Paul Lambert

limpid

People who were unhappy with how much we kept the ball against hull were probably unhappy because they know long term it won't get results. Because it hasn't for the whole time Lambert's been here.

The Liverpool game was a good win but we won't win many playing that way.

In his 3rd year you'd expect to see something he's built. But there's nothing and when we come across poor teams we are incapable of using the ball well. For me that's because of the way we play most games. So while its great to pick up the odd result you can tell it will do nothing for us long term.

• Like 3

I'm split at the moment. On the one hand, after 2 seasons under Lambert we should be better than this, suggesting he just isn't the man to take us forward. Our squad has definitely improved over the summer, so another manager could probably do better with us. Moyes mightn't be a bad shout, though it would make conversations with United fans awkward.

On the other hand, we did start this season rather well, and were it not for a virus in the team we could have gotten something out of Arsenal- we started that game excellently. And my understanding is that we weren't that bad against Chelsea or City. Last night was an unacceptable result, but the goal did come against the run of play, and I thought we had some nice play up to the nonexistent final ball.

Add into that mitigating factors like injuries to our best players and a horrid run of fixtures, and for me, there is definitely still a case for Lambert. Some of that is based on optimism, but not all.

I've been a supporter of Lambert, not so much with a belief that he's a great manager, but I believed that the constant changing of managers was counter-productive, and benefits of stability outweighed the ills of lambert as a manager.

Enough is now enough! And it's time for change. Someone posted on this or another thread the Einstein quote about expecting different results without changing anything, this is one if my biggest gripes - how many times have gabby and Weimann played as wide forwards and offered us nothing, I bet they both start against Spurs.

As for who should replace him then I'd like to think out of the box. My suggestion, and I've no idea where or if he's employed elsewhere,

would be Jorge Sampaoli, the manager of Chile in the World Cup.

They were a joy to watch, and with the exception of Sanchez (who's a wonderful player) their squad isn't so different to ours. What I saw was a team with belief, with a plan, with belief in the plan, playing a brand of skilful technical football.

I know it's fanciful, as no matter how bad it gets, I just can't see Lambert being given the push.

link

On his side’s lack of goals, Lambert added: “I tend not to get them down on that. They will come out of the traps on Sunday [against Tottenham] and I know we are going to be all right in that department because, when Benteke gets up to speed and, with Agbonlahor, Weimann, N’Zogbia and Bent, there are guys there with goals in them and it will happen.”

'It will happen'? What's next? 'The law of averages' or some other rubbish?

Of course, it may happen and I hope it does but he 'knows we are going to be all right in that department' and 'it will happen'. I hope there's something more to his management than that.

I don't see what was really wrong with how we were set up yesterday - I think the players were more to blame than Lambert.

so can you ignore the rubbish of the past two and a half years? Are you still confident in lamberts ability to improve things? Genuine question because the point seems that you are making is that again we cannot look at lambert and again it's another deflection excuse

What makes you think he's excusing the past two and half years? He clearly said there wasn't really much wrong with how we were set up yesterday. In fact, we played the way people were clamoring for us to play during the last 4 games. We had 65% possession, got into good crossing areas, and had half as many shots on target as we did the previous 7 games. The players (especially the wide players) were very wasteful and our forwards are all very much out of form. Whether or not Lambert can rectify that is debatable at best, but that's a different issue. 

interesting you mention the last bit, because that is exactly the issue that was being discussed!

The key thing is the last bit of Lex's statement though there because (again) it seemingly admonishes Lambert of blame. Now it could be that was not meant by the post but it certainly seems that way and one of the common factors of the people who have steadfastly supported Lambert on here is the ability to throw in some sort of excuse for the woeful performances of the past few years and none of those have been Lambert.

As you have answered the point raised what are your views (as someone I would say is more pro-Lambert than others?) on Lambert's ability to improve things, are you still confident in his abilities  and are we on the right course for an improvement?

Personally I am starting to become fed up with Lambert's inability to improve our play, in fact I'd say I'm bewildered as to why he can't get us to consistently play the way we did near the end of his first season (he's proven he can do it, and his Norwich team played good football as well but for some reason we play turgid stuff for the most part). I recognize that his hands are tied somewhat in terms of funds, but he's managed to assemble a decent team in three years in spite of that which he deserves some credit for, yet we somehow play worse than we did when he first took over (we had an awful squad then). It's extremely frustrating. 

