The VT Deadpool 2015

bickster

6 Music changed their scheduling on Sunday and shoehorned in some Cilla tribute nonsense. I turned off. It's really not their remit, and can't imagine many of their listeners being into Cilla's music. It's certainly not the stuff they usually play on there. That sort of nonsense should be left to Radio 2.

• Like 1

6 Music changed their scheduling on Sunday and shoehorned in some Cilla tribute nonsense. I turned off. It's really not their remit, and can't imagine many of their listeners being into Cilla's music. It's certainly not the stuff they usually play on there. That sort of nonsense should be left to Radio 2.

That's such a poor editorial decision. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Yeah, I saw a load of tweets from 6music regarding that, and I couldn't get my head around it.

But surely R6's remit is to challenge assumptions? They get you to listen to things you might not normally listen to, even if only as a sampler. 

Some of Cilla's less well known stuff might even appeal to the odd hipster, if only in an ironic way. 

But I agree that she is normally R2 fodder. 

Growing up in the nineties, I always associate Saturday nights with Cilla and I bloody love Saturday nights!

'Blind Date' was part of our Saturday night ritual too.

It was usually on whilst we sat about waiting for the girls to scrub up and put their warpaint on, before heading out the door.

• Like 2

I tell you what though, I'll definitely be avoiding all the tributes, because, as ever, they will definitely be over the top, and the reaction to such extravagance, can often lead me to resent the subject of the panegyric, rather than the luvvie delivering it.  :(

But surely R6's remit is to challenge assumptions? They get you to listen to things you might not normally listen to, even if only as a sampler. 

Some of Cilla's less well known stuff might even appeal to the odd hipster, if only in an ironic way. 

I was listening to Radio 2 in the car and the dreadful Janice Long was playing the scouse card, so I ended up listening to a cd

Liverpool seems to have outdone itself today. Flag on the Town Hall at half mast, knob heads queuing round the block to sign a book of condolence. It appears the Queen of Liverpool is dead.

Local celebrity / radio talk show host Pete Price, a camp gobshite at the best of times is almost beside himself with grief for anyone passing with a camera and a microphone. You'd think he was her best mate

And the truth of the matter is she was just another of those professional scousers like Tarby and Lynchy. bah, its just another of those episodes that makes me wonder what goes on in peoples heads

Slightly OT I guess, but I'm not sure 6 Music's remit is necessarily to 'challenge assumptions' as much as to partly 'push boundaries', and explore new and different, non-popular/non-chart music. Also, I would question whether me thinking (knowing?) Cilla's music was mostly shit was an assumption. To me, it's an informed position I've come to after hearing some of her 'work', so it's not really assumed, it's informed. She was a 60s pop chart music performer, and that really isn't what the listeners of 6 Music tune in for (on the whole). I don't need to hear Cilla's full back catalogue to know what her music was like, in the same way I don't have to hear every Take That song to know I think they are shit and don't want to hear them on 6 Music, You can go to Radio 2 or Radio 1 for bland, popular chart music.

I get the bit about the less well known stuff, but really, Cilla and 6 Music really isn't a good fit, tribute or not. It had me switching channels, which is not something I've had to do much where 6 Music is concerned.

Such sad news about Stephen Lewis.  He was a comedy great - played his role magnificently and even played up to the role when people asked him to in his old age.  I still watch re-runs of On the Buses to this day.  RIP.

"I 'ate you Butler!"

Edited by trekka

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, the great, legendary, Rico Rodriguez died yesterday. 

Rico Rodriguez dies aged 80

The trombonist Rico Rodriguez, who was a member of the Specials, has died at the age of 80, it has been announced.

In a tweet posted on Friday, the band expressed its condolences and said his legacy would “go on forever and a day”. The band’s publicist later confirmed the news.

Rodriguez, who also recorded as a solo artist and played with Jools Holland’s Rhythm and Blues Orchestra, was perhaps best known for his appearance on the Specials’ 1979 cover of Dandy Livingstone’s A Message to You, Rudy – which reached No 10 in the UK charts.

Edited by Seat68
error between laptop and chair
  • Like 1

Â