January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Whilst he's been here for two and a half years, I'm only really judging him from the moment he birthed our new footballing philosophy.

An interesting way to ignore a long period of time.

We changed our style against Southampton, 11 games ago and in those 11 games we got 11 points. So even judging the new change its not better than last seasons average of 1 point a game.

So when do you expect improvement? And then come the summer do you start your point of when judging him again?

I'm not entirely ignoring his whole spell here, I can't forget how he's rescued us from relegation and introduced us to the likes of Benteke, Westwood et al. There have been bad times too whilst the players catch up with Lambert's ideas.

It doesn't really matter at all from what time I judge him anyway. But I think the club (especially Fox) are fully behind Lambert's footballing masterplan, and are judging him from the moment he tried to implement it.

Anyway let's not turn this into another Lambert appreciation thread, on the transfers the players we've signed should help, knowing that Sinclair did well for Swansea while they played a similar style and Gil's ability speaks for itself.

Didn't he put an £8 million bid in for cleverly in the summer?

No he didn't. How many times? He put in an UNDISCLOSED bid that was accepted. Then TC went walkabout so the transfer became a loan, with the option to buy. The option to buy was set at 8 million. The bid would have been nothing like as high as that.

Well as you like to repeatedly say, if you weren't there how could you know? What ever the actual bid was, there was money available. So the idea Lambert couldn't try and sign a wide player is as ridiculous as the majority of your excuse list.

I'm not entirely ignoring his whole spell here, I can't forget how he's rescued us from relegation and introduced us to the likes of Benteke, Westwood et al. There have been bad times too whilst the players catch up with Lambert's ideas.

Haha that's very good.

No he didn't. How many times? He put in an UNDISCLOSED bid that was accepted. Then TC went walkabout so the transfer became a loan, with the option to buy. The option to buy was set at 8 million. The bid would have been nothing like as high as that.

Well as you like to repeatedly say, if you weren't there how could you know? What ever the actual bid was, there was money available. So the idea Lambert couldn't try and sign a wide player is as ridiculous as the majority of your excuse list.

Haha that's very good.

Ahhhh, now the players aren't good enough for Lambert. Ha Haa............... :D

• Like 1

Reckons in Evening Mail that we are after a striker from abroad on loan!

as said before I think we Alexandre Pato would be worth looking at, he is being offered around Premiership clubs at moment, is 25 years old and been playing well again for Corinthians.

Has that sort of Bojan to Stoke feel about it, and could kick-start his career in same way.

Something different to what we already have upfront.

Edited by Villan4Life

Not going to be Demba Ba, but a striker seems to be on the radar

“There’s more competition with the new signings,” added Lambert. “Now Gabby and Andi, who are better as strikers, will challenge (Benteke). I’ve been playing them out wide but they are quick, smaller-type guys, whereas Christian is different. It gives me the option.

“Remember, I left Christian out against Southampton last year and played Libor. He scored that day.

“But if we could bring in another striker we would try if that was feasible.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-love-rush-8552889

Only two and a half seasons to figure that one out?

No, two and a half seasons to scrape the cash together for some wide players. As Lambert says in the rest of the article, scoring goals hasn't been a problem until this season.

I thought we only scored 39 goals last season]

Correct

The 3rd worst goal scoring season in the 100+ year history of the club.

But Lambert's been so bad that's actually considered not a problem.

I guess that's what crackpot meant when he claimed he's better at interpreting stats.

Edited by DCJonah

If we're looking at attacking players to loan from overseas, I think Josip Illcic would be a good shout. Not getting much of a look in at Fiorentina but was pretty good at Palermo and is apparently available for loan. 6ft3 and has got a sweet left foot. Apparently Leeds were looking at getting him on loan so not sure why we couldn't get him

Edited by Biskitt
  • Like 1

as said before I think we Alexandre Pato would be worth looking at, he is being offered around Premiership clubs at moment, is 25 years old and been playing well again for Corinthians.

Has that sort of Bojan to Stoke feel about it, and could kick-start his career in same way.

