Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

If not having much chance of success in the league qualifies you as pointless, then we're no more pointless than most of the other teams in the division. I think a lot of fans wouldn't mind seeing us go down not because they have a dislike for the VIlla but for the simple reason that we're a big club and us going down would be a big talking point. It would be the same if it were Tottenham or Everton struggling.

That is true to a degree, but the fact that we've been so drab to watch for many a season plays it's part.

Spuds and Everton at least play some decent football.

• Like 2

Don't think we really need 'title winning form' to stay up do we?

I was about to say this. Unless 3 other clubs around us also have title-winning form, then we don't either. We need to win 3 games to stay up.

Come on.

He is hardly going to come out and say "Well.. we will see what the others do maybe three might enough; who knows to be honest it depends on what the others do."

Six is a high target but it's public talk. In private I am pretty sure he has a small target.

• Like 1

First of let me say that i would be gutted if we went down. However, the prospect of being in the Championship next season gives me a bit of excitement and here are the reasons :

1. Youth - We will inevitably be forced into selling some of our best players i.e Vlaar, Benteke, delph But in my opinion these players have shown me nothing this season that they can even be of use in the Championship. Getting rid of some players and with our Youth setup and facilities should put us in good shape to bed our younger players like Grealish/Robinson/Donacien into the first team who in my opinion are more than capable of playing in the championship with a bit of pride/passion to go along with it.

2.The league is exciting - the Premier league has become stagnant/boring in 'my opinion' its easy to predict the top 4 and bottom teams every year with the gap between the top 7 and the rest becoming so great. With the exceptions of Southampton. At least in the Championship we might be offering a challenge in the top section of the league and offering the fans some success. Not one fan on here can say they have enjoyed being in a relegation battle for the last 4 years with and most importantly no sign of improvement.

3. Complete rebuild of mentality and playing staff - This is perhaps the most important thing for me. For years now we don't even go into home matches expecting to win and it looks like the current crop of players just don't want to succeed. Going down gives us the option to start again. Most of our playing squad will change, staff will change, set up will change. I'm not sure about all of you but i feel like we need something to change in the club whether in the championship or the Premier League.   

Before everyone starts firing the negatives of going down at me i understand the loss of TV money and the potential to turn into the next Leeds or Wednesday which of course is a possibility. I still go to Villa every other week out of loyalty to the club but this season and last have almost drained me of passion towards the club and i am starting to find excuses not to go. Hey if we do go down at least there is potential of a few decent fixtures (Blues, Wolves, Leeds, Forrest). I mainly worry about our attendances if we go down as many people will not agree with this post and would not go if we were relegated. But i honestly believe relegation could give us the chance to rebuild and return to the premier league better prepared financially and mentally.    

Y'know what, I'm still excited. As we sit here on the eve' of game day, a little part of my heart thinks we could smash them.

We may be in the sh*t, but I'm gonna enjoy the corn while we're here.

• Like 1

I actually think we'll lose tomorrow and still stay up.

Cutting it a bit fine though.

4 wins is boderline imo to staying up, we won't get the 6 Sherwood wants but yeah 4 wins and 3 draws would just be enough I reckon.

If we don't win tomorrow though then to me it comes down to us beating four out of West Brom, Swansea, Sunderland, QPR, Burnley and West Ham. I don't see us winning any of the other games as Martinez has our number at Villa Park and we get soundly beaten in Manchester and at WHL although Sherwood will be up for that one.

If not having much chance of success in the league qualifies you as pointless, then we're no more pointless than most of the other teams in the division. I think a lot of fans wouldn't mind seeing us go down not because they have a dislike for the VIlla but for the simple reason that we're a big club and us going down would be a big talking point. It would be the same if it were Tottenham or Everton struggling.

That is true to a degree, but the fact that we've been so drab to watch for many a season plays it's part.

Spuds and Everton at least play some decent football.

This is exactly right. I don't know a single non-Villa fan who wants us to stay up. Our matches have been awful this season, we combine an inept and toothless attack with a comparatively stubborn defence, it's absolutely the worst combination from an entertainment point of view. 

• Like 2

We may be in the sh*t, but I'm gonna enjoy the corn while we're here.

This is probably the most disgusting turn of phrase I've heard in a while.

And I fully intend on using it in conversation at least once tomorrow.

• Like 1

Leicester: 89.3%

QPR: 63.3% vv

Villa: 58.6% ^

Burnley: 57.4%

Sunderland: 13.3%

Hull: 11.5% ^

Palace: 3.6%

WBA: 2.4%

Newcastle: 0.3%

Everton: 0.3%

Leicester: 85.1% v

Villa: 64.9% vvv

Burnley: 61.0% v

QPR: 45.0% ^

Hull: 25.5% ^^^

Sunderland: 10.3% v

WBA: 4.5% ^^

Palace: 3.6%

Everton: 0.1%

Palace winning, not good.

This West ham team are on the Beach, puttin sun tan lotion on big Sam's back. We should beat them, Sam don't seem interested since he found out they don't want him to sign another contract. There safe no point in grafting.

• Like 1

First of let me say that i would be gutted if we went down. However, the prospect of being in the Championship next season gives me a bit of excitement and here are the reasons :

1. Youth - We will inevitably be forced into selling some of our best players i.e Vlaar, Benteke, delph But in my opinion these players have shown me nothing this season that they can even be of use in the Championship. Getting rid of some players and with our Youth setup and facilities should put us in good shape to bed our younger players like Grealish/Robinson/Donacien into the first team who in my opinion are more than capable of playing in the championship with a bit of pride/passion to go along with it.

2.The league is exciting - the Premier league has become stagnant/boring in 'my opinion' its easy to predict the top 4 and bottom teams every year with the gap between the top 7 and the rest becoming so great. With the exceptions of Southampton. At least in the Championship we might be offering a challenge in the top section of the league and offering the fans some success. Not one fan on here can say they have enjoyed being in a relegation battle for the last 4 years with and most importantly no sign of improvement.

3. Complete rebuild of mentality and playing staff - This is perhaps the most important thing for me. For years now we don't even go into home matches expecting to win and it looks like the current crop of players just don't want to succeed. Going down gives us the option to start again. Most of our playing squad will change, staff will change, set up will change. I'm not sure about all of you but i feel like we need something to change in the club whether in the championship or the Premier League.   

Before everyone starts firing the negatives of going down at me i understand the loss of TV money and the potential to turn into the next Leeds or Wednesday which of course is a possibility. I still go to Villa every other week out of loyalty to the club but this season and last have almost drained me of passion towards the club and i am starting to find excuses not to go. Hey if we do go down at least there is potential of a few decent fixtures (Blues, Wolves, Leeds, Forrest). I mainly worry about our attendances if we go down as many people will not agree with this post and would not go if we were relegated. But i honestly believe relegation could give us the chance to rebuild and return to the premier league better prepared financially and mentally.    

I admire your optimism but personally I think it will be a disaster. We will be stuck down there for years to come.