The VT Deadpool 2015

bickster

A good little story about BB King is how he discovered Joe Bonamassa, he saw him playing guitar in an old beat down bar when Joe was only 10 or 11 years old, King saw something in him anyway and took him under his wing, at the age of 12 Joe Bonamassa was opening for BB King in front of 10,000 people or something like that.

Brilliant guitarist Bonamassa is well worth listening to.

• Like 1

There aren't that many musicians who deserve the accolade of 'legend' but he was one. A lot of people thought that the classic instrumental "Hideaway" was one of his numbers but in fact it was done by Freddie King - no relation. If you haven't heard it and like R & B give it a listen - Clapton does a pretty good version too on the John Mayall LP.

The only up side is that we get to see quite a bit of coverage of the great man on the news  ......................lets hope U2 live forever ! 

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

BB King didnt really mean that much to me, Howlin Wolf, Son House, those are blues people that I love. The over riding thing though is people saying how much they loved him, and a fair few of my favourite musicians sharing their BB King stories and telling how much of a warm welcoming man he was and a significant number of them getting advice from him when they were young guitarists. Seems like he was a lovely guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Charles Kennedy gone at a mere 55

Very sad news. :(

I'd still take him as Lib Dem leader over Clegg even now.

They're a dead party, they may as well have a dead leader. 

• Like 2

Very sad news. :(

I'd still take him as Lib Dem leader over Clegg even now.

They're a dead party, they may as well have a dead leader. 

Dark. 

• Like 1

not Kennedy's fault but one of the tributes to him said that he spoke the language of "ordinary people"  .. he was an MP not bloody Thor

not Kennedy's fault but one of the tributes to him said that he spoke the language of "ordinary people"  .. he was an MP not bloody Thor

I think it's alluding to the widely held belief he cound 'connect' with people, at a human level, as opposed to the droids that appear as leaders now, lile Clegg, The Millibot, or 'Dave'. He appeared human and as such appeared humanly vulnerable, which was perhaps part of his appeal. He wasn't just a 'company man', reared on spin and soundbites, He spoke more from the heart I guess, and as such connected with more people, and the voters for some time seemed to like that. Until the SNP tide ...

One wonders whether it was 1 booze session too many, or a more conscious decision to step away from this realm ... 

• Like 1

Two good guitarists gone this week - Richard Treece (Help Yourself) and Sam Andrew (Big Brother and the Holding Company, i.e. Janis Joplin's band). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guvNPOYjsuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl3wPVTb-hM 

MIDSEASON STANDINGS:

ChrisVillan- 100 (Frank Borghi)

lapal_fan- 100 (Deidre Raslead)

maqroll- 100 (B.B. King)

Ponky- 100 (Richie Benaud)

Seat68- 100 (Jimmy Dickens)

Let me know if I've missed anyone, and I'll update this.

Some stubborn old geezers this year...

Very sad about Charles Kennedy. A great man, certainly drew me to the Liberal Democrats during the Blair years - and not just because of Iraq.

I'm not remotely convinced that either Labour or the Lib Dems are now able to put forward such an outstanding, principled but pragmatic politician of the centre left - and boy do we need one. 

Â