Carles Gil

bose

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he can't get a look in at Liverpool. Emile Heskey was also once a lethal striker, when Zigic was playing champions League he must have merited his place their in someones view. My point is that, my point was almost as useless as yours.

Which is exactly what I was trying to say. The idea that "someone wants Gil so he must be good" means nothing. 

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's odd because La Liga is a better league.

No - they have a number of better performing teams, however Premier League is the better league. But let's not get into this :)

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just a couple pages ago someone was saying how no La Liga team would want him. That's in addition to Celta Vigo from what I know.:rolleyes:

Haven't Sevilla also just won the Europa League three years in a row? 

He may be more suited to La Liga or whatever, I will miss him if/when he goes. It was nice to see someone actually do something with the ball!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

. It was nice to see someone actually do something with the ball!

What did you do exactly? Pick up the ball on the half way line, shimmy past a player, but not have the pace to fully beat him, turn back inside, run across the pitch and then give a very poor pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

What did you do exactly? Pick up the ball on the half way line, shimmy past a player, but not have the pace to fully beat him, turn back inside, run across the pitch and then give a very poor pass.

Me? I wrote something on an Internet forum. ;)

Gil? You could say that, or you could say that he had potential to go on and do more. 

But I prefer the did a hell of a lot more than most of the team.

It's the over dramatics I really hate on here, there is no in between, it goes for alot of other players too. It's a wonder any of them ever made it past county league according to lots. I'm sure I just read somewhere he couldn't even pass, or keep the ball. lol.

• Like 4

Personally i like the man and id love for him to stay.

but to me, if we now have this big warchest, id only want players that fit into di matteos plans. Or do we still have a director of football type of character that drives things?

If a player fits perfectly into a managers team/playstyle they would probably be more inclined to pay more for a player we think is sheit.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's odd because La Liga is a better league.

Is it?

It's a different league with a different style. Some players are more suited to certain leagues. Seems Gil isn't suited to the premier league. 

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

or my favourite that I rather Gil here than previous manager next season, when that happened Gil was even worse

Given that the manager in question was Tim Sherwood, I think the poster has been 100% vindicated by history on this score. 

I know you don't seem to believe this, but Tim Sherwood was absolute wank. 

By the way, seven or eight months since he was sacked now, how come no other clubs have taken a chance on the mercurial genius yet?

Sorry if this has been said but for me has lack of pace is a problem for English football. He has bags of ability but unless he is in a position to immediately deliver (albeit shoot,pass or whatever) I always get the feeling that the man he has just beat will track him back with relative ease. Adama has half the ability and footballing brain but is likely to be twice as effective in English football, due to his pace alone. It's a shame because I like the guy and admire his ability but i think he will definitely thrive in a slower more technical football style.

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well, not really because Gil didn't get much playing time under Garde or Black either, did he?

If anything, I'd say subsequent events vindicated Sherwood's evaluation of Gil.

In fairness, a quick mooney suggests Gil played in 18 of 23 games for Garde. Whether he was any good in those games is down to one's own judgement. But he did feature in the majority of the matches we had whilst we had an actual manager in charge.

(Whether that manager is any good, again, comes down to one's own judgement ;))

As for not appearing much under Eric "let's give this lad Bacuna a go" Black, I'm not going to hold that against Gil too much on that front.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

He couldn't handle the physicality of the premier league, I don't think he'll be able to handle the physicality of the championship. Like 95% of the squad, I won't be upset if he goes.

Seriously, where did this "physical Championship" shit come from?  The bigger, stronger, better athletes play at the top level.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

He couldn't handle the physicality of the premier league, I don't think he'll be able to handle the physicality of the championship. Like 95% of the squad, I won't be upset if he goes.

Barry Bannan is hardly an Adonis but managed to handle the Championship and get voted into the team of the season. Gil is a superior player to Bannan so I think Gil would be a standout in the championship. 

Gil is very good technically and has an eye for a pass, he disappointed me last season as his form capitulated with the rest of them but I've seen enough to know he'll be good at this level, he does lack the pace somewhat for the premier league but the Championship is slower and his technique would get him through.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Seriously, where did this "physical Championship" shit come from?  The bigger, stronger, better athletes play at the top level.  

Ok, I'll rephrase. He couldn't handle the physicality of a primary school PE lesson 5-a-side. A gust of wind can send this guy flying.

Just now, Phumfeinz said:

Ok, I'll rephrase. He couldn't handle the physicality of a primary school PE lesson 5-a-side. A gust of wind can send this guy flying.

Fair play to the lad for making it professionally, then.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm so with you on this, keep hearing how tough 'physically' it is, but players slighter players of our past, like Whittinghham, Bennet, Lowton, Bannan, Forester have all performed much better in the lower league. 

In Zatman's defence there were a few posters on here last season saying Gil was comfortably a 10m player if we were to lose him this summer which I had a good chuckle about.

There was another odd one that we had in our squad some players as good as in Leicester team and he mentioned Gil as one of them who would play for them. I looked, saw Mahrez in a similar position and had another good chuckle.

That's probably the hype Zatman is on about.

I'd imagine if you looked hard enough, you'd find that someone said something similar about Albrighton being able to play for a Top 6/ Top 4 when we let him go. It's funny how things turn out isn't it?

Sometimes playing with better defenders behind you, better midfielders next to you and better strikers ahead of you makes you look like a better player.

Personally, I think there are a number of Premier League teams who could make use of Gil (either in a squad/ rotation/ or first team position) if they chose to play the way that suits his style (which requires strikers who have good movement and the ability to score a goal).

• Like 1

Â