Paul Lambert

limpid

I hope and trust that he has learned from his time at Villa rather than been damaged by it.  I hope he goes back to the swashbuckling style that was his trademark at Norwich and his better performances at Villa.  They're a fair bit away from promotion in that league already, but with so many games to play and a lot of mediocrity above them, if he can get them clicking then you never know.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I hope and trust that he has learned from his time at Villa rather than been damaged by it.  I hope he goes back to the swashbuckling style that was his trademark at Norwich and his better performances at Villa.  They're a fair bit away from promotion in that league already, but with so many games to play and a lot of mediocrity above them, if he can get them clicking then you never know.

Learnt what though?

As far as we're concerned there is no evidence to suggest that over a sustained period, those players were good enough to finish any higher.

Sure if you take lamberts last 15 games and sherwoods first 15 games theyl probably be a big difference. 

But put the two in the same position (no new manager bounce etc) and I think we would likely see lambert as the better manager.

I suppose you could say he could learn from dodgy transfer dealings but his hands were pretty much tied in that sense.

It seems as though it didn't work with us of course due to where we were as a club, but due to lack of alternate evidence, we can't comment I don't think. For all we know he could have had villa punching well above their weight (and at points, I thought he had tbh).

• Like 2

You're agreeing with me then Woody because I think he did a good job here overall.  There's no doubt whatsoever that he's a considerably better manager than Sherwood.  And yes I do mean that I hope he learned from the hardship at Villa.  I fully expect that he will do well at Blackburn.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're agreeing with me then Woody because I think he did a good job here overall.  There's no doubt whatsoever that he's a considerably better manager than Sherwood.  And yes I do mean that I hope he learned from the hardship at Villa.  I fully expect that he will do well at Blackburn.

I'm with ya.

Lambert produced the worst 'football' I have ever seen down VP in his final season at the club. 

Interesting to see how he gets on

Edited by Xela

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Learnt what though?

As far as we're concerned there is no evidence to suggest that over a sustained period, those players were good enough to finish any higher.

Sure if you take lamberts last 15 games and sherwoods first 15 games theyl probably be a big difference. 

But put the two in the same position (no new manager bounce etc) and I think we would likely see lambert as the better manager.

I suppose you could say he could learn from dodgy transfer dealings but his hands were pretty much tied in that sense.

It seems as though it didn't work with us of course due to where we were as a club, but due to lack of alternate evidence, we can't comment I don't think. For all we know he could have had villa punching well above their weight (and at points, I thought he had tbh).

Is this . . . do I see right . . . Woody taking a position which isn't maximally negative on an issue? 

INCOMING!

pigs-fly.png?sfvrsn=0

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd imagine most championship fans would be very happy with him. I doubt they watched much of what he produced with us. 

Well my housemate watched plenty. He lives with me after all! Poor bastard has to endure it most weekends.

I think Lambert will be fine in the Championship. I imagine Blackburn will be in the Premier League within 2-3 years.

In the Championship you only have to play one way, and as long as you play that same way week in week out, and do it well, you'll have a good chance of being around playoffs at least. Unfortunately for Lambert, it's a little harder in the Premier League where every game needs to be handled a little differently with how you manage it. Individual players need to be micromanaged and in-game management is essential and he just didn't have that. 

We generally had one way of playing in the Premier League which was hugely dependent on Benteke. That was Lambert's biggest downfall. He tried, he failed, I wish him the best, but I'm glad he's no longer at AVFC.

Edited by PieFacE

Â