He's only 25? He's been around for so long. Could be an interesting one. Wonder if he'd fancy a move to the prem.

He's only 25? He's been around for so long. Could be an interesting one. Wonder if he'd fancy a move to the prem.

Everton want him on loan as well!! QPR and Hull have apparently been interested.

His stats speak are good reading and could do well in this league! (image below, someone has changed it to Everton though) but no loan has been agreed yet!

10945693_640159729446975_520625704670552

Edited by Villan4Life

Imagine us with a Brazilian forward. I just cant. I think Ings or Austin would actually do well for us and see us as the perfect next step for either of them. We really need someone to complement Benteke, maybe even Weimann can do that if he plays up top with him now. Lovely finish in the cup last week hopefully he has a bit of confidence back now, certainly beginning to look that way.

Not going to be Demba Ba, but a striker seems to be on the radar

“There’s more competition with the new signings,” added Lambert. “Now Gabby and Andi, who are better as strikers, will challenge (Benteke). I’ve been playing them out wide but they are quick, smaller-type guys, whereas Christian is different. It gives me the option.

“Remember, I left Christian out against Southampton last year and played Libor. He scored that day.

“But if we could bring in another striker we would try if that was feasible.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-love-rush-8552889

Only two and a half seasons to figure that one out?

No, two and a half seasons to scrape the cash together for some wide players. As Lambert says in the rest of the article, scoring goals hasn't been a problem until this season.

Presumably he is talking about Gil and Sinclair, one very cheap, one on loan, so I cannot agree with you on that one.

And your second sentence would indicate that he did not see the necessity for wide players during that time.

Grrrr. Why do people read that sort of comment and instantly use it to sling insults.

Who says he didn't already know they were more natural as strikers. I've heard him say that about weimann several times.

He's been lumbered with some crow wingers from the precious manager who didn't use them and has had other areas to prioritise with his paltry amount of transfer money. He's solved Central defence, the goalkeeper, the target man, the deep midfielders and now the full backs. Now he has turned attention to the wingers.

• Like 1

Pato would be a gamble, short term contract and pay as you play for starters might be a good idea, not sure how his body would hold up to Prem league.

In other news, I just asked if anyone knew anything about this Izco inquiry on Chievo Verona's site, see if that turns up anything, so far I can only find references to the tuttomercato article which could well just be made up.

Grrrr. Why do people read that sort of comment and instantly use it to sling insults.

Who says he didn't already know they were more natural as strikers. I've heard him say that about weimann several times.

He's been lumbered with some crow wingers from the precious manager who didn't use them and has had other areas to prioritise with his paltry amount of transfer money. He's solved Central defence, the goalkeeper, the target man, the deep midfielders and now the full backs. Now he has turned attention to the wingers.

Because it's used as yet another excuse.

If he wanted to play gabby and weimman as forwards then why sign kozak and helenius last summer instead of a wide player?

If he wanted to play them as strikers why sign cleverly in the summer instead of a wide player?

We've just signed gill and Sinclair for a similar amount we paid for Joe Bennett, so the money argument doesn't really fit.

Goal scoring was an issue last season and its become a serious issue this year.

Its great we've finally got them and hopefully it makes the difference we need.

• Like 2

Rewriting history a little bit here. We all recognised midfield as probably the main area that needed strengthening.

Pato would be a big gamble imo

He's extremely injury prone, been out of form for 5 years, failed to fit in at his last couple of clubs, and probably expects to play every game.

Bit like Michael Owen he's had his career ruined by injuries and sadly he's lost the thing that made him a special player

Rewriting history a little bit here. We all recognised midfield as probably the main area that needed strengthening.

Rewriting history? From the man who says we're not in a relegation battle and that goal scoring was fine laat seaaon.

Fans have been talking about wide players for a long time.

I thought cleverly would be a good signing and I was happy with it but I didn't think it was a priority.

Just had a reply on Chievo's site about Izco saying he's their most important player and they don't have anyone else who can cover so he won't be sold.

None of the traditional sports press are carrying it so far.