Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

49 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Their owner is one of the main reasons we're handing all power to the Tories to neolib us plebs into oblivion rather than have an EU protection shell.

I knew he was a eurosceptic... but I can overlook that for a traditional brekkie and unlimited coffee for less than £4 ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

At the risk of getting all poncy about it, Plato said that human well-being arises from virtuous thought and action.

I have noticed that doing the socially approved thing, even if you know it is futile, does seem to lead to a feelings of well-being.

I think the self-aware will have experienced that themselves.

Wow, that's really poncy :D

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm a bit of a defender of the Spoonys on here. They're clean, cheap, usually have a good selection of ales and the food is good for the price. 

As a worker at Canary Wharf at the end of the 90's where pubs were charging £6 a pint the arrival of Wetherspoons with its nationwide price policy was an absolute Godsend and they had a no cap / hat policy which kept the hipsters out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm a bit of a defender of the Spoonys on here. They're clean, cheap, usually have a good selection of ales and the food is good for the price. 

I don't mind wetherspoons at all. Had dinner in the Bishop Vesey earlier as me and the enemy couldn't be arsed to cook after work. 2  8oz Sirloin Steaks both with jacket potato's and salad and scampi and a bottle of red wine £22. Can't argue with that to be be fair. 

• Like 1

I don't much like Wetherspoon's, and I certainly don't like the politics of the CEO, but one thing I will say for them is that if you go during the day time their bogs are always a million times cleaner than any other pub toilet and they nearly always have loo roll. 

If (when) I get caught short out in public, Spoons can always expect a visit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't much like Wetherspoon's, and I certainly don't like the politics of the CEO, but one thing I will say for them is that if you go during the day time their bogs are always a million times cleaner than any other pub toilet and they nearly always have loo roll. 

You are right. It is a pleasure to dump in spoonys. 

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

A few years ago the FA tried to give the league a slightly more high brow feel. So they awarded every club a philosopher, graded on the number of trophies won.

Turns out Man Utd had won Plato.

Arsenal had won Freud.

Villa won Socrates.

Turned out Birmingham City had won Focault.

A philosophy joke and no use of Kant? 

I am disappoint. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2017 at 02:58, HanoiVillan said:

That actually reminds me of a major discrepancy between Irish and British pubs.  From my experience, your toilets are almost always very very poorly maintained.  As in almost completely neglected, and bog roll is a complete luxury.  Even though the pubs themselves are fine, it's like the bog is this forgotten room out the back that nary an employee ever dare venture in to.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

That actually reminds me of a major discrepancy between Irish and British pubs.  From my experience, your toilets are almost always very very poorly maintained.  As in almost completely neglected, and bog roll is a complete luxury.  Even though the pubs themselves are fine, it's like the bog is this forgotten room out the back that nary an employee ever dare venture in to.

I'd actually say the complete opposite to be honest. 

But that may be due to me mainly going to pubs in the back end of nowhere in Ireland

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'd actually say the complete opposite to be honest. 

But that may be due to me mainly going to pubs in the back end of nowhere in Ireland

Even if you're going into backarse Irish pubs it doesn't change the reality of English pubs.  I've been in plenty of ostensibly fine looking English pubs and the toilets were a total disgrace.  I just assume now when I go over there never to trust the bogs in an 'emergency' :)

2 hours ago, BOF said:

You've clearly not been out in broad street on a sat night where you can't take a leak without some man offering you soap , aftershave and a lollipop 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BOF said:

i noticed the same, i think the reluctance to clean them and the lack of bog roll go hand in hand, a lot of them remove the seat as a deterrent too

and ive been caught short a couple of times...

The worst place I ever plopped was in the KFC bogs by the Tower of London.

I won't go into detail, suffice to say if I'd have shat on the floor and wiped my arse on the door handle it wouldn't have made much of a difference to the place.

#tourists #brokenbritain

• Like 1

Â