January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

In my un-ITK opinion. I'm pretty confident we'll see a 'big in stature' striker sign on loan before the end of the window..to provide some competition for Benteke while Kozak makes a slow come back.

Heskey?

Any more news on Alli?

Rumours that Spurs are signing him according to some Spurs itk's, I've no idea how reliable these itk's are tho so I guess we will find out over the next couple of days.

Spurs itks have their trousers round their ankles tabbing between football manager and tribal football. 

Grrrr. Why do people read that sort of comment and instantly use it to sling insults.

Who says he didn't already know they were more natural as strikers. I've heard him say that about weimann several times.

He's been lumbered with some crow wingers from the precious manager who didn't use them and has had other areas to prioritise with his paltry amount of transfer money. He's solved Central defence, the goalkeeper, the target man, the deep midfielders and now the full backs. Now he has turned attention to the wingers.

Because it's used as yet another excuse.

If he wanted to play gabby and weimman as forwards then why sign kozak and helenius last summer instead of a wide player?

If he wanted to play them as strikers why sign cleverly in the summer instead of a wide player?

We've just signed gill and Sinclair for a similar amount we paid for Joe Bennett, so the money argument doesn't really fit.

Goal scoring was an issue last season and its become a serious issue this year.

Its great we've finally got them and hopefully it makes the difference we need.

The thing that is always overlooked in these sort of arguments is whether or not the right players were available at those times. Managers needing to improve a team aren't likely to do nothing. It's all well and good to say, for example, that we've signed Gil and Sinclair for a similar cost to Bennett (which I find unlikely given the wages etc.), but have Gil or Sinclair been available for transfer and such a cost up until this point? If not, how can you strengthen without bringing in your #1, #2 or #7 targets?

If you look at the players we've been strongly linked with in the past season or so, it seems clear that Lambert has prioritised an attacking midfielder - but hasn't been able to secure one. Perhaps (speculative) he saw this as a bigger issue than having to play Gabby and Weimann wide in a 4-3-3? If you're going to utilise them there, you need cover for either those guys as wide players or strikers. I seem to remember Helenius being signed and touted as playing in a role behind the striker? He was relatively cheap and potentially versatile - but it didn't work out. Kozak offers a different sort of striker to Benteke, Gabby or Weimann if an attacking midfielder came in.

With all of Lambert's transfers I think there's been good reasoning behind them. Not all have worked, of course, but strengthening the squad initially was a good call. Signing Benteke was a good call. Prioritising the defence after this was a good call. Now we're lacking goals and he continues to look for more attacking players - I think we'd all agree it's a good call. No-one is perfect in a transfer window, but you can't look at getting Gil for £3m now and simply say "why not do this earlier?" when everyone knows football/transfers aren't that simple at all.

This.,well put !!!

In my un-ITK opinion. I'm pretty confident we'll see a 'big in stature' striker sign on loan before the end of the window..to provide some competition for Benteke while Kozak makes a slow come back.

We tried this last January

Grant-Holt-Aston-Villa-shirt_3066623.jpg

It was shit.

Wouldn't mind Mark Uth from Heerenveen FC as a striking option, wouldn't cost a great deal, young too and in good form in eredivisie

Top scorer in Erdivisie. I have seen him play a few times for Heerenveen.. he is very promising indeed.

B8M0UUFCMAIl-_w.png

Edited by Villan4Life

Wouldn't mind Mark Uth from Heerenveen FC as a striking option, wouldn't cost a great deal, young too and in good form in eredivisie

Top scorer in Erdivisie. I have seen him play a few times for Heerenveen.. he is very promising indeed.

B8M0UUFCMAIl-_w.png

Contract ends in summer too

• Like 1

B8M0UUFCMAIl-_w.png

Contract ends in summer too

yep, only 23, German and is 6ft 2! was Podolski's understudy at Koln!! Podolski rates him highly

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2221864-lukas-podolskis-understudy-mark-uth-is-taking-eredivisie-by-storm

Once Lukas Podolski's understudy at Koln, Mark Uth is now an early contender to become Heerenveen's third Eredivisie top scorer in the past four seasons. Who is this unknown German? 

Uth was a prolific marksman at youth level, scoring 24 goals in 26 games for the Koln U19s at 0.92 goals per game.

Inevitably, the question was asked: "Is Uth the new Podolski?"

A gunner in front of goal, Podolski was Koln's most talented player since 1990 FIFA World Cup-winning West German Pierre Littbarski. A once-in-a-generation talent, Podolski was expected to star at Bayern Munich but packed it in after three frustrating seasons.

"It was hard for me, you don't play a lot of matches [at Bayern]," Podolski said, per Matt Lawton at the Daily Mail. "I knew I could play better for Bayern, but I left and went back to Koln because football for me is fun."

"He [Podolski] made it from the youth team all the way to the national squad," Uth said, per Olivia Fritz at Deutsche Welle. "Every young player [at Koln] wants that for himself."

Podolski's return to Koln complicated Uth's path to the first team. 

Elevated to Koln II—the reserve team—Uth's scoring rate drastically dipped to 0.39 (16 goals in 41 games). 

The 0.53 goals per game differential from U19s to reserve level indicated Uth was unlikely to make the step up to Bundesliga level. 

Sitting on the bench with eccentric Japanese centre-back Tomoaki Makino, Uth watched on as Podolski scored twice in Koln's 3-0 win over Augsburg in 2011.

It was the closest Uth got to playing a Bundesliga game. Like Makino, Uth reluctantly came to terms that he was not in Koln's plans as a starter. 

Uth's dreams of emulating Podolski at Koln were dashed.

However, then-Heerenveen technical director Johan Hansma believed in Uth.

"He [uth] is a creative player who has an eye for something special," Hansma said, per Jeremy Lim at Goal. "[He] can make goals just as well as scoring them."

Here is a notional pitch Hansma might have delivered to Uth: "You can be another Ruud van Nistelrooy, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar or Bas Dost, three players whose careers were resurrected by Heerenveen."

Van Nistelrooy, a late bloomer at Den Bosch, showed world-class ability at Heerenveen, as witnessed by Darren Ferguson, who had crossed paths with the centre-forward during trials at the Eredivisie club.

Returning to England, Darren implored his father, Sir Alex Ferguson—then Manchester United manager—to sign Van Nistelrooy [1], per Henry Winter at The Telegraph.

A player like that will cost you at least 8m. 

he's out of contract in the summer and hasn't signed a new deal so probably be £3mil max

Unlikely. We can't loan any other players from the PL and he would cost at least 8m as he plays for Spurs. Would rather we signed another striker. Defoe proved today how important good strikers are.