• Like 1

Didn't wan't him here in the first place as i feared pretty much what we've seen for his duration here is what he'd accomplish.

Wanted him sacked during the 2012 christmas period, and have wanted him gone ever since.

So yeah I voted YES

• Like 2

Odds have dropped on Steve Bruce leaving Hull from 50-1 to 4-1. Would anyone take him here? Think he would do us well.

really hope your joking, that will go the way of McLeish

Steve Bruce is a miles better manager than Lambert, there's no comparison.  Why would he want to leave them to come here though.

that was a gutless performance the worst ive seen given the opposition, no subs until 2 down and grealish or Zog should have been involved, also Cole should have came on earlier and I dont know what he sees in Agbonlahor

though on a positive note we won teh possession as some fans wanted us to do ;)

I know you did the wink thing but I've seen a couple of comments like this. No one on here puts possession above anything else. The result is the main thing. But it is a fact that over the course of a season the teams that keep the ball better finish in the top half of the league. Also the way we play most of the time means that when we do come up against a poor team and can have more of the ball we have no idea how to use it because clearly the team are not set up or coached on a possession based game. This is also evident when playing lower league games.

I don't think games like last night should be used to mock fans who put value on their team keeping hold of the ball more.

I don't think it should be used to mock fans who want more possession, but it does raise the point that the clamour around the possession stat is overplayed.

I'm not advocating our usual style, but take the Hull game for example.

We won that game, comfortably. But there's people on here who aren't happy with the performance because we didn't have enough of the ball.

Then compare that to last night, we lost comfortably but dominated possession.

It has to be used in context. Too many people seem to be focused on possession alone.

No we didn't. We were clinging on by our finger tips at the end with no control of the game. We were comfortable at half time, but gradually got more and more nervous after long spells without the ball. Then the last 10 were awful and terrifying to watch.

We had more shots and possession than any other game this season because we were playing bottom of the league.

If we averaged 65% rather than 38% I have a feeling we'd be a little better off in the long run.

• Like 2

I will vote for a  fourth option. For me, he's got until the middle of december. If there is no improvement in the situation by then he has to go. We shouldn't be waiting for then to target any potential replacements either. Get those conversations done now. Line up the next guy and if nothing improves its a swift transition pre the Jan window. 

Yep, gotta go. Get pulis in. Christ I'd even take moyes! We've gradually become one of the worst football teams I've ever witnessed.

In what world is Pulis a better manager than Moyes?

I would take Moyes in a heartbeat, the job he done at Everton, the calibre of players he bought for some fees.

• Like 1

that was a gutless performance the worst ive seen given the opposition, no subs until 2 down and grealish or Zog should have been involved, also Cole should have came on earlier and I dont know what he sees in Agbonlahor

though on a positive note we won teh possession as some fans wanted us to do ;)

I know you did the wink thing but I've seen a couple of comments like this. No one on here puts possession above anything else. The result is the main thing. But it is a fact that over the course of a season the teams that keep the ball better finish in the top half of the league. Also the way we play most of the time means that when we do come up against a poor team and can have more of the ball we have no idea how to use it because clearly the team are not set up or coached on a possession based game. This is also evident when playing lower league games.

I don't think games like last night should be used to mock fans who put value on their team keeping hold of the ball more.

I don't think it should be used to mock fans who want more possession, but it does raise the point that the clamour around the possession stat is overplayed.

I'm not advocating our usual style, but take the Hull game for example.

We won that game, comfortably. But there's people on here who aren't happy with the performance because we didn't have enough of the ball.

Then compare that to last night, we lost comfortably but dominated possession.

It has to be used in context. Too many people seem to be focused on possession alone.

No we didn't. We were clinging on by our finger tips at the end with no control of the game. We were comfortable at half time, but gradually got more and more nervous after long spells without the ball. Then the last 10 were awful and terrifying to watch.

We had more shots and possession than any other game this season because we were playing bottom of the league.

If we averaged 65% rather than 38% I have a feeling we'd be a little better off in the long run.

You have to take into account the fact that we played last year's top 5 already as to why we're averaging 38% so far. We averaged 45% and 47% in the last 2 seasons. Personally I'd rather we stick to the counterattacking style, because we clearly are not good enough to break teams down while they sit back. 65% against the worst team in the league and not being able to score pretty much backs that up.

Â