Paul Lambert

limpid

Not exonerating Lambert at all, but the more I think about it, the more I blame the absolutely pathetic performance of Sanchez today. Think about it, he was our main midfielder today and he passed to Arsenal more than he did to any of our players!

Oh, come on. What about the absolutely pathetic performances of Richardson, Cleverly, Benteke, the non too clever performance of Guzan, and the distinctly average performances of Okore and Hutton.

At Aston Villa right now, there is nothing contrived or manufactured about the moaning. Given that they haven't seen their side score a league goal since 20th December, the whingeing of Villa supporters could not be more justified.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/record-breaking-rubbishness-aston-villa-5086775

The sympathy is almost worse than the derision.

• Like 2

It might sound perverse, but I'm actually glad to see media outlets finally ripping into the team. This isn't a sudden dip in form, it's a long slow slump under Lambert and Lerner that we've been party to for a long time, and for me it's been frustrating to watch our team slowly dying only to have it shrugged off as "oh, villa will be okay." It's been long demonstrated that Lerner doesn't care what the fans think, but mounting media pressure might make him finally take notice. And perhaps if former players and former managers start pointing out the flaws in Lambert's tactics, maybe it'll dawn on him that what he's trying isn't working.

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 2

The football prior to the advent of the 'new style' certainly needed to be expanded upon but low-block, counter-attacking football was at least effective against superior footballing sides...kind of like Arsenal. Now we don't even do it for these games. This manager really doesn't have any clue what he is doing.

It's a foolish idea to alter the playing style mid-season, especially in the Premiership. I think this upcoming summer would've been a much better time to adopt a new style of play. However, I am clinging onto a faint hope that we'll click and start winning again this season.

I also get the impression that this change in style is chiefly Tom Fox's idea, not Lambert's. Maybe Lambert isn't fully comfortable with this possession based football? 

Richard Keys is laying into Lambert on BeIn Sports, saying that interview could've been given after any game in the last 12 weeks. He says if the manager's message is constantly just to keep going, then how is anything going to change.

Spot on. A few pundits have been saying the same this weekend.

What else can Lambert say? How do you react to defeats?

How about 'I got the tactics wrong, they are good players, mostly internationals, but I am failing in my coaching and tactics.

• Like 3

The football prior to the advent of the 'new style' certainly needed to be expanded upon but low-block, counter-attacking football was at least effective against superior footballing sides...kind of like Arsenal. Now we don't even do it for these games. This manager really doesn't have any clue what he is doing.

It's a foolish idea to alter the playing style mid-season, especially in the Premiership. I think this upcoming summer would've been a much better time to adopt a new style of play. However, I am clinging onto a faint hope that we'll click and start winning again this season.

I also get the impression that this change in style is chiefly Tom Fox's idea, not Lambert's. Maybe Lambert isn't fully comfortable with this possession based football?

Nothing wrong with changing the style, but you need to pick your games.

When he first changed style he wasn't positive enough. Today he went too open against the wrong side and failed to alter it.

I must agree he strikes me as having been instructed to change....hence the post match comments which seem to be, possibly, directed at someone.

Genuine question, not a dig: what gives you that impression?

You could see the difference between us and Arsenal going forward.

Arsenal, every ball was controlled and brought down impeccably, hardly any passes were wasted and they played sublime balls at all angles and lofted dinks and lobs forward that gave their players the chance to run into space. All their players had the ability to turn, take their players on and move the ball forward.

Villa, we tend to find a line going forward where the play stops and goes flat, it then goes backward. Only Gil had the control and drive to do anything going forward with the ball. The rest of the team don't take any responsibility in possession, even Delph who can dribble and take on players only did this around two or three times. Sanchez and Richardson too often under hit passes or dwelt too long and lost the ball. Cleverly is better in possession but cautious to the point of tedium and rarely takes anyone on. 

Possession football is fine but if we can't get the ball into the channels then we need to hit it long, it's only hoof ball if it goes back to the opposition.

The bottom line is, no matter who we bring in, if we can't get Gabby, Delph, Benteke and Weimann playing well we will have no foundation to build on.

Also people have said losing Vlaar wouldn't be a big deal, but he wouldn't have made the mistakes Okore did today.

Cissokho also would have mopped up some of the attacks as Richardson can't defend his way out of a paper bag.

If we are going to insist on possession football then it has to be a case of attack is the best form of defence. So against Hull lets line up like the below, if we get over run take Gabby off and bring on Sanchez or Cleverly:

---- Benteke ----

Gabby

Gil ---- Sinclair

Westwood --- Delph

Cissokho -- Vlaar (if fit) --- Clark/Okore ---- Hutton

Guzan

We could even trial the above against Chelsea as lets face it we'll get spanked so who cares who we play

Well it is just a feeling. I couldn't understand why he changed style in December in the first place. I wanted him to, but was stunned that he did...it is just so unusual a thing to happen. Even then it felt like maybe he had been influenced. Then his comments recently about the owner and CEO don't like the run....obvious I know but it just jarred with me. Then today....is he really so stupid to play so openly at arsenal when he has had good results against the top 4 playing 451.

Then his post match comment which seemed like he was telling people you can't play attacking/ open football against the likes of arsenal....well who was he telling ?

Just a feeling like I said.

B8wxAR8IgAA8Zhy.jpg

Definite signs of improvement in terms of the football being played

I see no other option but to piss myself laughing at this.

It's got to the point now where whenever i see Lambert pretending to be a football manager i piss myself laughing

Well it is just a feeling. I couldn't understand why he changed style in December in the first place. I wanted him to, but was stunned that he did...it is just so unusual a thing to happen. Even then it felt like maybe he had been influenced. Then his comments recently about the owner and CEO don't like the run....obvious I know but it just jarred with me. Then today....is he really so stupid to play so openly at arsenal when he has had good results against the top 4 playing 451.

Then his post match comment which seemed like he was telling people you can't play attacking/ open football against the likes of arsenal....well who was he telling ?

Errrrr, yeah! He could have changed for Arsenal, no ones threatening him, an he is the manager. Or is it worst than we think and he is just a puppet.

• Like 1

Errrrr, yeah! He could have changed for Arsenal, no ones threatening him, an he is the manager. Or is it worst than we think and he is just a puppet.

I did get the impression that the sudden change in football philosophy was not down to Lambert but was down to Fox having a word in his ear

The drop in attendances due to the dire football being played at the time must have had something to do with it

Â