Paul Lambert

limpid

Who was the last Villa boss to go on and join a decent club and be a success after Villa?

I think it needs to be remembered for many managers then Villa would be their peak anyway. Not so much now obviously but certainly during the last 30 odd years by leaving Villa to take a step up, certainly in England, there was only a handful of clubs you could go to.

Looking over the last 25 years Taylor is the only one who left to better himself. Atkinson always wanted the Vila job and when he was sacked he was never the same again as it knocked something out of him. When Little left us we were established in the top 6 and had in his two full seasons finished 4th and 5th. I think when he left Villa he knew he was on the way down and lost a bit of spark. Likewise Gregory. O’Leary I think just lost all interest, O’Neill again was never realistically going to take a step up from Aston Villa, McLeish’s level will always be Championship or struggling Prem sides.

Lambert given his age could yet come again but I doubt very much he will ever land a bigger job than the Aston Villa one and the same for Sherwood.

It is interesting when you hear managers speak, either when they arrive at the club or have departed and they all say what a massive club Villa is and that jobs don’t come much bigger. Even Souness the other day who has never had anything to do with us said this is still a big club and a lot will fancy the challenge. 

• Like 1

That's a good point Mark.  Maybe from here onwards, given our new hopefully-temporary position within the hierarchy of football, managers will have more ways to move up from us when they leave, but in the past (i.e. ignore the past 4 or 5 years) we were one of the top jobs and the only way to improve was Man Utd, Liverpool or an international job.  Obviously I ignore the Johnny-come-latelies like Chelsea and Citeh in the historical sense as they were mainly beneath us.

Sherwood for me can bounce back but he needs to go to a lower level (if his ego can handle it that is) or be a number two somewhere else

Lambert will bounce back I think he will get a job soon no doubt about it. I will wish Lambert well. He was a disaster final season but I have no ill feelings towards him whatsoever

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right decision to take a championship club looking for promotion. I think he'd have destroyed his career if he'd gone straight back into a relegation fighting prem team.

Can't say I wish him well, pretty much nearly destroyed my enjoyment of supporting my club. Think he will do decent.

Blackburn are under a transfer embargo and would be in major trouble if  they sold Rhodes in January.

One of the tougher championship jobs out there as had a look at their message board after Bowyer got sacked and most seem to want promotion as Burnley are up there.

Seems a very difficult job on the face of it.

Reading around and it seems Bowyer did a good job to "stablise" the club amongst the chaos involved with the owners, embargo etc.

If he found working with our board a bit difficult I'd imagine Blackburn are much worse.

Good luck to him though, wasn't really a fan of him or Sherwood but over the two I must admit Lambert edges it but both to be honest were out of depth at this level and it seems the footballing world agrees.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of football his team plays whether that be at Blackburn or his next job. I still believe that he's not a negative manager at heart or at least wasn't when he took the Villa job - something changed him.

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see what sort of football his team plays whether that be at Blackburn or his next job. I still believe that he's not a negative manager at heart or at least wasn't when he took the Villa job - something changed him.

Probably him having to rely on the likes of Bowery, Weimann and Gabby as strikers while Benteke and Kozak were laid up long term.

My friend who's a Blackburn fan says Blackburn have to sell a player for £4m + in order for the embargo to be removed, sounds strange but it would be a good club for him to go to if they got that shit sorted.

he's better suited to Fulham but good luck to him at Blackburn. His CV was good before us, and I think he'll have more success in the future too, though whether that's as a top Championship manager or mid tier Prem manager only time will tell.

Â