Carles Gil

bose

It concerns me a little that there's already too much pressure on him to be this creative spark that'll change our fortunes. If he does start to run the show in his first couple of games, he'll just be targeted and instantly nullified and we're back to square one, which is why I think it's really important that we bring in another couple of creative players, don't just stop our business here and hope everything is fixed. It's a very positive signing though, of course.  

Whilst I do agree, if he's decent his impact on the team will be far greater than his ability alone.

Because we have nobody who can really play that position as it stands, merely having somebody there who can actually play there should be a huge boost based on tactics alone.

Think of it as if we were playing with no goalkeeper. The impact of then playing any goalkeeper, even if they were shit, would be huge.

Yeah you're right. Just having that presence and option in the team that we don't currently have should make a big difference, and I guess if teams do single him out for special treatment, it creates more space for other players to play and less emphasis on Benteke, so the team as a whole will benefit. 

I just hope Lambert plays a sensible midfield to accomodate him, rather than trying to shoehorn Westwood, Sanchez, Delph, Cleverley and Gill all into one midfield.

Assuming Gil makes an impact, I'd play Sanchez holding, Gil attacking and one of the other 3 to do the hard work in between.

Then Messi and Ronaldo wide with benteke central up front, obviously

• Like 1

Another good signing, the exact type of player. Fair play to Lambert and whoever else managed to convince him to sign.

He has to be better than anyone we currently have but I'm not expecting an immediate impact from him. Shame we've signed him just before these 3 games instead of an easier run where he'd have had a real chance of hitting the ground running.

A lot of pressure on him to be the missing link.

• Like 2

The thing that worries me is its all well and good having someone play a creative role but what can you create for static forwards who dont make the right runs. Joe Cole tried his best in the first half against Leicester, I remember him keeping hold of the ball about 45 yards from goal and going from one touchline to the other waiting for movement before giving up and passing it back to Sanchez or someone. Then it gets banded about we cant create anything when in reality its not the creative players fault. Benteke and Gabby just need to wise up (I know that might be beyond Gabby but Tekkers has it in him)

I said exactly the same thing in the transfer speculation thread.

If we sign Sinclair in this window to hopefully it sees the end of gabby on the wing and cleverley starting every game.

Edited by Jimzk5

The encouraging thing r.e: him settling in straight away etc. is that he's already played with Carlos Sanchez (that Carlos/Carles duo :D).  Hopefully there's some sort of underlying understanding which will help Gil in the immediate short term.

The encouraging thing r.e: him settling in straight away etc. is that he's already played with Carlos Sanchez (that Carlos/Carles duo :D).  Hopefully there's some sort of underlying understanding which will help Gil in the immediate short term.

Yeah, I'm hoping that'll shave 3-4 games off the settling in time

Chuffed re the signing and echo the praise re the AVTV video - best they've done in a long time.

They were hiring a while back, I assume the new guy has helped with some of that stuff. I applied and heard nothing back. I assume the fact that I live 4000 miles away didn't help my case

• Like 1

Chuffed re the signing and echo the praise re the AVTV video - best they've done in a long time.

They were hiring a while back, I assume the new guy has helped with some of that stuff. I applied and heard nothing back. I assume the fact that I live 4000 miles away didn't help my case

I applied too, shame they couldn't get somebody that can lip sync.

Gil is expected to play in the same role as either Andreas Weimann or Charles N’Zogbia.

He sees the 22-year-old playmaker cutting in from a wide right position or often playing in an advanced central role behind Christian Benteke.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-already-8440316

I applied too, shame they couldn't get somebody that can lip sync.

nudging that audio track a bit to the left is highly specialized work you know

Â