Paul Lambert

limpid

Voted no.

Not because I think Lambert is good - I've been calling him out for his awful football for a year at least, these performances weren't taking the club forward even if he could get the odd result here or there. 

Not because I expect him to suddenly blossom and become good, after 3 years one thing is clear - the only plan is to go out there and hopefully get a result. And sometimes, just about enough times, it worked, through luck or whatever.

Not because I don't believe there are better managers who'd come to Villa. Hell Lambert is on par with McLeish and more people are starting to notice this. 

Voted no because I have this hope that the club is finally being run better. Not well perhaps, but better than atrociosly. This would imply that if you're giving your manager the reins to build his own squad, on whatever budget there is, and then reward him with a hefty extension, then the club management should have the sort of trust and business logic not to overreact to a few bad results and bad play. It's unlikely they gave him that extension because they thought we'd start playing beautiful successful football, it's because they must believe he can get enough results with the squad he has created to achieve the one goal there is - staying up somehow.

I would find it as an even worse sign if the club's higher management would react so frivolously to sack a manager they have invested so much on just a few weeks after extending him. Even if this might look like the correct decision right now, it's more about what it'd say for the way the club is being run in the long term. Just like when every time you win a game 1-0 with 1 shot on target and 30% possession is great for the time being but poor indicator for future success, overreacting and sacking Lambert right now would be a poor indicator for the manner in which the club is being run. 

• Like 1

Lambert must go and the sooner Lerner goes as well the better. Bungling incompetence of the highest order.

Correct although sadly I can't see see any hope of either departing soon - the club will remain running adrift on the rocks until Lerner finds a buyer and then Lambert will undoubtedly be gone under new ownership.

Sadly while this farce continues the chance of finding a buyer looks even slimmer .

After two whole seasons we should be really seeing some kind of coherant footballing style regardless of any constraints he has had to work on. Sadly it looks like he isn't up to the job of managing in the Premier League, and it looks like another very bad decision by Lerner to award Lambert a new contract when he did instead of waiting until Christmas time. I think we have had it as a Premier League team this season if Lambert stays in charge. There is no confidence in the players, no playing style instilled, and virtually no goal threat in the team at all. The run of tough fixtures has masked this a little and given him the excuse of being up against tough teams, when in reality we are equally lacking in creativity against the so called lesser teams.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but his tactics were awful. Cleverly on the left in a 4411 formation. Gabby in the number 10 role. Then his subs were awful. We had 4 strikers holding hands and no width. Throughout his time here he hasn't played with genuine width. We don't have the players to play through the middle.

• Like 1

I don't see what was really wrong with how we were set up yesterday - I think the players were more to blame than Lambert.

so can you ignore the rubbish of the past two and a half years? Are you still confident in lamberts ability to improve things? Genuine question because the point seems that you are making is that again we cannot look at lambert and again it's another deflection excuse

What makes you think he's excusing the past two and half years? He clearly said there wasn't really much wrong with how we were set up yesterday. In fact, we played the way people were clamoring for us to play during the last 4 games. We had 65% possession, got into good crossing areas, and had half as many shots on target as we did the previous 7 games. The players (especially the wide players) were very wasteful and our forwards are all very much out of form. Whether or not Lambert can rectify that is debatable at best, but that's a different issue. 

I've always stuck behind Lambert on the whole - I did however feel there was definitely a time last season where he had to go and feel exactly the same way again now, it's hard to feel a sense of perspective after a defeat like that.

Trying to turn it on it's head I thought to myself, what if we'd lost to Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Everton in the first four games, then beaten Stoke, Hull and Liverpool, drew w/ Newcastle and now just lost at QPR - would I feel the same? Perhaps not, however I don't see any immediate upturn in form or results and it has been so typical of Lambert's reign to have a set of positive results and then end up completely back at square one - I think there's only so much the fanbase can take. In addition, I felt we had more than enough to beat QPR last night and Lambert simply couldn't get that performance out of the team.

Sad to say, but Moyes or Pulis for me. I'd take awful percentage football with goals and resolute defending over awful football full stop.

