Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

14 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Thread; Things you don't get.

The Kardashians, their relevance to the news, their fame, that people here aspire to them, follow them on social media. I don't get it.

I do get, that theyre a narcissistic fame hungry bunch who thrive on the spotlight, PR manipulation and have forged a very profitable "career" out of it. But as above, what the jesus f--- has this got to do with anybodys lives over here, or in the states. They're like royalty to some. Will they ever fade away, become irrelevant... I don't think so. When you hear "normal" people at work talking about them, see a bus go past with a poster for their show or something they're plugging... just wonder what is the agenda here?

This post could be 6 screens long. You are lucky I am tired and don't want to punch the laptop typing this.

I hate them as much as you, but think about it. In a world where a certain type of person wants everything for nothing, what's not to get? They're idolised precisely because they're rich for doing nothing. They're the epitome of what many want to be. It's sad but there you go. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Because of you, dozens of people will now see your post and think of the Kardashians. 

You're part of the problem.

dammit agreed, I am now an indirect product of the puppeteers pushing their fame. Quick, correction necessary. If you're thinking of them, make sure you are thinking that they are the C word please. Thanks. And then a subject change, anything quick, ummmm what I don't get is... ummmm sht im struggling ummmmm what I don't get is, why in morrisons earlier , in the reduced section (that for some reason makes sense to them to put opposite the Halloween shite) why theres a sh--load of volvic multipacks all reduced due to sell by dates. didn't whatever spring it came from take millions years of filtering and all of a sudden morrisons are having to flog it off on the cheap because 'its going off'. yeah thatll do. sorry people for the thing we wont mention

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

I hate them as much as you, but think about it. In a world where a certain type of person wants everything for nothing, what's not to get? They're idolised precisely because they're rich for doing nothing. They're the epitome of what many want to be. It's sad but there you go. 

Very true. Used to be WAGS or bedding footballers, but now its all about the social media manipulation and wanting to be a youtube star or film yourself boning and try to get famous off it. Never to be mentioned again.

4 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

dammit agreed, I am now an indirect product of the puppeteers pushing their fame. Quick, correction necessary. If you're thinking of them, make sure you are thinking that they are the C word please. Thanks. And then a subject change, anything quick, ummmm what I don't get is... ummmm sht im struggling ummmmm what I don't get is, why in morrisons earlier , in the reduced section (that for some reason makes sense to them to put opposite the Halloween shite) why theres a sh--load of volvic multipacks all reduced due to sell by dates. didn't whatever spring it came from take millions years of filtering and all of a sudden morrisons are having to flog it off on the cheap because 'its going off'. yeah thatll do. sorry people for the thing we wont mention

That'll be because of the plastic leeching into the water, after a certain amount of time it's gonna be too much.

• Like 1

guess that makes sense. must have been some proper old stock. I'll keep an eye on them shady gits, I only check the date on fruit and veg and yoghurts etc.

hang on theres another point I don't get. say if I bought some pre packed salad or something, say its 18th oct today and it says 26th oct bet before on the packet yet in two days it will look like a cat has shat into it and all manky. tis a con I tells ya. even with proper fridge storage

florette, my arse.

You know how much I know about the Kardashians? I've heard the name. That's it. I believe there is one called Kim (male or female, dunno). Don't know what they do, where they come from, what they look like. 

It's really easy to avoid trash culture if you want to. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

You know how much I know about the Kardashians? I've heard the name. That's it. I believe there is one called Kim (male or female, dunno). Don't know what they do, where they come from, what they look like. 

You just don't like them because it's popular!!!

:trollface:

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think Kim Kardashian is Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management for the United Nations, and she's married to Ban Ki-moon.

For a little while I thought KK and Scherzinger(?) were the same person.

Her Ladyship put me right on that one.

That KK wasn't even a Pussycat Doll came as a great disappointment.

So I asked, if she wasn't a pop star, where did the money come from?

Was told the father is a big shot divorce lawyer. So it appears there's a genetic disposition to being a waste of space.

Also wonder if a Star Trek writer had come into contact with Mr K at some point?

Is it just a coincidence that they share the name, if not spelling, as the cold and cruel lizard people from the 90s series?

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It is I suppose.  I mean, I'll hear about stuff in passing.  I'll come across stuff over the course of browsing the internet.  You can't really fail to.  The fact I know who Kim Kardashian is doesn't mean I've researched her.  I literally couldn't give less of a shit about her.  She's just part of the flotsum that accumulates.  Although I'm slightly surprised that you, as an enthusiastic quizzer, would avoid a subject that probably comes up quite a lot in pub quizzes i.e. pop culture in general.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BOF said:

It is I suppose.  I mean, I'll hear about stuff in passing.  I'll come across stuff over the course of browsing the internet.  You can't really fail to.  The fact I know who Kim Kardashian is doesn't mean I've researched her.  I literally couldn't give less of a shit about her.  She's just part of the flotsum that accumulates.  Although I'm slightly surprised that you, as an enthusiastic quizzer, would avoid a subject that probably comes up quite a lot in pub quizzes i.e. pop culture in general.

The pub quiz in our local resolutely excludes pop culture. So much so that we all smile when unsuspecting non-regulars drop in and take part. Usually takes about four questions before their faces start to drop. After ten, they've usually thrown their pens down in disgust. Typical comment: "This isn't a quiz, it's a **** ing exam..." 

The quizmaster will very occasionally throw in a pop culture question, just to hear the howls of protests from the regulars. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

The pub quiz in our local resolutely excludes pop culture. So much so that we all smile when unsuspecting non-regulars drop in and take part. Usually takes about four questions before their faces start to drop. After ten, they've usually thrown their pens down in disgust. Typical comment: "This isn't a quiz, it's a **** ing exam..." 

The quizmaster will very occasionally throw in a pop culture question, just to hear the howls of protests from the regulars. 

So you never venture further afield and test your mettle elsewhere then? Bawk bawk bok bok bok, chicken !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

So you never venture further afield and test your mettle elsewhere then? Bawk bawk bok bok bok, chicken !

This is the fourth or fifth quiz pub we've been regulars at. We've settled at this one because we like it, nobody cheats on the quiz (which is unusual, sadly), the beer's good, and it's near home. We do occasionally talk about trying another, but there aren't many as good that are on a convenient night for all our team. 

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 07:01, mjmooney said:

I'd have put myself in the same category until I watched the OJ series on BBC ...as a result I now also know that they had a dad who was a lawyer  

Edited by tonyh29

Â