Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

How is it different, if it's something you believe in? If I have a social or political conscience (and the two are not mutually exclusive), not to contributing to something I believe does harm to me and my society is a logical step to take. Unfortunately I'm not even anywhere near where I'd like to be yet. I still use the services of corporations I really don't like, and I'm still learning about companies I didn't even realise had links to things I'm ideologically opposed to. Personally I think I have a responsibility to spend my money as wisely as possible, so as not to contribute to the things I disagree with.   

What if, say, Gary Barlow was in the new Star Wars?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

No, definitely not.

Could you expand on what you are suggesting then? I don't find it persuasive to question whether consumer boycotts are appropriate in 2017 because of colonialism in previous centuries. If that isn't your point, could you detail it more? Because that seemed to be your point. 

2 hours ago, coda said:

What if, say, Gary Barlow was in the new Star Wars?

Great joke I saw on Twitter yesterday. Apparently Gary Barlow will be playing Darth's brother, Taxi

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could you expand on what you are suggesting then? I don't find it persuasive to question whether consumer boycotts are appropriate in 2017 because of colonialism in previous centuries. If that isn't your point, could you detail it more? Because that seemed to be your point. 

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The question is that when you consider the accumulated atrocities which have been done in our name in pursuit of economic advantage across the globe, on which were built the foundations of white privilege, should we feel quite so smugly virtuous for buying a bag of fair-trade bananas and refusing to buy Nestle coffee?

I was saying that there is a big contrast between how virtuous we feel when doing what we are told is the right thing, and the seriousness of the accusation implicit in the term 'white privilege'.

I feel virtuous for re-using carrier bags, while knowing that there is an agglomeration of plastic the size of Texas in the Pacific.

It was a joke about the irony and self-delusion of the human condition.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It was a joke about the irony and self-delusion of the human condition.

I didn't get the joke, and they say if you need to explain it ....:)

but anyway, I don't feel any guilt about "accumulated atrocities which have been done in our name in pursuit of economic advantage across the globe, on which were built the foundations of white privilege" and I don't feel any smugness or virtuousness (virtuosity?) from m' nana purchases or m'free range coffee shopping.

On the other hand I saw (from an aircraft) an agglomeration of plastic the size of something huge in the Pacific and I felt utterly appalled and despairing, hopeless basically.

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

not sure I can trust a man that doesn't eat from the After Eight mints passed around at dinner parties :) 

It's ok to eat them with a clear conscious. They are only waffer thin monsignor. 

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

its cool. 

Makes you look like a don, gets you the girls, makes you thinner, and gives you an air of mystery and intrigue.  

All absolutely true, though if you were going to be completely honest the weight loss is only temporary till the cancer steroids build you up again. 

• Like 1

I don't know about all this boycotting mega corporations. It feels too much like throwing pebbles at tanks to me. Unless they have really done something to offend me, but that's more a out personal slight than ideology. 

However I DO always feel good about myself when I spend money on small businesses and don't mind paying a bit more to support them most of the time instead of giving money to a large corporation. 

• Like 2

I would never ever ever enter a Wetherspoons pub unless people I was with want to go there.  This is however because their beer is almost universally shit and they have a depressing atmosphere most of the time. 

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

All absolutely true, though if you were going to be completely honest the weight loss is only temporary till the cancer steroids build you up again. 

Ah, but the cancer steroids building up your weight is also only temporary... then back to permanent weight loss with death from cancer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would never ever ever enter a Wetherspoons pub unless people I was with want to go there.  This is however because their beer is almost universally shit and they have a depressing atmosphere most of the time. 

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." 

I'm a bit of a defender of the Spoonys on here. They're clean, cheap, usually have a good selection of ales and the food is good for the price. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a bit of a defender of the Spoonys on here. They're clean, cheap, usually have a good selection of ales and the food is good for the price. 

Food is decent but I normally steer clear of the pints because from my experience they are shit. I usually do bottles of sol(3 for a fiver). As for the company in there I find it ok, especially early on and late afternoon/early evening. After a couple of hours though I need to move on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Agree all this...... But they're shit. 

Hate their comedy chief executive as well.  It's like they have rolled some drunk off the corner of their nearest bar onto the telly to pontificate on a load of nonsense. 

Spoons is a safe choice no matter where you are.Their ale selection isn't world beating or anything, but for a national chain, it's pretty impressive. You at least know you're not going to be stuck with mainstream lager if you go there. In Nottingham, there's a couple of dozen pubs I'd rather go to for a pint before Spoons, but if I'm  somewhere else, it's not a bad shout.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Agree all this...... But they're shit. 

Hate their comedy chief executive as well.  It's like they have rolled some drunk off the corner of their nearest bar onto the telly to pontificate on a load of nonsense. 

Its not an all night venue but always good for a warm up scoop

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

Their owner is one of the main reasons we're handing all power to the Tories to neolib us plebs into oblivion rather than have an EU protection shell.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

I didn't get the joke, and they say if you need to explain it ....:)

but anyway, I don't feel any guilt about "accumulated atrocities which have been done in our name in pursuit of economic advantage across the globe, on which were built the foundations of white privilege" and I don't feel any smugness or virtuousness (virtuosity?) from m' nana purchases or m'free range coffee shopping.

On the other hand I saw (from an aircraft) an agglomeration of plastic the size of something huge in the Pacific and I felt utterly appalled and despairing, hopeless basically.

At the risk of getting all poncy about it, Plato said that human well-being arises from virtuous thought and action.

I have noticed that doing the socially approved thing, even if you know it is futile, does seem to lead to a feelings of well-being.

I think the self-aware will have experienced that themselves.

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have noticed that doing the socially approved thing, even if you know it is futile, does seem to lead to a feelings of well-being.

I think the self-aware will have experienced that themselves.

As someone whose programmers have not yet upgraded me to self awareness, I'm not sure I can comment, but what about if I've been doing the socially approved thing since long before it was socially approved? At the risk of coming across as a complete rocket polisher, I've always re-used bags, bought free range fruit and cycled and recycled and used organic petrol and everything. Not to make me feel good, but as a way of life.

• Like 1

Â