Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's a pop song, not Shakespeare. That's a perfectly good line in the context of the song. 

Fair enough. I know some very intelligent people who love Oasis for what they are. Not for Me. But English pop artists can walk and chew gum at the same time sometimes, too: 

A smash of glass and the rumble of boots
An electric train and a ripped up phone booth
Paint splattered walls and the cry of a tomcat
Lights going out and a kick in the balls “

I mean, that’s brilliant. So concrete and precise — wish I could write like that. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

"A smash of glass and the rumble of boots

I mean, that’s brilliant. So concrete and precise — wish I could write like that. 

Sure. And Noel G couldn't have written: 

Darkness at the break of noon

Shadows even the silver spoon

The handmade blade, the child’s balloon

Eclipses both the sun and moon

To understand you know too soon

There is no sense in trying

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn

Suicide remarks are torn

From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn

Plays wasted words, proves to warn

That he not busy being born is busy dying

But sometimes I'm just as happy with 'Louie Louie', knowarramean? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Fair enough. I know some very intelligent people who love Oasis for what they are. Not for Me. But English pop artists can walk and chew gum at the same time sometimes, too: 

A smash of glass and the rumble of boots

Is that part of the screenplay from a scene in the Matrix?

• Like 1

There’s probably a reason for this and I’m just being thick, but checking in to a hotel or a flight, days earlier, online.

I booked a hotel last week for this Sunday night. I’ve just had an email come through saying I can now check in. So I clicked “check in”. It said “Great news, Mr Whack, you’re now checked in!”

Who’s that for? What’s happened?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

There’s probably a reason for this and I’m just being thick, but checking in to a hotel or a flight, days earlier, online.

I booked a hotel last week for this Sunday night. I’ve just had an email come through saying I can now check in. So I clicked “check in”. It said “Great news, Mr Whack, you’re now checked in!”

Did the room key not magically emerge from your computer monitor?

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

You've lost your refund.... but sir, you did check in

You have, however, reduced the risk of them reselling the room

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

flight, if carrying hand luggage only you can get an emailed boarding pass and go straight to security and not have to stand in line to get your paper boarding ticket. it's well handy.

checking in early for a hotel? that's a new one on me...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I use early check in.

It should, in theory, mean that when you rock up and announce you’re Mr Whack they don’t do the whole stare at the monitor, ask you what your address is, ask for a copy of your card. That dull 2 minutes before they hand over a key. They just hand over the key, which was already waiting for you.

The actual advantage to you is as Bicks says, you defo have a room now. I have a card that guarantees me a room if I give 24 hours notice of wanting one, even if the hotel was ‘full’. You just guaranteed I didn’t take your room off you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

For a flight, it guarantees your seat. As all airlines oversell seats, I've been in a situation where i've got to the airport to check in for a flight to Hamburg and they said i'd been moved to standby as the flight was full. My protestations that I paid for the **** flight six months ago were met with "Its in the t & c's, deal with it"

I got on the flight as not everyone turned up, but it made me mega paranoid about it. Now I check into a flight online as soon as possible. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I use early check in.

It should, in theory, mean that when you rock up and announce you’re Mr Whack they don’t do the whole stare at the monitor, ask you what your address is, ask for a copy of your card. That dull 2 minutes before they hand over a key. They just hand over the key, which was already waiting for you.

The actual advantage to you is as Bicks says, you defo have a room now. I have a card that guarantees me a room if I give 24 hours notice of wanting one, even if the hotel was ‘full’. You just guaranteed I didn’t take your room off you.

Over here your room key is in the hotel app in some chains. You can even pick your room in the app when you check in. Use your phone to open the door.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2023 at 22:48, Marka Ragnos said:

Oasis might as well be on this thread, too. I don't know what's scarier: That someone expended effort writing lines such as "And all the roads we have to walk are winding" or that perhaps someone didn't expend any effort—and people still love them.

Or you can take that lyric as meaning that the path you're on is going to be hard and then "and all the lights that light the way are blinding" as meaning that the spotlight is on you as in everyone is watching and then add in the rest of the lyrics and realise that wonderwall is actually a brilliant love song

If you want to go after she's electric then have it...but wonderwall ain't the one, it's a great song

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or you can take that lyric as meaning that the path you're on is going to be hard and then "and all the lights that light the way are blinding" as meaning that the spotlight is on you as in everyone is watching and then add in the rest of the lyrics and realise that wonderwall is actually a brilliant love song

You could say "Its a long and winding road". Another bit of great lyrical work, eh @bickster :detect:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Effective use of alliteration, too - walk/winding. I'm not a big Oasis fan, but that line was fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If you want to go after she's electric then have it...but wonderwall ain't the one, it's a great song

"The only way that I can sing is whining. There are many things that I would like to say to you, but I don't know how, without whining."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I use early check in.

I've also been to hotels that use electronic keys. I think it was a hilton. So you check in on an app, they send you the key which you can add to your apple or google wallet, and that's what gets you into the room. I think i got to choose my room on there too

So you can then just walk straight up to your room without speaking to anyone

Edit: Rich beat me to it

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Lyrics in general are something I don't really get. As in people not liking songs because they lyrics aren't good enough or whatever.

Who gives a ****? I get that amazing lyrics might elevate a song even more.

But if it's a good song it's a good song. Different if it's a rap I suppose, but for a song like Wonderwall? Who cares?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Lyrics in general are something I don't really get. As in people not liking songs because they lyrics aren't good enough or whatever.

But if it's a good song it's a good song. Different if it's a rap I suppose, but for a song like Wonderwall? Who cares?

OK millennial ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I agree.

And on that note, it's Friiiiiday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If you like the song, then please take no offence. That's great. I feel like I've killed someone's puppy now. I mean, I do like plenty of songs with lyrics that aren't exactly being scrutinized by literary lecturers at Oxbridge. Here's a groaner. Great song. Embarrassing off-top-of-his-head lyrics: "Tout me, doubt me, give me all of your power." 🤢 But I do love the song, so see, we can all be friends now, see? 🤣

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Effective use of alliteration, too - walk/winding. I'm not a big Oasis fan, but that line was fine. 

Ok, now you're laughing at me. I can hear it across the Atlantic. 🙃

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Confused 1

Â