner and allowing Van Aanholt freedom of the pitch

He left loads of space for cresswell to score against us and did similar against Sunderland, yet unlike Adama no ones really concerned with what he offers defensively. 

For me I'm more concerned with that he offers attacking wise and scoring goals like that keeps him in the team 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yet he was at fault for 1st goal by not tracking his runner and allowing Van Aanholt freedom of the pitch

Agreed - but then we don't score if he's not on the pitch.  No-one else is capable of turning that cross into a goal.  Magic.

I'd have dragged him off just before the goal, thought he was terrible on Saturday. Lightweight, poor on the ball, ponderous, wasteful. Couple of nice tricks but no end product, as usual.

Then he scored that goal. Might as well stick with him now, I think he'll stay next season.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gil tracks back plenty. 

He still left huge gaps in the last 2 games we played that led to goals. Against Leicester their full back went past him with ease every time which played a part in their come back. 

He offers very little protection. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He still left huge gaps in the last 2 games we played that led to goals. Against Leicester their full back went past him with ease every time which played a part in their come back. 

He's not perfect. But he does plenty of work in defence, especially when he's on Hutton's side.

It's no coincidence he improved on Saturday going forward when he was moved from the right hand side.

Edited by Stevo985

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The main thing that played a part in Leicester's come back was Gil going off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not tracking back for the goal wouldnt have been an issue if we had remotely more mobile and aware defenders than that useless prick Richards

Classy.

I still don't understand those that throw personal insults around like this.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's not perfect. But he does plenty of work in defence, especially when he's on Hutton's side.

It's no coincidence he improved on Saturday going forward when he was moved from the right hand side.

Don't really see what he does that's so helpful. In his 14 appearances this year we've let in 13 goals while he's been on the pitch. And 2 of the last 4 goals we've conceded have in part been down to his lack of cover.  Yet no posts worrying about the defensive side of his game, which is very different when compared to Adama. 

What he does as an attacker is much more important and he's able to have moments of pure quality that lead to goals. I'd agree, I much prefer him in a more central role. 

For the next run of games I'd love to see a front attacking unit of 

Adama.............Gil.............Ayew

.......................Gestede...............

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't really see what he does that's so helpful. In his 14 appearances this year we've let in 13 goals while he's been on the pitch.

Not that it means much, as it's a pretty awful way to judge the defensive work of an attacking midfielder, but that is a better ratio than when he hasn't played.

Edited by Stevo985

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't really see what he does that's so helpful. In his 14 appearances this year we've let in 13 goals while he's been on the pitch. And 2 of the last 4 goals we've conceded have in part been down to his lack of cover.  Yet no posts worrying about the defensive side of his game, which is very different when compared to Adama. 

It's because Gil tries whereas Adama doesn't.

Ultimately, our defensive performance isn't based on attacking midfielders (lol at getting stats for goals conceded), but having players willing to track back is a bonus.

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I don't want to see Gestede anywhere near out starting lineup.

In spite of Jack's embarrassing level of effort this week i'd still go with.

Adama------------Gil--------------Grealish

-------------------Ayew------------------------

Gestede and Ayew up top together - drop Grealish.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Classy.

I still don't understand those that throw personal insults around like this.

I think its just frustration stevo, i know its happened to me a number of times this season too. If the players at least showed something to the fans we would be behind them. But we cant back losers. Crystal Palace are a prime example, their players fight for the club and look at the fans yesterday they were 3-0 down against chelsea and still singing and backing the players

Also in regards to Gil definitely keep him, I can see him tearing it up in the championship

Edited by Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not that it means much, as it's a pretty awful way to judge the defensive work of an attacking midfielder, but that is a better ratio than when he hasn't played.

Well there's no stats to really show defensive work rate. It does show that, like with Adama, it makes little difference to results and how poor we are defensively as a team when they play. That's why I don't get the worry regarding Adama, lets focus on what they do going forward.  Like I said in the last 2 games, the left back has scored due to the lack of cover by Gil. I can't think of a goal where Adama has been as at fault. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well there's no stats to really show defensive work rate. It does show that, like with Adama, it makes little difference to results and how poor we are defensively as a team when they play. That's why I don't get the worry regarding Adama, lets focus on what they do going forward.  Like I said in the last 2 games, the left back has scored due to the lack of cover by Gil. I can't think of a goal where Adama has been as at fault. 

The attack for their second goal started because we were leaving gaps down the right with Adama there. So I'm not sure that's true at all.

Gil puts effort in defensively. I've not seen much of that from Adama. And I've seen him give the ball away and then stand there sulking despite him being a few yards away from it.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's because Gil tries whereas Adama doesn't.

Ultimately, our defensive performance isn't based on attacking midfielders (lol at getting stats for goals conceded), but having players willing to track back is a bonus.

He's not trying enough if his lack of cover has led to 2 goals in 2 games. 

Â