Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

I would say three-quarters of my clothes etc are presents or the wife bought for me. Function over form for me.

I'm not having it that you wear things irrespective of how they look - even if your primary concern is "function".

Also, she bought them.  You big fashion icon ;) 

38 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I would say three-quarters of my clothes etc are presents or the wife bought for me. Function over form for me.

I wouldn't let my wife buy my socks let's alone the rest of my stuff

Love clothes shopping, maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread instead, can't beat a big clothes buying session, I actually find it relieves more stress and makes me happier than a saturday afternoon drinking session, like spending some money in clobber makes working worthwhile

I'm getting old... As a side I'm getting closer to knocking drinking on the head, last 2 or 3 times I've done a proper job I've woke up feeling like I've poisoned myself and struggling to understand why I did it

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Love clothes shopping, maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread instead, can't beat a big clothes buying session, I actually find it relieves more stress and makes me happier than a saturday afternoon drinking session, like spending some money in clobber makes working worthwhile

Local hardware shop for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I wouldn't let my wife buy my socks let's alone the rest of my stuff

I'm getting old... As a side I'm getting closer to knocking drinking on the head, last 2 or 3 times I've done a proper job I've woke up feeling like I've poisoned myself and struggling to understand why I did it

I’m not a big fan of clothes shopping and I have a particular dislike of ‘brands’. I’ll just about wear someone’s logo on a pair of trainers or a polo shirt if I have to, but I’d prefer not to. That doesn’t mean I don’t like nice things, I just like them without a giant brand logo over them.

For that reason, I’ve found myself gravitating towards M&S, the home of the elderly. Decent enough chinos and shirts and polos and tees etc., but you can get them with absolutely no logo. So that’s what I’ve been doing these last few years.

But bloody hell, the number of men in there being shopped for and dressed by their wives, it’s bloody weird. Zombie legions being handed what to wear by their wives and they just stand slightly behind them like 60 year old school boys. The day I let my missus hand me clothes and tell me those will be what I’m wearing, just, y’know, bolt gun.

• Like 2

It’s perfectly possible to follow trends and fashion and not look like a copy of the next guy. 

I like nice clothes and trainers, I’ll happily pay extra for brands I like too. Maybe that makes me a sucker, but f*** it, I feel good about it.

I also have about five different baseball caps in rotation. And I’ll wear them back to front whenever I want. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

How many Stone Island patches do you own? 

I’ll admit it, I have one. 

Only set me back about £250 😳

50 minutes ago, El Zen said:

It’s perfectly possible to follow trends and fashion and not look like a copy of the next guy. 

I like nice clothes and trainers, I’ll happily pay extra for brands I like too. Maybe that makes me a sucker, but f*** it, I feel good about it.

I also have about five different baseball caps in rotation. And I’ll wear them back to front whenever I want. 

Is that to cover the ginger? 😉

I hate clothes shopping but where I seem to be different to my friends who tend to buy expensive stuff is that I have some new expensive stuff but I also love a good charity shop and find some real bargains in there.  I’m very particular about what I buy from charity shops but I got a lovely long business coat that is £175 in M&S for a £10 in a charity shop two months ago.  It looked in immaculate condition but I took it to the dry cleaners for a full scrub costing £20 and it now looks brand new.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I hate clothes shopping but where I seem to be different to my friends who tend to buy expensive stuff is that I have some new expensive stuff but I also love a good charity shop and find some real bargains in there.  I’m very particular about what I buy from charity shops but I got a lovely long business coat that is £175 in M&S for a £10 in a charity shop two months ago.  It looked in immaculate condition but I took it to the dry cleaners for a full scrub costing £20 and it now looks brand new.

I just can't bring myself to buy clothes from a charity shop. Charity shops are for books only. 

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My daughter volunteers in a charity shop, and has had some great finds. Generally the more upmarket the area the higher quality clobber that gets brought in.

Anyway, I love clothes and especially shoe shopping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes but importantly for me, I don't look identical to 3/4 of the people in the room when I wear them.

This is such a weird argument now.

So you DO follow fashion, just not the same fashion as some other people you hang out with?

psssssssst.... that's still fashion

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

This. It's a really weird strawman argument that everyone looks identical. They don't.

And fashion isn't some sort of taboo. Everyone follows it to a certain extent, one way or another. Not just with clothes.

So what if you're wearing something because it looks good and also is the latest trend? Why does that actually matter?

• Like 1

Occasionally a short video pops up on Facebook i think of two wannabe brummie gangstas walking through Flannels store picking up various pairs of shoes that are either "fire, fam" or "you wear dem and I swear down I'll give you a size 8 fist in ur face, cuz !" Same for the clothing too.

It goes on for about 5 minutes and it is embarrassing....unless you speak "jamaisan" dialect and can therefore understand it all.

The youth of today....🙄

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is such a weird argument now.

So you DO follow fashion, just not the same fashion as some other people you hang out with?

psssssssst.... that's still fashion

No that's not what I'm saying. And grown men in bars with baseball caps is still weird. 

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This. It's a really weird strawman argument that everyone looks identical. They don't.

And fashion isn't some sort of taboo. Everyone follows it to a certain extent, one way or another. Not just with clothes.

So what if you're wearing something because it looks good and also is the latest trend? Why does that actually matter?

That's not what a strawman argument means.

And in any case, if 3 out of 4 people sat in a bar in bowler hats, you'd think they were dressed very similar l. As they would be. And that's the same for baseball caps 

Â