The VT Deadpool 2015

bickster

I think people dropped Rico in the music threads.

Rico the perpetual backing band man that got the biggest cheer. Last time I saw him was up at Brecon Jazz festival about 6 or 7 years ago, in a marquee tent. He was doing his stint with Jools Holland and despite my misgivings about going to a jazz festival to see Mr Holland's big band it was phenomenal, with Rico an absolute highlight. I'd seen him about 20 years earlier and didn't really know who he was back then.

Ooh, he was also the inspiration for The Barry Horns*, who themselves have gone on to be great and recently played backing to the mini Super Furries tour.

1. The Barry Horns are an eleven-piece brass band, made up of fans of the Welsh national football team. Formed in 2011, the band's name is a homage to retired Welsh footballer Barry Horne. Wikipedia

Edited by chrisp65
oooh, another thing....

• 3 weeks later...

Yogi Berra, Yankee legend and American hero, passed away last night. He was 90 years old. Ten World Series championships, three time MVP and an all star 15 years in a row, yet he was arguably more loved for his personality than for his ability.  

One of his famous Yogi-isms was 'It ain't over 'til it's over'. Well, now it is. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Juniuh bin gwan now fi two years

1 year and 11 months, ha-ctually! :rolleyes:

From the Beeb

Jamaican reggae singer Junior Murvin dies, aged 67
3 December 2013
 From the section Entertainment & Arts
Junior Murvin (file image)
Image caption
Junior Murvin was famed for his distinctive falsetto voice
Reggae singer Junior Murvin, best known for the 1976 hit song Police and Thieves, has died in Jamaica aged 67.
His son, Keith Smith, said Murvin died in hospital in Port Antonio on Monday.
The cause of his death has not been established although the singer was being treated for diabetes and high blood pressure.
Police and Thieves, produced by the celebrated Lee "Scratch" Perry, became a 1970s anthem and was later covered by The Clash.
Junior Murvin - born Murvin Junior Smith - began his career as a hotel entertainer in Jamaica, eventually becoming a recording artist in the capital, Kingston, the Jamaica Observer reported.
Police and Thieves was a hit in Jamaica and also took off in the UK where it found an audience with punk rock aficionados.
The song became closely associated with the Notting Hill Carnival in London which ended in rioting the year it was released.
Murvin continued to record through the 1980s although his later singles had less success.

Â