Paul Lambert

limpid

People hoping that Lambert is fired, need to pray for a takeover because there's no other way it's going to happen.

Fed up of hearing this, you have no factual proof of this. I keep saying, if the fans turn and VP s hostile every game, he will have to go. Also if fans don;t turn up to games he will go. Ok maybe not mid season, but at the end his contract will be terminated.

There's more evidence that points to him staying than going. For one thing, the CEO came out a week ago and publicly backed him. Not to mention that we've been in this situation before and Lerner has kept him on. In fact, that's probably one of the big indicators that Lerner won't sack him - we've been here before and stayed up so Lerner probably thinks the same will happen again.

Fans being hostile at games will do absolutely nothing.

Don't believe this. McLiesh was being backed 2 weeks before he got the chop and talking to Lerner about his next season. the fans can get him out, but it takes 90% of VP.

The football prior to the advent of the 'new style' certainly needed to be expanded upon but low-block, counter-attacking football was at least effective against superior footballing sides...kind of like Arsenal. Now we don't even do it for these games. This manager really doesn't have any clue what he is doing.

It's a foolish idea to alter the playing style mid-season, especially in the Premiership. I think this upcoming summer would've been a much better time to adopt a new style of play. However, I am clinging onto a faint hope that we'll click and start winning again this season.

I also get the impression that this change in style is chiefly Tom Fox's idea, not Lambert's. Maybe Lambert isn't fully comfortable with this possession based football?

Nothing wrong with changing the style, but you need to pick your games.

When he first changed style he wasn't positive enough. Today he went too open against the wrong side and failed to alter it.

I must agree he strikes me as having been instructed to change....hence the post match comments which seem to be, possibly, directed at someone.

I think that's the key issue when implementing a new style of play in the middle of the season. For the team to make any kind of progress in this new style, it needs to be fully adhered to - even against the superior possession based sides. There has to be a period of real-game learning when adopting a new style of football, thus assessing what the team needs to improve on and allowing the team to become familiar. I personally don't think training sessions will provide adequate feedback.

So if we're serious about improving our play, then it's best to view today's defeat as an education, Arsenal are obviously what we're aspiring to be in terms of style. It's much more easier to achieve this objective in the lower leagues (a la Swansea/Southampton) under less pressure and against lesser-ability. I do think we're dicing with death by doing this mid-season, our confidence must be battered by today's performance and result.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Everyone saying sack Lambert but can't see any names being put forward. Sacking him 2/3's through the season would be idiotic. His contract certainly needs to be reviewed in the summer though.

Why should we, as mere fans, have to put names forward? Surely this is the responsibility of those in high paid positions at AVFC to do.

As for sacking Lambert with two thirds of the season gone being idiotic, why would it, would it lead to us losing almost every game and not scoring?

• Like 1

Don't believe this. McLiesh was being backed 2 weeks before he got the chop and talking to Lerner about his next season. the fans can get him out, but it takes 90% of VP.

Ok then, but what about the second point? Lerner has stuck with him before in periods of terrible form.

How do you know the fans can get him out?

Everyone saying sack Lambert but can't see any names being put forward. Sacking him 2/3's through the season would be idiotic. His contract certainly needs to be reviewed in the summer though.

You've got a point there about other names. There really aren't many great choices out there that I know of. Tim Sherwood? Jens Keller? Nope. Nope. When you really think hard, it seems all the best ones are spoken for, unless I'm missing something?

I would literally take anybody. I don't know how anyone could want him in charge for a second longer.

Not really, tho, not if you stop for a second and consider. Felix Magath took Fulham from bad to worse to total disaster, for example. We would need a proven winner who could steady the ship.

Well, were at 'total disaster' IMO so I'm not sure your point applies.

I'm not too arsed about results, league ATM, I just want to feel interested again. Then il start worrying about the results.

Not the best choice, but Tim Shewood could keep us up, Not a great tacticain but takes no shit. Im 100% convinced its a disipline issue with Lambert. It just seems to easy to play for Villa, an the team is insanely inconsistant.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you mention discipline after you mentioned Sherwood. The guys attitude is like a child, just watch his behaviour vs Benfica and quotes after the game

Why should we, as mere fans, have to put names forward? Surely this is the responsibility of those in high paid positions at AVFC to do.

As for sacking Lambert with two thirds of the season gone being idiotic, why would it, would it lead to us losing almost every game and not scoring?

Its a strange one, why not ask us to scout players too!

I would have been in the camp that sacking him now would not help but if he can't learn from mistakes it's incompetence.

If Paul Lambert doesn't send us out next week in some variation of what I'm about to describe then I officially concede to relegation, no more anxiously waiting for kick off,no more hoping against hope. We will be done.

The back 4 is fine so long as it's back 4 and so long as Aly is at left back.

Sanchez should be partnered by Westwood in a deep midfield role. In front of them we need Delph always looking to take the ball off Sanchez when he inevitably breaks up an opposition attack or receives the ball off the centre backs.

