Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

59 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

So you wear them because other people do? Because that's what doing something because it's fashionable would indicate. That's all fashion means.

No, primarily I wear them to stop my bald head from burning. 

I choose certain caps because they’re fashionable though. I could cover my head with a cardboard box or swimming cap. But I’d rather choose something that looks half decent. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

Fashion belongs to the youth and forgive me for assuming but I dont think any of us are youthful.

Baseball caps are practice though.

Also one for the annoying thread, people that say people like Grealish dress or look stupid for wearing what's in fashion for 20 somethings currently.

Of course it doesn't appeal to you. You're 47 Gary.

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Fashion polices itself tho and that's the irony. Fashion IS telling people what to wear. By definition. It's copying the next guy. 3 of the 4 were wearing the same hat you sat, yet none of them would have been in the 50s or 60s. 

I’m in my 50’s and I’m partial to a bucket hat. I don’t know if that’s fashionable at all or in my age bracket, and to be honest I couldn’t give a shit. I think we’ve broken it down in to far more groups and genres than ever before. Little sub groups of what’s fashionable depending on whether you want to stalk the royals, skateboard, or be a golf punk.

You can do what you want now, in your own bubble of a sub sect. Be a goth if that’s what you want, turn up at a gig in a mis matched suit and go to work in a tee shirt.

It’s a form of liberation we should celebrate rather than worrying what someone else thinks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No, primarily I wear them to stop my bald head from burning. 

I choose certain caps because they’re fashionable though. I could cover my head with a cardboard box or swimming cap. But I’d rather choose something that looks half decent. 

I do get the wearing hats in the sun part as I've said. But I don't get wearing them in bars, clubs, at night, back to front etc...

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

I do get the wearing hats in the sun part as I've said. But I don't get wearing them in bars, clubs, at night, back to front etc...

How many Stone Island patches do you own? 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s a form of liberation we should celebrate rather than worrying what someone else thinks. 

You've totally missed my point. Fashion IS about what everyone else thinks. I wear what I want that looks good on me, not what someone else wears or what they think looks good on them. When you see everyone wearing the same thing, that's not liberation.

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I wouldn’t personally wear them to a bar etc (unless I was on holiday I guess) 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

How many Stone Island patches do you own? 

Stone Island patches? Not sure what they are but I guess they are related to the chavvy English clothes brand?

In which case none. Why?

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

Stone Island patches? Not sure what they are but I guess they are related to the chavvy English clothes brand?

In which case none. Why?

You follow Villa home and away right?

You're not allowed to do that without a Stony!

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

You follow Villa home and away right?

You're not allowed to do that without a Stony!

You've lost me now mate I'll be honest. What do you mean? That all Villa fans who go regularly are chavs or hooligans? I've got not idea what you mean. 

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

You've totally missed my point. Fashion IS about what everyone else thinks. I wear what I want that looks good on me, not what someone else wears or what they think looks good on them. When you see everyone wearing the same thing, that's not liberation.

Who’s ‘everyone’?  Are you telling me middle aged golfers get to decide who and what is fashionable? Am I marked out of ten by steam punks?

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Who’s ‘everyone’?  Are you telling me middle aged golfers get to decide who and what is fashionable? Am I marked out of ten by steam punks?

I often see groups of people wearing the same thing, (and I dont mean a sports top as thats for a specific purpose) you even described 3 out of 4 people wearing the same kind of hat when there are hundreds of other possibilities. That's fashion. That's following others and the opposite of liberation in my view. 

But anyway, its going off topic so I'll leave it for the fashion thread. (If it exists?)

Edited by GlobalVillan

All this baseball cap/fashion stuff…the “You wear it well” thread is crying out for that sort of content.

Unfortunately though, and with a degree of irony, it’s not a particularly fashionable thread.

As a guy in his early 30s I think anything can be fashionable it just depends on who views it that way. I’m currently in Greece right now and in my resort there’s a lot of older guys wearing things that might be seen as silly by their peers. Personally I think if you feel you look good then so be it

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You make your own clothes pals?

I would say three-quarters of my clothes etc are presents or the wife bought for me. Function over form for me.

• Like 2

Â