January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

I really do not know this, but who is actually responsible for picking out signings?

Is it the manager, and if so how does he do it, or is it someone in our scouting network employed by the club?

Lambert is getting the kudos (and brickbats) but how much of it is down to him?

Well, Lambert must have some sort of knowledge since we signed the likes of Benteke and Vlaar in his first transfer window. However, it can't entirely be down to him and as I just said a minute ago, we've introduced several new scouts since Tom Fox arrived. I think it is definitely important for us to continue improving our scouting network if we're to succeed without spending too much money.

Thanks. I must have been writing when you posted.

• Like 1

If we sign Gil, Sinclair and Alli in the same January transfer window, a bronze statue of Paul Lambert will be erected outside Villa Park.

Even if though I have to pay for it myself.

If we actually score a goal in the league or god forbid, win a game, it should be a gold statue  :P

I'm glad you feel that way :)

There are a lot fewer reasons why we shouldn't score goals and win games now. An in-form striker would be nice, but Lambert does need to start producing results, and I've got little doubt that he will. If he doesn't, hell, get someone else in and make Lambert DoF - we can't afford to lose someone who can sign good players for three million pounds.

I'm encouraged by Lambert's eye in the transfer market and as you say, there should be fewer reasons now why we can't improve our form and our pitiful scoring record. I have made no secret that I think Lambert should have been sacked at the end of last season and also after the Leicester away game this season. However, we are where we are now, the transfer window is closing and we have a couple of new bodies in, with hopefully more to come (fingers crossed). Hopefully we can improve going forward and get results that the quality of our team warrants. 

There's only so many miracles Lambert can perform. We've added Sinclair, who's only played about 30 games in the last three years and Gil who whilst a 'golden fleece' of a signing, is still new to the country so might have a quiet spell. I'm sure we'll improve but it'll take time and we shouldn't expect too much too soon.

Like improvement over 2 and a half years? I think by now we should be expecting improvement.

Whilst he's been here for two and a half years, I'm only really judging him from the moment he birthed our new footballing philosophy.

Apparently trying to finalise a deal for Mariano Izco before the window shuts, 31-year-old attacking midfielder from Chievo. He only joined them last summer.

Interesting, just a couple of transfer market news sites in italian with this, see if any of the more traditional sports press have anything tomorrow. He's a good player, had a coupel of injuries this year though I think, he was out for a bit early in the season deffo. Not seen much of Chievo this season to be honest, but he's a good player from what I remember, was with Catania for a while. 

Apparently trying to finalise a deal for Mariano Izco before the window shuts, 31-year-old attacking midfielder from Chievo. He only joined them last summer.

Interesting and quite random too.

Where have you heard this?

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/esclusiva-tmw-chievo-l-aston-villa-su-izco-640760

Sirens English for Chievo midfielder , Mariano Izco . We think Aston Villa , a real possibility for the latter days of the market . Izco can go in the Premier . Aston Villa is in pressure ...

good old google translate!!

• Like 1

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/esclusiva-tmw-chievo-l-aston-villa-su-izco-640760

Sirens English for Chievo midfielder , Mariano Izco . We think Aston Villa , a real possibility for the latter days of the market . Izco can go in the Premier . Aston Villa is in pressure ...

Why do Agents and chairmen use Villa as a shop Window to raise interest in their players?

Why do Agents and chairmen use Villa as a shop Window to raise interest in their players?

Because  Proud History, Bright Future. 

Because believe it or not were still a club players would want to join.

Not going to be Demba Ba, but a striker seems to be on the radar

“There’s more competition with the new signings,” added Lambert. “Now Gabby and Andi, who are better as strikers, will challenge (Benteke). I’ve been playing them out wide but they are quick, smaller-type guys, whereas Christian is different. It gives me the option.

“Remember, I left Christian out against Southampton last year and played Libor. He scored that day.

“But if we could bring in another striker we would try if that was feasible.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-love-rush-8552889

• Like 2

“There’s more competition with the new signings,” added Lambert. “Now Gabby and Andi, who are better as strikers, will challenge (Benteke). I’ve been playing them out wide but they are quick, smaller-type guys, whereas Christian is different. It gives me the option.

“Remember, I left Christian out against Southampton last year and played Libor. He scored that day.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-would-love-rush-8552889

Only two and a half seasons to figure that one out?

• Like 1

No, two and a half seasons to scrape the cash together for some wide players. As Lambert says in the rest of the article, scoring goals hasn't been a problem until this season.

• Like 1

No, two and a half seasons to scrape the cash together for some wide players. As Lambert says in the rest of the article, scoring goals hasn't been a problem until this season.

He's a pretty limited manager if he can't get the best out of what he called his best squad yet.