Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

21 hours ago, BOF said:

So you never venture further afield and test your mettle elsewhere then? Bawk bawk bok bok bok, chicken !

ah the chicken taunt  , takes me back .... When I used to play poker I had a small fluffy chicken I used to put on top of my chips when I made a large bet to goad the other players :)  better still I had a cat claw to take the chips out the middle with when I won  ( we played in a pub league for points rather than money , I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do it in Vegas :) )

facapaw.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably been mentioned before on here but I'll say it anyway . ......Halloween. I mean, what does it even celebrate/commemorate ??

I know Mexico has it's day of the dead, to remember those who have passed on but Halloween ? 

Purely commercial surely ? I am sick of all the Facebook pics of painted on skull faces and hollowed out pumpkins and I didn't even have my door knocked for trick or treat begging . 

Meh !!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Probably been mentioned before on here but I'll say it anyway . ......Halloween. I mean, what does it even celebrate/commemorate ??

I know Mexico has it's day of the dead, to remember those who have passed on but Halloween ? 

Purely commercial surely ? I am sick of all the Facebook pics of painted on skull faces and hollowed out pumpkins and I didn't even have my door knocked for trick or treat begging . 

Meh !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

I dont mind Halloween but this year I've been on nights, first night off tonight and I'm knackered so could do without the constant knocking on the door. I think it should be law to only knock on a door of a house that's had the effort of being decorated for Halloween. Some kids are nobs though, repeatedly bang on my door like that again and I'll chuck my cats gritty faecal filled cack box at you. Leave me alone to play Skyrim you little scrotes! Buggered off out to Tesco instead for a bit. 

Edited by Ingram85

Things I dont get.....

Ok, when you're driving sometimes and THAT car becomes noticed by you and it has some wife or girlfriend in the passenger seat... and 

1- the car that is playing music so loudly, that conversation is literally prevented and impossible 

2- the music is of shockingly awful type and quality anyway, yet is being broadcasted...

3- how these women stick with these bell ends , and im not talking 17 year old boy racers either.

18 hours ago, mottaloo said:

An original Jack O'Lantern c.1850. Exhibited at the Museum of Country Life in Mayo.

The History of the Jack O'Lantern.

According to Irish folklore, a man called Stingy Jack was sentenced to roam the earth for eternity by the devil. A ghostly figure of the night, Jack walks with a burning coal inside of a carved out turnip to light his way. Irish folklore began to refer to this spooky figure as 'Jack of the Lantern' which then became 'Jack O’Lantern.'

We all know that Halloween started with the Irish festival of Samhain or 'All Hallows Eve', which then became known as Halloween. This was a time of year when the veil between this world and the next was at its weakest and spirits roamed the world. This legend is why people in Ireland began to make their own versions of Jack’s lantern by carving grotesque faces into turnips, potatoes and beets, placing them by their homes to frighten away Stingy Jack and other wandering evil spirits and travelers.

Irish migrants in the 19th century brought this legend across the Atlantic where they discovered that Pumpkins were easier to carve than Turnips. So it’s to an Irish character called Stingy Jack that we owe the origins of the modern Jack O'Lanterns.

14925729_1146121492138504_35480091032533

We do love a bit of 'ooga booga' over here :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Thanks for the update but I doubt the average celebrator would have the faintest clue about any of that !

It's mainly for kids though, isn't it? Just a bit of fun. Does every occasion have to have some meaning deeply rooted in history and culture? What a dull world that would be.

I had a fun Halloween anyway. We all dressed up for work (well, most of us) and then after I went to a geeky bar in town that does awesome pizza with some friends before seeing The Shining screened at the artsy cinema down the road. Lovely time.

• Like 3

Yeah, I like Halloween, it's a good excuse to see friends, eat some food, watch some crappy tv, have a party and a few drinks.

I like carving the pumpkins although I haven't been well this year so I only did a little one.

That said, I had 6 or 7 trick or treaters and was more than happy to give them some sweets.  But I asked every one what their 'trick' was, and none of them had any!

Which is good, I suppose, but when I did it it was throw a handful of plastic spiders over whoever said trick, threaten them with hollowed out eggs.. ok, maybe normal eggs, only happened once though. 

Kids are even more wussy now then they've ever been.  At least they weren't walking down the streets, glued to their phones as per usual though :) 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Xann said:

Hanging out with people that you have no interest in and nothing in common with because there's a free bar.

Sounds like a few family weddings I've been to.

3 hours ago, V01 said:

That's why.

:D

But looking at it another way. There's a fecking great iceberg worth of shite, carefully hidden, in plain sight.

I've arranged it here, totally to scale.

foZkBm2.png   Black is the reason not to go. Grey is the reason to go. Red's fairly irrelevant.

If you squint, it's very clear that attending said function is a crap plan.

If you still can't see it?

Repeat the test - After consuming two bottles (6 litres) of Frosty Jack's from Iceland.

At £7 all in(!) the cider will cost less than the 20 Lambert & Butler, which are optional, but recommended.

• Like 1

Watched a bloke neck four pints of John Smiths by 10am in the pub this morning. How?

I was having a coffee waiting for the supermarket to open nearby before anyone asks! :P

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Watched a bloke neck four pints of John Smiths by 10am in the pub this morning. How?

I was having a coffee waiting for the supermarket to open nearby before anyone asks! :P

Maybe he'd just finished work. By the sounds of your surprise, he's more likely a pisshead, but it's known for pubs to be open early in the morning for night shift workers.

Â