Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

John Carver warns Aston Villa there will be no sympathy from Newcastle United fans
Magpies head coach John Carver remembers the reaction of Villa faithful when Newcastle United were relegated in 2009

Getty ImagesJS54220987.jpg
Newcastle United caretaker manager John Carver

John Carver has warned Aston Villa he is in no mood to show the relegation-haunted club any mercy this weekend.

The Newcastle United head coach says it still hurts to this day when he thinks about Villa fans rubbing salt into the wounds of Geordie supporters as the club were relegated six years ago at Villa Park.

The aftermath of the 1-0 defeat saw Villa fans unfurl banners reading: “Sob on the Tyne” and “Who’s your next Messiah? Ant or Dec?” as Newcastle fans were waved off to the Championship.

With Tim Sherwood’s side now in the relegation zone and needing close to title-winning form to stay up, Carver admitted there was no love lost between himself and Aston Villa.

Carver told the Chronicle: “Let me tell you, I never spoke to anybody for an hour after that full-time whistle went.

“It really hurt me. I wasn’t with the football club, but it’s my club.

“That hurt me. Every time you come up against Aston Villa that stays in there.

“I remember the reaction of their fans after the game and that stays inside and will never go away.

“So every time you come against Aston Villa it’s in the back of my head.”

And on the possibility of Villa being relegated, Carver said: “It happened to us a few seasons ago and it wasn’t nice.

“It’s funny how things work out in life.”

Edited by GENTLEMAN

we can sit there pontificating about who upset who over the years.

John Carvers comments are totally irrelevant.... do you really expect an easy ride from any competitor, no.

We know what we have to do....now (players) go out and bloody do it.

John Carver can suck a dick

preferably yours :) I'm fussy.

• Like 1

I've got no problem with their fans giving as good as they got. But really, do they think anyone else would have reacted differently if they'd been somewhere else on the last day? Are they mental?

Everybody found that funny. It was funny. Us going down won't mean it wasn't funny.

Edited by ChrisVillan
  • Like 2

Do we think everyone will find us going down as funny as when Newcastle went down? 

I think Baggies, Sunderland and Newcastle will love it. Can't imagine anyone else being too bothered. 

I think we've been circling the drain for long enough that it won't be as funny.

I also think Villa fans are perceived as being a miserable bunch anyway.

What was so funny about NEwcastle is the high opinion they have of themselves, even when they're crap.

I thin most Villa fans openly acknowledge how shit we are

• Like 3

Carver can think and say what he likes. Bottom line is that we have way more to play for than them and therefore way more riding on this game and what happened 6 years ago isn't going to mean their players being as up for the game as we are. It shouldn't do anyway. If we lose tomorrow due to a lack of effort and fight then, despite how long he has been here, both Sherwood and the players want f**king as given our current predicament that would be unforgivable.

• Like 2

Do we think everyone will find us going down as funny as when Newcastle went down? 

I think Baggies, Sunderland and Newcastle will love it. Can't imagine anyone else being too bothered. 

We're too boring to be funny. Most other supporters will just be relieved, I think.

• Like 1

Vicious cycle: Players won't fight for fans who have given up, and resulting lack of spirit and lack of goals further depress fans -- rinse and repeat, ad nauseam.

We need to lurch out of the death spiral.

We tried to break that cycle last Saturday. Now it's their turn.

a LOT of neutrals want us to go down because they see us as one of those utterly pointless clubs... and it's hard to argue at the moment

If not having much chance of success in the league qualifies you as pointless, then we're no more pointless than most of the other teams in the division. I think a lot of fans wouldn't mind seeing us go down not because they have a dislike for the VIlla but for the simple reason that we're a big club and us going down would be a big talking point. It would be the same if it were Tottenham or Everton struggling.

• Like 1