Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm not sure why we always say.....another game....if we lose the next game, we have been up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

we have a decent start....have a tough run and then go from Dr Jekyl to Mr Hyde in the space of a few weeks.....our team confidence must be so brittle its beyond belief.

Despite the mitigating circumstances of the opposition the alarming rate we drain confidence is enough to doubt the man alone.

We should have seen enough by now....enough to know that these peaks and troughs will just continue until the inevitable finally arrives...we part company.

as sure as eggs are eggs this is not progress and further more its not going anywhere... we are just going from week to week and month to month and season to season....with the same old excuses being rolled out with the conviction of a condemned man, he looks lost in interviews, he doesn't seem to have the courage of his own convictions.

we have simply seen it now too many times

Its now a case of when it fits the book that he goes.

I have defended Randy Lerner is some instances, but when he gave him a 4 year contact he must have been drunk, or just plainly naive.

• Like 2

The one hope that I'm clinging onto is that Senderos returning next week (fingers crossed) will shore up the defence. Liverpool aside our defending has been abject when either him or Vlaar have been absent from the team. It's annoying really because we've gone from being dependent on Vlaar to now being dependent on both Vlaar and Senderos.

Senderos was supposed to be back tonight so hopefully he hasn't had a setback and just wasn't ready.

Him and Hutton need to be back for Spurs.

I honestly don't share the view that we could change it, by bringing new faces on.

I think what was wrong, was not easy to change in a game, new faces would not change it.....it was more deep rooted than that.

This is a Bodymoor Heath type problem/ method/ plan/confidence.

• Like 1

There's a quote in a Rise Against song from a movie I dont know that mocks this point.

"What you don't understand is that it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" "But you have it backwards? It's better to live on your feet than to die on your knees"

Completely off topic but I thought I'd throw that in. I don't see how the quote relates to a manager of a football club anyway but I like it.

I believe that's from the film Catch-22.

The club is not going to improve until a buyer comes forward. Lerner won't sack Lambert, even he isn't stupid enough to sack him a month after he gives him a new contract. Can you imagine the payoff required? I mean he can't even cough up 30k+ a week in wages, let alone payoff a four year deal. We are stuck with Lambert until Lerner sells, meaning the club will inevitably hover above the relegation zone and sometimes drop into it.

We are Aston Villa, one of the biggest football clubs in the country and we are stuck with this mediocrity. And it is **** depressing.

for those crowing about our early form like we were Real Madrid for a few games:

We had a good unexpected result against Stoke, were Senderos and Vlaar looked immense. We didn't expect to win, we didn't create a lot of chances either.

The draw against Newcastle was good also because we have been beaten by them so often in recent seasons, we never looked like winning that game though.

We did our usual bullsh*t in the cup vs Orient so no change there.

We played very well against a poor Hull side, possibly the only game we had a tiny bit of composure going fwd.

The Liverpool game we came steaming out of the blocks like a freight train, scored and then sat back and weathered the storm. But in context Liverpool have been awful this season, without Suarez and Sturridge they have been dire.

Every other game we have played since we have have not showed one glimmer of anything worth building on or being positive about, we have not threatened anyone, we have not been solid defensively or good in possession. No two players has showed any form at all, we've had a few sporadic cameos up and down the pitch but as a team we've been consistently poor.

if you re-read the last para you can apply that to 75% of Lambert's reign.

Every-time we have built up a head of steam and showed potential that momentum has vanished.

Weimann and Gabby haven't been consistently good for years now, they've both scored important goals but as strikers we need them to score week in week out and they don't.

Tekkers has been awesome for a total of half a season his talent isn't in question, just his luck and injuries and recovering form has ultimately cushioned his impact on the club. We can't wait another ten games for him to single handedly save us. 

as depressing as it reads a very accurate round up....I'm not sure what we are all waiting for.....divine intervention I suspect.

Edited by TRO

The season changed Half time at Anfield. We had destroyed them - we could have been 0-3 up.....bring on the second half I thought.....then we just sat back and contained them...we didn't try to play...seems at half time the fear of loosing kicked in...ok it got us the points that day...but we've remained in fear mode ever since...

Our approach in that game was absolutely correct. We contained them pretty easily in all honesty.

Unfortunately it's many of the games since then where we've not had the right approach.

in boxing terms..... you can throw all the punches, but if the punches are of poor quality and not hurting him, he will eventually knock your lights out.

