Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

20 hours ago, Xela said:

Watched a bloke neck four pints of John Smiths by 10am in the pub this morning. How?

I know, it's appalling. John Smiths is pish.  The bloke clearly is a wrong 'un.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Maybe he'd just finished work. By the sounds of your surprise, he's more likely a pisshead, but it's known for pubs to be open early in the morning for night shift workers.

Nah, he's an old pishhead. I wonder if the pub has a moral obligation to refuse to serve people like that, as they are clearly killing themselves, but I guess he could just drink at home instead. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I know, it's appalling. John Smiths is pish.  The bloke clearly is a wrong 'un.

I bet he has gravy on his battered cod as well. 

• Like 4

the grammys 

i even tried reading up what the difference between record of the year and song of the year was, still doesnt really make sense to me, seems like a pointless exercise in covering every bit of ground imaginable and giving out awards to all and sundry

i could say music awards in general tbf the latest Q awards were shocking

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 12:19, villa4europe said:

the grammys 

i even tried reading up what the difference between record of the year and song of the year was, still doesnt really make sense to me, seems like a pointless exercise in covering every bit of ground imaginable and giving out awards to all and sundry

It's a fairly simple, and worthy distinction, IMO.

Song of the year is awarded to the songwriter, it is, as the name suggests, for the actual words and melodies. You could have an excellent song which could theoretically win this, despite a mediocre performance by the singer/band.

Record of the year goes to the team of people who actually recorded a version of a song, so it's awarded to the artists that sang/played the music, sound engineers and so on. A record of the year could easily be a cover of a song written years ago, for example.

• 1 month later...

Why, if you are really rich, would you continue to work? I was chatting with my mate yesterday about this and I'm retiring as soon as I have enough to live comfortably on. 

If I was mega rich, say like Mike Ashley, I'd be on holiday every month and seeing the world and all the things I'd like to see or do with my life. I wouldn't be grafting away.

Madness. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why, if you are really rich, would you continue to work? I was chatting with my mate yesterday about this and I'm retiring as soon as I have enough to live comfortably on. 

If I was mega rich, say like Mike Ashley, I'd be on holiday every month and seeing the world and all the things I'd like to see or do with my life. I wouldn't be grafting away.

Madness. 

I agree. But I suspect that (lottery winners aside) most rich people are workaholics to begin with. Yes, they like the big bank balance, big house, big car, trophy wife, etc., it all feeds their ego. But they are not motivated by the desire for leisure time, and they probably lack the imagination to do anything other than work. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I agree. But I suspect that (lottery winners aside) most rich people are workaholics to begin with. Yes, they like the big bank balance, big house, big car, trophy wife, etc., it all feeds their ego. But they are not motivated by the desire for leisure time, and they probably lack the imagination to do anything other than work. 

Good point. Work will be their life and will probably have little interest in anything else.

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep this.

I've been lucky (in some ways, definitely not in others!) that my new job has me working pretty closely with directors, senior directors and Vice-Presidents (american company!), so the people earning big money at the company, and they're nearly all the same.

They're absolute workaholics. They work all the time. Even when they're not in the office they're emailing or phoning people. It literally, and I do mean literally, never stops for them. I guarantee it's the first thing they think of in the morning and the last thing they think of at night.

Of course not all rich people are like that, but I imagine as you say that a lot of them are. They could be working for a million quid a year or 10 grand a year and they'd probably be the same.

I always used to think that I'd work my way up to be a director of a company. But the last 6 months has seriously made me question that. Even if I was good enough to do it, I'm not sure I could ever handle the kind of pressure and work ethic that those guys endure. 

It was mention in a ted talk (by jon ronson) that 1/100 fit the criteria for psychopathy, but for CEOs and business leaders it rises to 4/100. I would guess there's a similar difference in people that fit the narcissistic personality as well. They are attracted to those position and have a drive that far surpass other people and is rewarded in the corporate world. They have a strong self belief, are manipulative, persistent, determined and often appear charming.

Â