I don't see what was really wrong with how we were set up yesterday - I think the players were more to blame than Lambert.

so can you ignore the rubbish of the past two and a half years? Are you still confident in lamberts ability to improve things? Genuine question because the point seems that you are making is that again we cannot look at lambert and again it's another deflection excuse

What makes you think he's excusing the past two and half years? He clearly said there wasn't really much wrong with how we were set up yesterday. In fact, we played the way people were clamoring for us to play during the last 4 games. We had 65% possession, got into good crossing areas, and had half as many shots on target as we did the previous 7 games. The players (especially the wide players) were very wasteful and our forwards are all very much out of form. Whether or not Lambert can rectify that is debatable at best, but that's a different issue. 

interesting you mention the last bit, because that is exactly the issue that was being discussed!

The key thing is the last bit of Lex's statement though there because (again) it seemingly admonishes Lambert of blame. Now it could be that was not meant by the post but it certainly seems that way and one of the common factors of the people who have steadfastly supported Lambert on here is the ability to throw in some sort of excuse for the woeful performances of the past few years and none of those have been Lambert.

As you have answered the point raised what are your views (as someone I would say is more pro-Lambert than others?) on Lambert's ability to improve things, are you still confident in his abilities  and are we on the right course for an improvement?

Edited by drat01

Enough is enough, he needs to go now. He should have gone after our end to last season. I have never seen such a toothless team play for us. It would be interesting to see exactly how many goals we have scored since we beat Chelseas at VP last season. Just looked and I think it is eleven goals in about 19 League and Cup games since we beat Chelsea 1-0. That is disgraceful!

it's one thing to imagine Randy would sack off a mate he's just given a long contract to

it's quite another to imagine he could then summon up all his nous and business acumen to actually employ somebody better

that was a gutless performance the worst ive seen given the opposition, no subs until 2 down and grealish or Zog should have been involved, also Cole should have came on earlier and I dont know what he sees in Agbonlahor

though on a positive note we won teh possession as some fans wanted us to do ;)

People were clamoring for us to not look threatening and not able to defensively cope with the worst team in the league?

We had more of the ball, but what did we do with it? Our players are clearly not benefiting from anything Lambert does on the training ground.

Yep, gotta go. Get pulis in. Christ I'd even take moyes! We've gradually become one of the worst football teams I've ever witnessed.

you would take Pulis over Moyes as if he was a better manager

that was a gutless performance the worst ive seen given the opposition, no subs until 2 down and grealish or Zog should have been involved, also Cole should have came on earlier and I dont know what he sees in Agbonlahor

I know you did the wink thing but I've seen a couple of comments like this. No one on here puts possession above anything else. The result is the main thing. But it is a fact that over the course of a season the teams that keep the ball better finish in the top half of the league. Also the way we play most of the time means that when we do come up against a poor team and can have more of the ball we have no idea how to use it because clearly the team are not set up or coached on a possession based game. This is also evident when playing lower league games.

I don't think games like last night should be used to mock fans who put value on their team keeping hold of the ball more.

Anybody but Lambert

Someone like Billy Davies or Ian Holloway would struggle to do much worse

Defending Lambert at this point is like claiming Barry Bannan is a champions league footballer

The stats do not lie and the records he has broken does not lie either

We had the perfect opportunity to finally get rid of him and our chairman decides to give him a 4 year deal beggars belief

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I know you did the wink thing but I've seen a couple of comments like this. No one on here puts possession above anything else. The result is the main thing. But it is a fact that over the course of a season the teams that keep the ball better finish in the top half of the league. Also the way we play most of the time means that when we do come up against a poor team and can have more of the ball we have no idea how to use it because clearly the team are not set up or coached on a possession based game. This is also evident when playing lower league games.

I don't think games like last night should be used to mock fans who put value on their team keeping hold of the ball more.

I don't think it should be used to mock fans who want more possession, but it does raise the point that the clamour around the possession stat is overplayed.

I'm not advocating our usual style, but take the Hull game for example.

We won that game, comfortably. But there's people on here who aren't happy with the performance because we didn't have enough of the ball.

Then compare that to last night, we lost comfortably but dominated possession.

It has to be used in context. Too many people seem to be focused on possession alone.

Â