Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Particle physics, reading music, whisky and parenthood are good examples for this thread. "Things that other people like, but I dislike" are perhaps better placed in the "piss you off thread".

This one is more for "I actually want to appreciate/comprehend it, but for some reason I don't".

Then we have social media, where an awful lot of people are then claiming "CHEEKY GIRLS SHOULD SOOOOO NOT HAVE GOT THROUGH!! ZOMG!!!"

are you getting your social media off "Dave TV " ?

Reality TV, I honestly, HONESTLY, don't understand how people can get endorphins flowing around their brains watching "reality" (because it's not real at all) TV.

Never mind how many of them there actually are.  And we sit here, a suck it up.  And it's not only the actual TV shows, it's the way there are spin off TV shows - TO DISCUSS WHAT WE'VE JUST SEEN!!! (Big Brothers Big Mouth, The Xtra Factor etc).

And it doesn't stop there, we have to listen to the radio in the car, and because it's current and popular, the radio presenters feel the need to give their two cents!

Then we have social media, where an awful lot of people are then claiming "CHEEKY GIRLS SHOULD SOOOOO NOT HAVE GOT THROUGH!! ZOMG!!!"

It seems to me like the world is turning into one big, **** off water cooler and regardless of how hard I try, I can't escape the inane nonsense of "Celebrity".

The saving grace, I guess, is that I recently read an article saying that in the States, reality TV shows are dropping left, right and centre.  As usual, the UK will follow suit about 18 months later.

I am with you on the reality TV totally. (the singing shows and something thinks it has got talent are dead and 100% rubbish) ....however

It is not a dead sphere of entertainment though IF it was more reality.

Drop people in the Amazon rainforest with a compass,  bottle of water and a video camera that uploads as they film or similar then yeah maybe but currently there is no reality in the current reality shows,  that's the problem.  You want a reality Police program then live upload the cameras from the cars or plod cameras otherwise go away.

• Like 1

The Smiths - The adulation they receive, typically to make the person think they are being "cool", why?

you were probably too old when they came out but the Smiths were the opposite of cool  ... the main cred they get is due to Johnny Marr as most people think Morrissey is clearing in the woods

I don't think I've seen any super cool parents dressing their little darling year old  in a Smiths T-shirt yet , that still seems to be a market cornered by the Ramones and the Stones

Which has just reminded me, The Ramones.   

Maybe I'm not the right age or something.   I was born in '79, my parents were very young when I was born (21 and 20) so my Dad's formative years really happened during the Punk revolution and as a result I grew up listening to a lot of Punk music.  Most of it I quite liked, again it may have been an age thing because at around about the time I was really getting into music at the age of 12 or 13 Nirvana went stellar and the Manic Street Preachers were making a lot of noise so there was something of a Punk revival as loud angry music was in vogue.  It led to an appreciation of a lot of Punk/New Wave bands on my part.   The Ramones though?  My dad was a fan, I heard them all the time when I was a kid but as far as I'm concerned they were a half decent band with one very very good song and the rest of their popularity was all down to image.  The leather jackets looked cool, the stage names were a brilliant idea and people seem to really like the T- Shirts but the music behind it all?  Meh.  It still makes me smile when I see people wearing Ramones T-Shirts. I saw an asian girl in one just the other day, she can't have been much older than 15. I wonder what her three favourite Ramones albums are? 

• Like 1

Sushi.

I mean it's okay but of all the things you could possibly eat why does anyone ever choose it.

The best part of sushi is the mayonnaise anyway: the least healthy part of it.

Art  - as in paintings and sculptures etc. I am just incapable of responding to them in the way some people do. I mean I can acknowledge the effort and craftmanship that goes into, but I just don't get that "response" that leads to bizarre jouissance amongst its connoisseurs.  I have gone to museums and I've never seen something that makes me stop, staggered and amazed by the human condition or anything like that. I know part of that is just the format. But essentially I can't help but think, it's just re-modelled clay / re-arranged globules of paint.

I know it's something I couldn't reproduce, I just don't get the appeal.  

• Like 1

Art  - as in paintings and sculptures etc. I am just incapable of responding to them in the way some people do. I mean I can acknowledge the effort and craftmanship that goes into, but I just don't get that "response" that leads to bizarre jouissance amongst its connoisseurs.  I have gone to museums and I've never seen something that makes me stop, staggered and amazed by the human condition or anything like that. I know part of that is just the format. But essentially I can't help but think, it's just re-modelled clay / re-arranged globules of paint.

I know it's something I couldn't reproduce, I just don't get the appeal.  

I know exactly what you mean - I don't have that critical response to art either. I can see the talent that went into its creation but I never think "wow thats incredible" 

The only thing that has ever had that utterly speechless effect on me was standing outside the Great Pyramid at Giza. Just the sheer scale and effort to build the damn thing was breathtaking. 

I appreciate The Ramones on a level of being fun. There's no great substance to their music. They were not great musicians. They just wrote (and covered) some really catchy songs. They found a winning formula and stuck to it. That said in doing so they laid the foundation for, and inspired the much better and interesting bands that followed. No Ramones, no Television, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth etc etc. Plus they looked cool as ****.

• Like 1

Â