Paul Lambert

limpid

He has until xmas for me.

We've a run of games coming where we should expect points.

Should we fail to get them, I fully expect Lambert to leave.

Yep, I think this is fair.

By which time a new manager is going to face an uphill struggle to salvage anything from the wreckage that that simpleton will leave behind.

• Like 2

Should we fail to get them, I fully expect Lambert to still be here- just in time to get knocked out to a lower league club in the FA cup again. At home.

I'd just like to point out that when someone given an either or scenario, its completely daft to pick on the either as the posters opinion whilst ignoring the or situation that he also states.

It is also pretty daft saying that a poster has no idea of our financial situation when albeit a year behind, its a matter of public record.

So its correct. A year behind does not show our current financial situation.

I'd just like to point out that when someone given an either or scenario, its completely daft to pick on the either as the posters opinion whilst ignoring the or situation that he also states.

Not when the poster has continously repeated the same thing since the QPR defeat, most of the time not within an 'either or' question.

Not when the poster has continously repeated the same thing since the QPR defeat, most of the time not within an 'either or' question.

The reason I've asked the same question since the QPR game is because only Jonah gave it the credence to answer it. And I thanked him for it.

Other posters referenced the question in their normal schtick not to actually suggest a way forward, but carry on repeating the same thing, which is what (oddly, and without irony) you're accusing me of.

After my back and forth with Jonah, I understood him much better. I also continually stated that if there was an alternative to lambert, which was sensible and realistic, I'd love him to not be manager.

But you do your thing, quote a section of this and then continue to argue/discuss whatever it is you normally do.

You contribute very little currently, imo. If you thought about what you actually say, and give reason to why you're saying it, you might help others understand what you think, rather than giving you little to no respect/thought.

• Like 1

I don't think its the money keeping Lambo in a job - I really don't think Lerner wants the hassle of finding another manager.  - I think if TF said I got Pullis\Moyes ready on a plate, Randy well may go for it - But we know so little about Fox as to whether he is that type of guy.....

• Like 2

I don't think its the money keeping Lambo in a job - I really don't think Lerner wants the hassle of finding another manager. - I think if TF said I got Pullis\Moyes ready on a plate, Randy well may go for it - But we know so little about Fox as to whether he is that type of guy.....

Now that's an answer :)

Thanks man.

I think the same to be honest.

However, I do think the pay-off is somewhat giving Lambert more time than perhaps he'd be afforded if he were in the last year of his contract.

You contribute very little currently, imo. If you thought about what you actually say, and give reason to why you're saying it, you might help others understand what you think, rather than giving you little to no respect/thought.

Excellent.

I believe if Randy thought he'd be here for any length of time he'd go all out for Moyes infact I think he'd have already made his move in the summer. As it stands I don't think he'll get rid of Lambert unless we're in the relegation zone and looking in serious danger of being cut off from safety, which is something I don't think will happen.

mooted on Talk sport, that there is a clause of some sort in the 4 year contact that would limit the liability to 1 year compensation.....not sure how true that is?

Edited by TRO

It is also pretty daft saying that a poster has no idea of our financial situation when albeit a year behind, its a matter of public record.

Yes our accounts are a matter of public record, but our spending power isn't just based on the figures in the accounts, or we'd have gone bust long ago.

mooted on Talk sport, that there is a clause of some sort in the 4 year contact that would limit the liability to 1 year compensation.....not sure how true that is?

It's been claimed by a couple of people on Twitter also including Howard Hodgson. Not sure if it is correct but it would make the decision to award him the new contract appear slightly more rational.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

I appear to be in the minority here but I can't be the only one getting a sense of déjà vu. Every few years we have the same topic 'sack the manager' along with a few names banded around who should replace him. It's happening now and unless there is some major investment in the playing squad, it'll be the same in a few more years. Tony Pulis?! Seriously?!

Now, I can't and wont defend Paul Lamberts record, particularly our home record, but the level of investment in our playing squad over the past few years has to rank somewhere amongst the low/mid table teams. Amazingly enough, that's where we're positioned.

