Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Just now, PieFacE said:

I fully appreciate what you're saying, I'm by no means a whiskey drinker, I can't stand "nice" or "expensive" whiskey, give me JD and diet coke and I'm happy as larry...

I have no class :( 

No no, I didn't want to come across as a whiskey snob :/  I really am not. People like what they like and more power to you if you can drink JD "all night".  I'm not sure I could stay vertical drinking that all night.  Some people use it differently to others.  I regard whiskey as a treat, so I limit myself to the 'good stuff'.  Others use it as their de facto going out drink.  And you'd need a pretty penny to be drinking 16 year old Bushmills at the rate others are downing JDs.  If I had to match you drinking JD, I'd probably go for Captain Morgans.

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

JD is vile stuff.

The McDonalds of whiskey.

I'd take it over Paddy to be honest.  You could fuel a car on that stuff.  Rough as arses and yet quite popular.  I should like it because 'Paddy' was an O'Flaherty ... but nope ...

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd take it over Paddy to be honest.  You could fuel a car on that stuff.  Rough as arses and yet quite popular.  I should like it because 'Paddy' was an O'Flaherty ... but nope ...

Yeah, I'm sure there are worse whiskeys around, but I meant it more as a 'mass consumption' type comparison to be honest.

Not heard of that Paddy stuff to be honest Bri, but i'll steer well clear now :thumb:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah, I'm sure there are worse whiskeys around, but I meant it more as a 'mass consumption' type comparison to be honest.

Not heard of that Paddy stuff to be honest Bri, but i'll steer well clear now :thumb:

After Jameson and Bushmills, it's probably the next most popular Irish whiskey.  Although Jameson definitely accounts for the lion's share of sales in the Republic.  So it's by no means a minnow.  I'm surprised you've never heard of it.

I like whiskey, but I do admit I don't know the difference between single malts/blends etc.

I probably would actually, Bells blended, Glenn Fiddy single.

That said, I don't know the obvious taste signals.

I do like Glenn Fiddy, McCallan, Monkey Shoulder and sometimes Talisker is nice.

But I do tend to add an ice cube to the drink, which I know is frowned upon.  At least I do "the burn" when I'm drinking it so I can actually taste the stuff :)

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I like a bit of Black Bush.

Or Shirley Bassey as it's commonly known ;)

The old puns never get tiring "Love a nice [ten | sixteen] year old Bush" :P #KnowYourAudience

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

For me, whiskey is only ever something to be savoured.  I never drink whiskey 'to get drunk'.  That's a recipe for disaster IMO.  My mother used to call it 'a madman's drink'.  I'll sit sipping a single malt and I have expensive taste in whiskey.  But even the lesser blended stuff has to be good enough to be drank completely neat.  Never anything in it.  Not even an ice cube.  The logic being that it's probably taken them 400 years to perfect the recipe.  I'm not going to put tap water or, worse, Coca Cola into it.  The fact JD is only ever drank with coke or similar tells you enough about JD as a drink!

Do you drink Japanese whisky? I find some of the Suntory stuff lovely

As for water, don't some of the whisky makers actually recommend a drop of water to bring out the taste? I've got a reasonable selection of single malts but haven't had any on a while

When I say I don't drink at home, I meant to excess. I've never caned a four pack of Skol, because what's the point? 

Do you drink Japanese whisky? I find some of the Suntory stuff lovely

As for water, don't some of the whisky makers actually recommend a drop of water to bring out the taste? I've got a reasonable selection of single malts but haven't had any on a while

When I say I don't drink at home, I meant to excess. I've never caned a four pack of Skol, because what's the point? 

I don't think I've ever had a Japanese whiskey. Open to it though :) And yeah some people like a drop of water to bring out the flavour. I've done both and I prefer neat.

The Yamazaki is a good choice. 12yo is superb. I don't think they do it now, or it may be called Distillers Choice.

Hibiki is very nice for a blend

• Like 1

From my experience I wouldn't...

I don't understand it either, went to scotchland with work, several of them all drinking different brands and types, all of them tried to educate me, good stuff shit stuff expensive stuff, it's just a long hard burn all the way down

• Like 1

Speyside or Islay are my preferred regions, tending towards Islay. Laphroaig make some cracking whiskeys. 

Right now I've got a bottle of Hakushu single malt which is nice, and a bottle of Jura Superstition which is not so nice. I'm a student at the moment so I can't really spend too much on whiskey, but back when I was working I got this lot:

ER3ujq8.jpg

That was a good few months. I remember the Woodford Reserve being insanely sweet (tasted like vanilla imo - but then it is a bourbon), and the Aberlour A'Bunadh tasted like chocolate orange. Great stuff.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I don't really understand whiskey. Where would you recommend I start?

The usual starting point for a single malt is Glenfiddich. However, i can't stand it!

Check out Master of Malt or Whiskey Exchange websites - as well as selling them, they have a lot of history about each one and reviews etc

Its like real ale - how do you start there? Just taste one and take it from there :)

• Like 3

Â