"In terms of the general game, I couldn't fault that. I think that's the most we've had the ball possession wise but that's why I'm not really one for stats.

"The main stat is putting the ball in the net and keeping it out.

"I thought we defended poorly for the two goals and I think we've got to be more clinical in the last third of the pitch.

"The two goals were disappointing because we had most of the ball.

"Coming here I always knew it was going to be a tough game and I was pretty pleased with the way we had the ball and what we were doing with it.

"But we had to be more clinical in the final third of the pitch.

"I thought the two goals we lost were shocking especially when we were on top.

"I set the team out to go and attack and try and win the game. We had a lot of the ball and looked comfortable with it.

"To lose those goals, that's the thing that's probably given me the most disappointment."

Lamberts comment... Listing a load of players and saying with those players you'll score.... They still need **** coaching to a system, it very rarely just happens. Then again saying that, it looks more and more likely that's what happened the tail end of his first season.

Edited by mikeyp102

People talk about pulis football being shite. It's a damn sight better than the turd I've seen this season.

Couldn't agree more. 

It would be the best choice at this point. People are talking about a foreign manager, but we don't have months to wait while someone gets acclimatised. Pulis could come in and save us now. I think people need to start being realistic about how likely relegation is this season. As was noted above, we're on course for 17 goals all season.  

Edited by HanoiVillan

Thought Lambert showed in his interview tonight that he has no clue what is wrong at Villa, and hence no idea how to put it right. Just hoping for the best will get us so far if we are lucky but he needs a proper strategy for the way we play.

• Like 1

"I think that is the most we have had of the ball, possession-wise, but that is why I'm never one for stats. The main stat is putting the ball in the net and keeping it out," Lambert told Sky Sports News.

"I thought we defended poorly for the two goals. We have got to be more clinical in the last third of the pitch but the two goals are disappointing because we had most of the ball."

So how does he propose we become more clinical or defend better? Who else is there left in the squad to make any kind of a difference apart from Grealish who is a huge talent but incredibly light weight and not even making the match day squad. Okore? Who despite being being fit enough to play for Denmark isn't considered so for Villa.

When was the last time we beat a Spurs who were on form or off form? They could field their over 60s team and beat us right now.

Edited by VillanousOne

I think I'd sum my feelings up on this matter by saying 'I don't care'.

Stay/Go, whatever. There'll be no mighty change in our form if we get a great manager or a crap one. The players aren't good enough, the investment isn't high enough, football in Britain is broken and I'm nearly at the point of accepting this is Aston Villa now - partially our own (Lerner's) fault and partially because of the modern game/ financial 'fairplay/ status quo maintainer'. We're going to be a mediocre club who may occasionally have an average season and then have all our better players sold (Vlaar/ Delph signed yet?!) or have an awful one and be relegated.

I just couldnt care less if Lambert stays or goes now as i think any change in fortunes will be both miniscule and short-lived. 

Totally agree with this.

I think I'd sum my feelings up on this matter by saying 'I don't care'.

Stay/Go, whatever. There'll be no mighty change in our form if we get a great manager or a crap one. The players aren't good enough, the investment isn't high enough, football in Britain is broken and I'm nearly at the point of accepting this is Aston Villa now - partially our own (Lerner's) fault and partially because of the modern game/ financial 'fairplay/ status quo maintainer'. We're going to be a mediocre club who may occasionally have an average season and then have all our better players sold (Vlaar/ Delph signed yet?!) or have an awful one and be relegated.

I just couldnt care less if Lambert stays or goes now as i think any change in fortunes will be both miniscule and short-lived. 

This is completely on the money.

For what it's worth, I want Lambert out, but he's not going because he just signed a new contract. But then part of me says I would want anyone out who was in right now because realistically who'd be doing any better? We're such a nothing club now.

Thought Lambert showed in his interview tonight that he has no clue what is wrong at Villa, and hence no idea how to put it right. Just hoping for the best will get us so far if we are lucky but he needs a proper strategy for the way we play.

I have heard him asked, many (far too many) times... "How do you put this right".... And he has only ever said " you have to".

For a long time I thought this was mere evasiveness, cards close to chest and all that.

I'm afraid I am now sure that that actually is it. That is the plan. The whole plan.

That would explain the lack of changes.

Actually reminiscent of Sven. We all thought behind the bland comments was a genius. But there was just a bland (albeit successful!) interior.

Â