We've had a shocking run of games, but the first half against Spurs (and start of the season) was actually pretty good. I'll go as far as to say if Benteke hadn't been sent off, we would have won. Now we're without our best two players (Delph and Benteke) for another month or so. That's not Lamberts fault but it could cost him his job.

I'm just getting tired of the same old revolving managerial door, not just a Villa but at all clubs. One average manager moves out only to be replaced by another manager. I personally feel we just need to back a manager and stick with him. The likelyhood of Pulis improving us is slim with the current financial limitations so let's all show some rare loyalty and back a man in desperate need of some backing.

We just need investment. That's the only thing that will improve this club. Not *insert average manager name here*. Now who's with me...?

• Like 2

So its correct. A year behind does not show our current financial situation.

And what have you seen that makes you think its dramatically different from say the last five years?

See if you're going to argue a point, its pretty much arguing 101 that you have at least a semblance of a fact to back it up with or really its merely posturing.

It really does lead to a spectacularly dull debate otherwise

And for the record I have no opinion either way on the point being debated here, I just detest the absolutely diabolical standard of the debate

• Like 3

I'd say comparing performance with other teams is pretty relevant Jonah, isn't that why we have a league table?! :P

If you are judging the overall performance of the manager, then surely comparing him to his peers would be part of that? It is only fair to consider his working conditions and then compare them to those of other managers when making an assessment overall.

You compare all teams of course.

But you've specifically picked big teams under performing at the moment. I'm not sure what that shows. We all know everton, united and spurs are capable of better. I don't see how them not performing well is relevant to judging Lambert on over 2 years of poor football. 2 of those managers have only been in the job 10 games.

I think it's relevant when looking at his performance so far this season. I agree on the standard of football and the lack of progress in that sense, it's the reason I am not adverse to him going. 

But judging him on results alone and looking at the league table, he's doing an average job so far this season. Not good, not awful, but average. Awful would be Barnsley, good would be West Ham and average is where we are. Given the resources at his disposal, the injuries and the fixtures then I wouldn't expect much more in that regard. The teams I mentioned have spent vastly more on improving their sides this season and had better teams to begin with. For us to be only 3/4 points behind them after 10 games isn't that bad. 

For me it's just about being fair to the man and looking at the overall picture. His performance as our manger has been below par, but he's not the absolute basket case he is being made out to be. 

• Like 1

It's been claimed by a couple of people on Twitter also including Howard Hodgson. Not sure if it is correct but it would make the decision to award him the new contract appear slightly more rational.

Mcleish had something similar I think, It was something like if he failed to get to 40 points then should we sack him then we'd only be liable to pay out a years compensation.

Edited by useless

I appear to be in the minority here but I can't be the only one getting a sense of déjà vu. Every few years we have the same topic 'sack the manager' along with a few names banded around who should replace him. It's happening now and unless there is some major investment in the playing squad, it'll be the same in a few more years. Tony Pulis?! Seriously?!

Now, I can't and wont defend Paul Lamberts record, particularly our home record, but the level of investment in our playing squad over the past few years has to rank somewhere amongst the low/mid table teams. Amazingly enough, that's where we're positioned.

We've had a shocking run of games, but the first half against Spurs (and start of the season) was actually pretty good. I'll go as far as to say if Benteke hadn't been sent off, we would have won. Now we're without our best two players (Delph and Benteke) for another month or so. That's not Lamberts fault but it could cost him his job.

I'm just getting tired of the same old revolving managerial door, not just a Villa but at all clubs. One average manager moves out only to be replaced by another manager. I personally feel we just need to back a manager and stick with him. The likelyhood of Pulis improving us is slim with the current financial limitations so let's all show some rare loyalty and back a man in desperate need of some backing.

We just need investment. That's the only thing that will improve this club. Not *insert average manager name here*. Now who's with me...?

Not me.  Lambert has been appalling, and investment won't make him any less clueless.

• Like 3

If the eventual decision is to sack him this season it will be interesting to see the timing....Interesting to see if a new manager is given a fighting chance to keep us up.

I am not sure what we are expecting that is going to turn this around in time.

Yep, I think this is fair.

By which time a new manager is going to face an uphill struggle to salvage anything from the wreckage that that simpleton will leave behind.
....so suggest a better alternative.

Â