Carles Gil

bose

Paul Lambert has declared that new signing Carles Gil will help to "add that creative spark that we have been lacking" after the Spanish U21 international completed his move from Valencia.

I'd much rather he'd said "add some of that creative spark that we have been lacking". Sounds like this is it for signings then.

Edit: After watching the interview I think the quote is actually inaccurate. He doesn't use those exact words. So, nothing to see here, hopefully.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Not sure if this has been posted, but it wont hurt...

Spanish midfielder Carles Gil could make a real impact at Villa Park, according to Guillem Balague.

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has told Sky Sports News HQ that Aston Villa could have a bargain signing on their hands in Valencia’s Carles Gil.

Villa are reported to be closing in on a £3.25 million move for Gil, with the Spanish midfielder said to have travelled to Birmingham to finalise the deal and complete a medical.

Aged 22, his name might not be familiar to most English football fans, but Balague believes manager Paul Lambert is about to make a wise investment on a promising talent, whose game is even comparable to Real Madrid star Isco’s.

“I believe he’s travelling [to Birmingham] today and it’s all confirmed,” Balague told the channel’s Morning View programme on Monday morning.

“The fee is between £3 million and £4 million. The buy-out clause is €8 million, but Valencia are happy to allow him to go for €5 million, and that allows them to spend money in the transfer window.

“In terms of what kind of player he is, he’s sort of like an Isco,” he continued. “He’s a short player, who plays wide a lot, but can play between the lines as a number 10 like he presumably will be for Aston Villa.

“He’s got a lot of quality. He’s pacey and worth that kind of money. However, he is the type of player who may take a while to adapt to the Premier League. Physically he may find it difficult.

“But, if he gets over that, then you’ve got a quality player to play for a long while.”

What is an 'Isco' when it's at home?

Is this a real question?

I thought you knew me. :(

It concerns me a little that there's already too much pressure on him to be this creative spark that'll change our fortunes. If he does start to run the show in his first couple of games, he'll just be targeted and instantly nullified and we're back to square one, which is why I think it's really important that we bring in another couple of creative players, don't just stop our business here and hope everything is fixed. It's a very positive signing though, of course.  

I hope he plays on Saturday. We need something to look forward to seeing at the weekend.

He played as recently as last week (Copa Del Rey) so hopefully he'll be sharp enough to at least come on as a sub

That AVTV video is one of the best I've seen them make. Fair play to them

Same

Although I'm genuinely worried if Captain Jack is the first person to meet potential signings as they arrive.

I wonder how many signings we've missed out on because they've turned straight round and gone home.

*Lambert runs out of the training ground 30 seconds late for the new signing's arrival and sees his car driving off*

Lambert: For **** sake, Jack. That's the fifth one this window!!

• Like 4

Welcome Carles! Can only be good news. For all Lambert's faults he has made excellent signings for all the main positions at the club, except for the key creative roles of AM and winger. Hopefully Carles can begin to rectify that, but like others I also hope he's not the last this window. 

• Like 1

It concerns me a little that there's already too much pressure on him to be this creative spark that'll change our fortunes. If he does start to run the show in his first couple of games, he'll just be targeted and instantly nullified and we're back to square one, which is why I think it's really important that we bring in another couple of creative players, don't just stop our business here and hope everything is fixed. It's a very positive signing though, of course.  

Whilst I do agree, if he's decent his impact on the team will be far greater than his ability alone.

Because we have nobody who can really play that position as it stands, merely having somebody there who can actually play there should be a huge boost based on tactics alone.

Think of it as if we were playing with no goalkeeper. The impact of then playing any goalkeeper, even if they were shit, would be huge.

• Like 1

Whilst I do agree, if he's decent his impact on the team will be far greater than his ability alone.

Because we have nobody who can really play that position as it stands, merely having somebody there who can actually play there should be a huge boost based on tactics alone.

Think of it as if we were playing with no goalkeeper. The impact of then playing any goalkeeper, even if they were shit, would be huge.

Yeah you're right. Just having that presence and option in the team that we don't currently have should make a big difference, and I guess if teams do single him out for special treatment, it creates more space for other players to play and less emphasis on Benteke, so the team as a whole will benefit. 

The thing that worries me is its all well and good having someone play a creative role but what can you create for static forwards who dont make the right runs. Joe Cole tried his best in the first half against Leicester, I remember him keeping hold of the ball about 45 yards from goal and going from one touchline to the other waiting for movement before giving up and passing it back to Sanchez or someone. Then it gets banded about we cant create anything when in reality its not the creative players fault. Benteke and Gabby just need to wise up (I know that might be beyond Gabby but Tekkers has it in him)

• Like 1

Â