The reason for his poor distribution today was being forced into playing more incisive passes than he is capable. Due to no options. The sign of a good Sanchez performance will be no Fabregas assist, not how well he plays 40 yard passes. Let him do his f-ing job!

Delph likes to be a box to box type midfielder, well he's not allowed to. If he's deeper than Sanchez or Westwood then he's out of position and the system breaks down.

Sinclair and Gil need to hug the touchline. They can track back and get forward but attacking width is their responsibility.

Benteke is being made look like a donkey at the moment. Just like Sanchez today. Does anyone not believe a transfer to a top 6 club would result in him destroying defences again? He currently has 2 cbs on him every game with NO ONE ELSE TO WORRY ABOUT!! If we move their defenders about with attacking width (Sinclair and Gil) and players getting forward from behind him (Delph) he will have space and he will score goals.

This formation also allows us to park the bus if we need to without a major tactical reshuffle. No shame in that against Chelsea.

Anything else is like peeking at your opponents hand in poker, seeing a straight and playing your 2 pairs in the hope that you'll win. Lambert will be making the best crop of players we've had in 4 seasons look like relegation fodder.

• Like 4

He needs bailing out by the chairman or sacking as he has lost the plot and it seems like he is trying to make things hard for himself but in reality he is losing it. His tactics were shit again today and while we had a go at Arsenal we were left so open at the back against probably the best team in the league to exploit it, as dumb as it gets. He wants wants to play possession football but then leaves our best passer out of the team.?  Richardson was tripe last week but he starts him again.?  Cleverley continues to offer nothing but starts every game.?  Benteke needs dropping but continues to play every minute of every game.?  

There is no time left for him imo as he has put it beyond doubt at this stage that he is lacking in too many areas when it comes to being a top manager, his only saving grace will be a Bent like signing or at a push, an assistant who can drill the team better and get our best 11 on the pitch performing to the required level.

Honest question and not a wind up. You seem to have changed your views on Lambert after the game today?

I've always put blame on Lambert over his time here when I believe he deserved it but I also was sympathetic to the circumstances he was working under.  He has assembled a decent squad for the first time this season especially in midfield and defense but continues to baffle me with his decisions as I alluded to in my previous post. I still want him to do well and it would be great if he got in someone tomorrow upfront who could make a difference as we have been let down by Gabby and Benteke alot this season while they look like they couldn't care less.  I guess more than anything I'm becoming disillusioned with it all as things just keep getting worse and time is running out.

• Like 1

I also get the impression that this change in style is chiefly Tom Fox's idea, not Lambert's. Maybe Lambert isn't fully comfortable with this possession based football?

I respect your opinion but no manager who has any respect for himself is going to stand for a newly appointed CEO who has never managed a football team at any level as far as we are aware tell him half way through the season to change the team playing style. If that was the case then Lambert really is totally spineless and nothing more than a lap dog happy to pick up his wages and go along with whatever he is told. For what it is worth I don't believe for a second that Lambert would be that spineless.

Depends how its done. If it was a direct order - then Lambo or anyone wouldn't take it - but if it was for example:-

'Hey Paul, great work so far, ive had a word with Randy - he might be able to rustle some funds for players, but ideally would like to see a bit a panache on the field, its up to you paul, you run the playing side - do you think you could lay some foundations now, and we will top it up witha player or 2 in Jan ?"

Not the best choice, but Tim Shewood could keep us up, Not a great tacticain but takes no shit. Im 100% convinced its a disipline issue with Lambert. It just seems to easy to play for Villa, an the team is insanely inconsistant.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I'd give Lambert a 20 year contract before I employed Tim Sherwood.

I'd probably have McLeish back before I employed Tim Sherwood.

I'd take Sherwood but then I'd probably take anyone over Lambert because it really can't be worse.

He might temporarily improve things on the pitch in the short term.

But we'd have a ridiculous human being as manager, who would embarass us off the pitch.

I don't think the short term improvement would be worth it to have someone like Sherwood as manager.

if the choice was Relegation under Lambert or stay up with Sherwood, and those were the ONLY two options, then I'd take Sherwood. But that's it.

As it stands, I don't believe we'll be relegated, and luckily there are loads of other options than Tim **** Sherwood.

Sack Lambert, fine. But employ somebody better than Sherwood.

• Like 2

can't take anymore today.off to watch the american egg throwers.like a dork i booked next week off which means i'll be sitting with my laptop from about 8 tomorrow morning till after midnight getting anxious over who we might sign.i'm almost 50 for christ sake.when does it get easier,man i need a drink.

can't take anymore today.off to watch the american egg throwers.like a dork i booked next week off which means i'll be sitting with my laptop from about 8 tomorrow morning till after midnight getting anxious over who we might sign.i'm almost 50 for christ sake.when does it get easier,man i need a drink.

I will ease your anxiety. We won't buy anyone. And Lambert is staying for 3.5 years at least.

Sleep easy my friend.

Â