Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

I don't like getting drunk but I do enjoy drinking. 2 of whatever I'm drinking seems to be the limit. Two pints of guinness, ale, cider;  two glasses of wine / two whiskies. Can't do more than that anymore  mind - generally. Not that I ever really want to. Whether it's a quiet night at the pub or simply a couple of looseners at a gig, after two, I'm done. With the exception of last night, but thats the fault of my father in law to be, oh and last wednesday and friday. 

And drinking at home is fine. Far fewer bell-ends around who've had too much to drink. Plus the usual necessity to soak some meats in a bit of wine too. 

17 hours ago, Xela said:

I don't get people drinking at home on their own. Drinking for me is social, otherwise i'd rather have a cup of tea or a juice! 

Same here, I don't think I have ever had a drink at home on my own

I think there's an important distinction to be made between 'drinking' and 'getting drunk'. Different kinds of people:

1. Like alcoholic drinks, but don't like getting too drunk 

2. Don't care about the taste, but just drink to get wasted 

3. Like the taste, but mainly drink to get drunk 

4. Don't like the taste, don't like being drunk 

I'm mainly type (1). 

• Like 2

im a mixture of 2 and 3 depending on who im with and what im doing, at the villa for example im 2, i'll end up in a round where i'll get bought carling and jager bombs, if im round someones houese for a night then im a 3, will take a good rum and some decent cider but the aim will still be to get very drunk

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think there's an important distinction to be made between 'drinking' and 'getting drunk'. Different kinds of people:

1. Like alcoholic drinks, but don't like getting too drunk 

2. Don't care about the taste, but just drink to get wasted 

3. Like the taste, but mainly drink to get drunk 

4. Don't like the taste, don't like being drunk 

I'm mainly type (1). 

I'm 1 and 3, depending on the company.

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I like drinking, I like the taste and I like to get drunk. 

Me, too.

I have no problem going out for a night and not drinking at all, either.

In keeping with the thread, I don't 'get' drinking and not getting drunk - I either drink properly or not at all.

Edited by snowychap
changed to I
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2016 at 08:41, Wainy316 said:

Getting drunk is the only way to make drunk people bearable.

Fixed for you.

I love getting drunk, but to a certain point. Had a scare about a year ago where I went to a friends house party for some drinks, got so drunk I blacked out, woke up the next day on a sofa in house I didn't recognise, with a black eye, chipped tooth, one shoe, no phone, no wallet, no jacket, and had absolutely no idea what had happened. 

That put me of excessively drinking...

Edited by PieFacE

I drink quite a few times during an average week. Have no problem at all with drinking in the house, in fact sitting down to watch a movie with a nice glass of wine or a pint or two of decent beer is a definitive highlight.

However, I never ever drink excessively. I get a 'buzz' on so to speak, but in all my years drinking i've never been in a situation where I can't stand up / have no idea where I am etc etc. That sort of drinking holds no appeal to me at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I love getting drunk, but to a certain point. Had a scare about a year ago where I went to a friends house party for some drinks, got so drunk I blacked out, woke up the next day on a sofa in house I didn't recognise, with a black eye, chipped tooth, one shoe, no phone, no wallet, no jacket, and had absolutely no idea what had happened. 

That put me of excessively drinking...

I find that certain drinks do that and other ones don't, and I don't just mean alcohol content.  Vodka for me is a completely different kind of drunk to whiskey, similarly gin would be different again.  Same with the lower alcohol contents.  Guinness v lager v cider.  All a different kind of night.  I've been warned off vodka and red bull because bad things happen and I lose memory recall.  But yeah I can understand not liking the morning after if you can't recall.  Just remember that at the time it's all happening, you're still you.  OK it's a drunk you.  All you've stopped doing is pressing the 'record' button in your brain.

We're also talking cross purposes here.

The question "Do you drink at home" is not really literally asking if you drink at home.  It's asking if you have sessions at home and end up drunk.  Some are answering the literal with 'a glass of wine with dinner' or 'a beer over a CL game' etc.  Others will down a 6 pack or more which would be 'drinking at home' (subtext : with the intention of getting drunk).  I get both sides of the argument.  FTR I don't drink at home and it's kind of for the same reasons others have said.  It's a social thing for me.  But I've known people who were militantly against drinking anything alcoholic at home, I suspect because their own demons would have turned it into something habitual and very negative.  For them, alcohol was exclusively a social thing and once it came into the home there was no way of controlling it (and them).

• Like 2

I drink at home to excess at least 3 times a week. 4 really if I was being honest. If I dont wake up with at the very least a fuzzy head on a friday morning, thats thursday night wasted.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I find that certain drinks do that and other ones don't, and I don't just mean alcohol content.  Vodka for me is a completely different kind of drunk to whiskey, similarly gin would be different again.  Same with the lower alcohol contents.  Guinness v lager v cider.  All a different kind of night.  I've been warned off vodka and red bull because bad things happen and I lose memory recall.  But yeah I can understand not liking the morning after if you can't recall.  Just remember that at the time it's all happening, you're still you.  OK it's a drunk you.  All you've stopped doing is pressing the 'record' button in your brain.

Yeah I know what you mean. It didn't help I was drinking JD all night, whilst drinking shots of Fireball. Urgh... the thought of Fireball makes me feel queasy. Think mixing some drinks can definitely be a dangerous game.  

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah I know what you mean. It didn't help I was drinking JD all night, whilst drinking shots of Fireball. Urgh... the thought of Fireball makes me feel queasy. Think mixing some drinks can definitely be a dangerous game.  

For me, whiskey is only ever something to be savoured.  I never drink whiskey 'to get drunk'.  That's a recipe for disaster IMO.  My mother used to call it 'a madman's drink'.  I'll sit sipping a single malt and I have expensive taste in whiskey.  But even the lesser blended stuff has to be good enough to be drank completely neat.  Never anything in it.  Not even an ice cube.  The logic being that it's probably taken them 400 years to perfect the recipe.  I'm not going to put tap water or, worse, Coca Cola into it.  The fact JD is only ever drank with coke or similar tells you enough about JD as a drink!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

For me, whiskey is only ever something to be savoured.  I never drink whiskey 'to get drunk'.  That's a recipe for disaster IMO.  My mother used to call it 'a madman's drink'.  I'll sit sipping a single malt and I have expensive taste in whiskey.  But even the lesser blended stuff has to be good enough to be drank completely neat.  Never anything in it.  Not even an ice cube.  The logic being that it's probably taken them 400 years to perfect the recipe.  I'm not going to put tap water or, worse, Coca Cola into it.  The fasct JD is only ever drank with coke or similar tells you enough about JD as a drink :)

I fully appreciate what you're saying, I'm by no means a whiskey drinker, I can't stand "nice" or "expensive" whiskey, give me JD/Bullet and diet coke and I'm happy as larry...

I have no class :( 

Edited by PieFacE

Â